Thread: top ten

Default top ten

being all the questions on gear at times has anyone ever done a top ten list or something similar so people looking for gear could look at one post of lets say top ten mountain stoves ortop ten tents or top ten boots maybe a poll or somethings and some posts of opinions.just seems that it would be easier then searching through the forum at times..I know it might be difficult due to the amount of gear out there but seems a lot of the same names in gear keep popping up..just thinking out loud...
    Dave

I think "gear" as a subject is way too subjective, and conditons statewide too variable, to make a "top" list. I like using lots of different kinds of gear; usually the high-end stuff is going to be best, no matter what. Now, a "top rifle"....that one should be easy to figure out
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    I think "gear" as a subject is way too subjective, and conditons statewide too variable, to make a "top" list. I like using lots of different kinds of gear; usually the high-end stuff is going to be best, no matter what. Now, a "top rifle"....that one should be easy to figure out
    I do agree that gear is subjective and I was even thinking that as I was typing the thread and I just posted in another thread that gear can be area specific so I also agree with you on that but some gear always seems to be the same recomendations..and I tend to agree on the cost factor which case maybe number 3 on the list may be more budget minded then number one and depending on how much use item will get may be a better choice to that indivudual....ahh the gun thing we had to go there on the very first post huh.....

I'd have to put my Swarovski binos at he top of a top 10 list.....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I'd have to put my Swarovski binos at he top of a top 10 list.....
    mine too even after 17 hard hunting and guiding years....

1. simms waders: waste-high with good lugged sole boots with parachute cord as laces.

2. Swarvoski 10X42 binos

3. water purification treatment (AquaMira drops)

4. Uncle Ben's deet

5. GPS (Garmin Colorado or Oregon model)

6. Inflatable that suits your desired performance and load hauling capacity with shallow draft and drag handles

7. food: 2lbs per day per person (minimum).

8. fire starting kit (no lighters). steel wool and battery, birch bark supply, metal match striker.

9. waterproof drybags (Watershed)

10. Sat phone

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    mine too even after 17 hard hunting and guiding years....
    Got ya beat Bear, my Swaro 10x40's have 18 years of abuse and still ticking strongly! Sent em in to Swaro once as I dropped them out of a tree and broke the strap holder off and they fixed them free and put in new lenses - I only had to pay shipping! Def one of the top ten things I pack for any hunt - even some fishing trips!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Have had mine for 18 years too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    1. simms waders: waste-high with good lugged sole boots with parachute cord as laces.

2. Swarvoski 10X42 binos

3. water purification treatment (AquaMira drops)

4. Uncle Ben's deet

5. GPS (Garmin Colorado or Oregon model)

6. Inflatable that suits your desired performance and load hauling capacity with shallow draft and drag handles

7. food: 2lbs per day per person (minimum).

8. fire starting kit (no lighters). steel wool and battery, birch bark supply, metal match striker.

9. waterproof drybags (Watershed)

10. Sat phone
    Couldn't have said it any better!! Priority of food, water shelter should always be in everyone's top 10 along with emergency communications and bug dope! I recently got a pair of Simms G4z waders so my $100 specials will be getting replaced!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

How about reducing to top 10 you would walk out of camp with for the hunt
    1 boots
    2 pants
    3 jacket
    4 rain gear
    5 pack
    6 glass
    7 spotting scope
    8 tarp/shelter
    9 rifle/ammo
    10 knife
    Its basic and may help answer most newbie questions, as Larry and TWB have said

Quote Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
    How about reducing to top 10 you would walk out of camp with for the hunt
    1 boots
    2 pants
    3 jacket
    4 rain gear
    5 pack
    6 glass
    7 spotting scope
    8 tarp/shelter
    9 rifle/ammo
    10 knife
    Its basic and may help answer most newbie questions, as Larry and TWB have said
    Spotting scope and shelter don't go in my day pack, but I never leave camp without matches, headlamp, and dry socks.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I like Fergy's breakdown. Everyone is going to have a different idea of what 10 different pieces of gear may be important to them though. I may list a stove instead of a knife.

1. Lowa Tibets
    2. Marmot Scree Pants/Kuiu Attack Pants
    3. Sitka Celsius jacket
    4. Patagonia torrent shell
    5. Barney's Hunter Pack
    6. Leupold 10x42 binos
    7 Jet Boil Stove
    8. Big Agnes Copper Spur Tent
    9. Ruger 7mm Rem Mag. w/ a zeiss 3x9 conquest scope and 160 gr. Federal Premium Nosler Accubonds
    10 Havalon/Helle

These may not be the best things there are but it's what I have and what has worked for me.

