Thread: Avet reel for halibut questions

Default Avet reel for halibut questions

Do any of you use Avets for Halibut? I am thinking of picking up an Avet 2 speed for Halibut. any thoughts on them for Halibut? Models?

I now a guy that has 6 Avets in his barn because they would not hold up on his charter boat. He was having to have them rebult every year If you are set on a two speed go Penn Int or Shimano Tiagra!!!!! My Tiarga reels last all year without any work needed, just keep them clean and lubed.

Lol I know guy whoo... Haha well I first hand. Avet are good we have 4 on our boat never had a problem and love them. The friend come our boat also comment of the set up and like them a lot. Thanks mike
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I'am sure they can work great for most people, but will they hold up to people that don't know what they are doing 120 day every summer? Shimano Tiagra and Penn Int reels will take the abuse and keep working! Do you put yours through hell over 100 days each summer? I have 8 Tiagra reels that I used for 7 years chartering some road rash but all work as good as new!

I don't have any Avet's for halibut, but my Avet's on my trolling rigs have been awesome! I would not hesitate to buy a biggun! My personal But reel is a Shimano Tyrnos 30II, which I would also not hesitate to buy again. I haven't hauled up a door with it yet, but it's put plenty of medium sized fish in the boat, and in a hurry, that 2 speed is wicked!

Note, I don't run a charter and doubt I'll ever in my lifetime put as much use into my reals as one season on a charter. I think that holds for most of us.

The first question is are you using a bait rod and heavy sinkers, or jigging? Makes a big difference on what reel you choose.

For jigging I'm a big fan of the jx, holds plenty of braid and reasonably light. No need for a two speed on a jigging rod because you aren't pulling up 3+ pounds of lead. It's the heavy sinkers that require gearing down, not fighting the fish. My only beef with the jx is IMHO it could use another 5# of drag for stronger anglers.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

MGH55 have your buddy call me Alaskan 4 Star Charters I would like to buy them

Hi I own 12 of them have had them on my charter boat for over 6 years with only 2 problems. i wont own any other real
    I have used all of them and found the Avet to be the best over all I run the 3/0 and 4/0 units all are 2 speed and they also
    are made in a left hand unit you wont be unhappy
    Alaskan 4 Star Charters

I have 4 HX5/2 and really like them. My kids (6&8) can put the reels in low gear and they have no problem reeling up fish!
    They sure seem smooth to me! I paid about $400.00 a piece.

You might want to consider one of the avet raptors, I could see the sx and jx as being about perfect halibut reels.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have an Avet SX, which I've used a bit for bottom fishing, including some halibut. It's a nice reel, and they are definitely priced really well. My only issue with the avets is that the anti-reverse doesn't kick in as quickly as I would like it too. Not a deal breaker, but for jigging I prefer a reel that doesn't have that much slop.

I just finished taking apart, cleaning, lubing and putting together a pair of Avet MX 6/4 reels that have three years of service with very little care after fishing--I may have soaked them in fresh water 3-4 times each summer but that was IT! There was only a minor amount of pitting on the drag plate and it was a breeze to take them down and put them together. I just used this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW3Om3fqWcg
    Yes, the Avets don't have as much drag as some other reels but it IS adjustable on-the-fly and this might be a plus-feature for guides who don't want customers breaking off trophy fish...

This experience contrasts with a pair of those little Okuma Andros reels. Both suffered significant drag-plate pitting from a single year of admittedly tough use. They were fairly easy to take apart and service. I'm already wondering if I should order an extra drag plate as those little reels ROCK...even with big lings and the 148lb. 'but that my girlfriend landed. Hope this helps!

IceKing02

Quote Originally Posted by ak 4 star View Post
    MGH55 have your buddy call me Alaskan 4 Star Charters I would like to buy them
    Yep +1 I'd buy what was left. I LOVE my avets!