Thread: We're coming back to Alaska again.

Default We're coming back to Alaska again.

Last year was a motorcycle ride out west. The year before was backpacking Wyoming, this year we have decided to return to the Kenai Penn one more time........this time however, we are bringing the wives. Acutally renting a motor home this time, rather then the U-Haul and blue tarp.

Here is the schedule so far.

Aug 25…..arrive in Anchorage and drive to Hope and Resurrection Creek.

Aug 26…..Spend the day in Hope.

Aug 27…..Leave Hope and White Water Raft on Six Mile Creek, then hit the Soldotna Area, maybe some fishing on the Russian or Kenia.

Aug 28…..Fly into the Upper Russian; spend the night at the Upper.

Aug 29…..Hike to the Middle Cabin and stay the night.

Aug 30…..Hike out to Civilization and spend the night in the Sterling Soldotna area.

Aug 31….Drift the Kenai River

Sept 1…..????

Sept 2…..????

Sept 3…..drive to Anchorage, turn in and go home.

Last time we drifted the Kenai we put in at Skilak Lake and took out at Bings landing. We're planning on doing the stretch above Skilak Lake this time, however the Kenai is optional. If there is better river to drift, we're open to suggestions. Just looking to do some fishing, but mostly would like to see some wildlife.

Sept 1st and 2nd are still open. I was thinking maybe drift another river or do a drive to either Homer or Seward........or possibly rent equipment and dig for Razor Clams on the beach.

Thoughts, suggestions, we're thinking Silvers should be running and we've been too early on our previous trips.

Silvers will be slowing down a little by then but you should still be able to tie into a few on the lower or maybe in the salt. There are others here that have the run timing down far better than me. The upper Kenai is gorgeous that time of year and the bow's will be out pretty good up there.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

You are going to be mighty busy from the 27th-31st. You might want to drift the upper Keni one day, then the gorge the 2nd day, should be very good C&R rainbow fishing and some silvers. Nothing wrong with spending the last extra day on the lower river for Silvers. Talk with your guide, make sure the gude isn't one who likes to get you your limit and go in early, let him know that you expect your full 8 hour fishing C & R if you feel like it at the time. Be sure you bring rain gear, often lots of rain in August. Have fun, Bud
    Wasilla

Thanks for the input. It is always a balancing act when we come to Alaska, you want to get in as much as you can without too much. I learned that on our first trip. We had a blast but we did 7 rivers, two lakes, the 12 mile hike out of the Russian, two 6 mile hikes and a day of Halibut fishing......in 7 days.....we slept the whole flight home.

We've never used a guide. I spend a few months getting information, we rent rafts or planes and away we go. Any imput on Seward vs Homer....we're thinking of renting kayaks and do a day on the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    You are going to be mighty busy from the 27th-31st. You might want to drift the upper Keni one day, then the gorge the 2nd day, should be very good C&R rainbow fishing and some silvers. Nothing wrong with spending the last extra day on the lower river for Silvers. Talk with your guide, make sure the gude isn't one who likes to get you your limit and go in early, let him know that you expect your full 8 hour fishing C & R if you feel like it at the time. Be sure you bring rain gear, often lots of rain in August. Have fun, Bud
    Bud, just a head up, Silvers have a high rate of C&R mortality, the highest of all the salmon, especially in the lower stretches of the river. The regs for the Lower River do not allow any fishing after a limit is kept, in order to reduce C&R mortality. Anglers may C&R before retaining their 2 silvers but it is not encouraged due the the high mortality. F&G has had to move some of their research efforts due to killing too many Silvers in their study. THey moved to the middle section (below the Moose River) and they were still getting a lot of mortality (I personally witnessed this). I think F&G is either done with the study now or have suspended it as I have not seen them netting for a couple years now.

There are other sections of the river that you may continue to fish after retaining 2 silvers, most guides offer two trips, a purely silver trip, which guides will go in after a limit of silvers and other trips where guides will go target trout or sockeyes (early in August) after catching a limit of silvers (if they are lucky enough to get a limit) so to not target silvers for purely c&r. There are costs differences between the trips.

It is important to inquire with your guide what your expectations are and what kind of trip you want. If an angler chooses to us the services of a guide I would suggest talking/emailing multiple times with your guide to get to know him/her and get a feel if your personalities and goals mesh.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Bud, just a head up, Silvers have a high rate of C&R mortality, the highest of all the salmon, especially in the lower stretches of the river. The regs for the Lower River do not allow any fishing after a limit is kept, in order to reduce C&R mortality. Anglers may C&R before retaining their 2 silvers but it is not encouraged due the the high mortality. F&G has had to move some of their research efforts due to killing too many Silvers in their study. THey moved to the middle section (below the Moose River) and they were still getting a lot of mortality (I personally witnessed this). I think F&G is either done with the study now or have suspended it as I have not seen them netting for a couple years now.

There are other sections of the river that you may continue to fish after retaining 2 silvers, most guides offer two trips, a purely silver trip, which guides will go in after a limit of silvers and other trips where guides will go target trout or sockeyes (early in August) after catching a limit of silvers (if they are lucky enough to get a limit) so to not target silvers for purely c&r. There are costs differences between the trips.

It is important to inquire with your guide what your expectations are and what kind of trip you want. If an angler chooses to us the services of a guide I would suggest talking/emailing multiple times with your guide to get to know him/her and get a feel if your personalities and goals mesh.
    Thank you sir, that saved me a lot of typing. Rep sent.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

You could spend a day on the Kasilof as well.

2Paws, where you heading out from? I just left MI and there's a site there, guy with the same handle, believe I had talked to him about Alaska before I moved up here.

Yup, same guy, jsut saw your post on MS about heading up.

2Paws, Your missing the boat if you don't make the drive down to Seward and try a little fishing in the salt!

Thanks Logman......we pretty much have our sites set on Homer, fishing off the Homer Spit and Kayaking in the Bay, but could change it if warranted, actually may change it based on weather. You know how Alaska is, you have to have a plan "A", "B" and "C". On out past trips we did not make it to either Seward or Homer and we definately one to do at least one.......thanks for the input.

Hello fellow Michigander!!! Good luck on your trip, I've been to AK the past 3 years and last year we got there right smack dab of a huge run on July 16-19th. If you need me to to find anything out for you let me know I have friends that live in Anchorage and Soldotna. And will be back this year from July 13-23... Are you renting a motorhome here (michigan) and driving up? I met some guys at the Swiftwater Campground last year that were from Rockwood (small world).