Thread: Hawk Vittles freeze dried food????

Default Hawk Vittles freeze dried food????

Anyone give these a try,if so how are they and which ones are your favorites?

stid2677 has tried quite a few of them and gives them good reviews. I'm planning to order a few varieties soon to give them a try. I like Mountain House, but after 3 or 4 days I've run the gamut of the flavors that I like and am ready for something different.

Fellas - Alaska dinner factory does ready made meals, I spoke to the manager not long ago about doing a dehydrated kinda thing for outdoorsman.

If they see enough interest they might market such a thing. I'll be calling again to talk to the owner as they were out of the country at the time.

Same concept as Hawk Vittles but on a local level, potentially.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I plan on tapping into this product as well for the upcoming season. As Brian said, mix these in with some Mtn House and give yourself a variety of flavors.
    I like that he uses quality ingredients and offers gluten free products for those with an allergy.

I was trying to find these for a while. I forgot the name, so I did a search for Stid's sheep hunt " double rammy whammy" where he gives them a good field test.

I was just looking into these today. I was wondering what the serving sizes are like? I saw the single serving sizes were about 5 ounces, which is the same as the double serving for the MH. I just want to see if that weight is food or package?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I was just looking into these today. I was wondering what the serving sizes are like? I saw the single serving sizes were about 5 ounces, which is the same as the double serving for the MH. I just want to see if that weight is food or package?

They are just the right size for me, for a meal. The packaging is very light, just a plastic bag with paper label.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Do they cook the same way Mountain House does? Just add boiling water, stir, and let it sit for about 10 minutes?

Steve, do you have any recommended meals?

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Do they cook the same way Mountain House does? Just add boiling water, stir, and let it sit for about 10 minutes?

Steve, do you have any recommended meals?
    They take a longer soak, I like mine about 20 minutes. I boil the water in my Jetboil and save a little water in the bottom and put the bag of food into the cup to keep it warm and help rehydrate. The bags are not as stiff as MH so I also eat it right out of the bag in the jetboil cup.

Both Lasagnas are my favorite, then the Sweet Italian Pasta, Hot Italian Pasta, Spicy Chicken, Cowboy Pasta.

I have not tried any of the seafood, as I tend to shy away from dried seafood of any type.

I really like them and still eat a few MH, variety is nice.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Sounds good, those were the exact meals I was looking at ordering. I was also going to try out the hasbrowns, eggs and sausage breakfast.

Thanks for the advice, I am going to order some and try them out next week.

I got some in and i am going to test them out when my new Whispelrite Universal gets in ( since we can't use our reactors/jet boils anymore)! I ordered I a sampling including has hash browns eggs, sausage, grits also got spicy italian pasta, and a few others. I wanted to test them out before my hunt and make sure they agree with me . I will let you know how they work out. They sent me a cozy to keep the meals warm while they hydrate...

I am going to do the same thing. I would hate to be up in the mountains with some really nasty food! I am still going to throw in a few beef stroganof MH meals, as those are my favorite. I am going to search around for a few deserts too. MH doesn't have much variety in the desert section.