I don't have a top ten list but I have a couple of must haves that have proven very valuable while hunting:

1. Wife
    2. Jet boil
    3. Tarp
    4. best quality sleeping bag you can afford designed for two. Currently we have a Northface that rocks.
    5. Mountain Hardware tent if your packing light
    6. Bottle of Crown for when the wife starts getting uncomftorable and annoying. It helps me handle it.
    7. Box of wine for the the wife when I start getting uncomftorable and annoying. It helps her handle me.
    8. Package of back woods cigars for around the campfire.

Thats the must have items I take. It's a little different then already posted but works

1 Scarpa
    2 acu when warm/Stormcloth cold
    3 Stormcloth hooded
    4 gen 3 Gortex
    5 Barneys
    6 Leupold Gold 10x42
    7 Gerber freman
    8 4 mil polycloth
    9 338 X-Bolt/3x9 Leupold
    10 Vortex 20x60

Long way from high dollar but puts meat on the table yearly

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    I don't have a top ten list but I have a couple of must haves that have proven very valuable while hunting:

1. Wife
    2. Jet boil
    3. Tarp
    4. best quality sleeping bag you can afford designed for two. Currently we have a Northface that rocks.
    5. Mountain Hardware tent if your packing light
    6. Bottle of Crown for when the wife starts getting uncomftorable and annoying. It helps me handle it.
    7. Box of wine for the the wife when I start getting uncomftorable and annoying. It helps her handle me.
    8. Package of back woods cigars for around the campfire.

Thats the must have items I take. It's a little different then already posted but works
    Fantastic!! The booze will weigh a bit, and I'm sure you'll be packing both the Crown and the Wine, but it will certainly be worth it.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

Sockeye, It is worth the weight. I have found some pretty uncomftorable places to pitch a tent after a wet and miserable day. Trust me when I say the weight is worth it...

My 'Top ten' are the same things I bring along each and every time I travle. The weather is sooooo different at different times of year, that 'Clothes' are just 'One" thing to me, as I dress carefully, and wear up to 20 things that are clothing alone, and would defeat this list ~~LOL!!~~

#1 My rifle,

#2 A small internal framed rucksack

#3, My Possibles bag with ammo pouch, gun cleaning/tool kit, candles, sharpening stone, fire kit, toilet paper, small Firstaid kit, spoon, fork, wire, extra knife and compass

#4, My cook kit, a water bottle with metal cup and with my small pot (with food for the day stuffed in it),

#5, My belt and knife. They go together. Th eknife is a 4 inch blade that dissassembles Meats like any knife does, fom Mosse to Mice. The belt carrys the knife while holding my jacket down, heat in , Bugs and cold out . The belt also lets me turn the front of my jacket into a big 'pocket' that hold and keeps my camera, VHF and flashlight, only a zip away, and warm for batteries

#6, Good clothing, appropriate for the day

#7, In Summer, Good German officers leather knee high boots. Waterproof, light, leather that fits my feet perfectly on long walks and keeps me dry in wet Tundra. Cossaks to Cowboys know the value of a god pair of boots.
    In winter a pair of 'Baffin Boots' with doubled liners and extra felt insoles. My snowmachine heat exchangers keep my runing boards damp and even cook patterns into the rubber soles of the boots, but the really are best.
    While hunting on foot, a pair of Caribou muks.

#8, I carry a small 10X12 poly tarp as shelter, or dragging loads across tundra, and protecting meats during transport in boat or sled.

#9, I carry a few loops of rope.

#10, Theres my my combo tool walking stick/ice pick/rifle rest/tent pole/lance, according to season.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

1) some form of synthetic stock/stainless gun
    2) satellite phone (i like the iridium 9555)
    3) garmin 62st gps
    4) AO 10 (arctic oven)
    5) muck boots (i prefer them over xtra tuffs)
    6) nice bino's i like the leupolds wind river/cascades in the 8x for thick stuff and the 10x for longer range) they're not so expensive that if i destroy them i will feel awful like a pair of swarvoskis
    7) good rain gear (i like HH) a little heavier than some but in my opinion a little more durable
    8) good socks (smart wool)
    9) water filter/titanium pot to melt snow and purify water
    10) msr pocket rocket stove

had good luck so far with all this stuff.