Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moose Hunt Gear

Default Moose Hunt Gear

Planning a moose drop hunt for next year, still working on the area, but looking for some tips on gear. Will be my first time in Alaska. Need advise on rain gear that will handle the weather and brush. Hip boots or waders, not sure if the terrain will require anything more than just a good pair of water proof boots and gators.

I keep hearing wool is the best bet for an outer layer, under the rain gear if necessary. Any thoughts on pants and top, or what would be better?

Also any advise on a side arm, we are thinking southwest, maybe unit 17, so there will be some bear in the area.

If you're hunting with a rifle, a sidearm will be unnecessary. It would be far better to use your rifle than a handgun if you were to have a bear problem (which is highly unlikely anyways), so leave the sidearm at home unless you just enjoy carrying the extra weight. If you're bowhunting, though, you might consider packing a .44mag or larger.

Take a look at the gear forum further down the forum main page. There are pages and pages of information for you to wade through down there that contain invaluable advice.

get the best gear you can afford...Alaska is a place where gear it tested...it can be a very unforgiving place at times and inferior gear can make a trip miserable or even worse,many,many pages on here on gear.There is also a lot of variables as to where you are going to be hunting some gear may be good in some areas and not so good in others so I would wait on some gear until you make final deciscion on area.Rain gear is of the utmost importance and wool is always good in my opinion..As BrianM said go to the gear forum and there you can see what works best for most and read why and then you can make deciscions based on that and as always if not sure feel free to ask there are a lot of helpful people on this forum...

Side arm as Brian said just depends. I carry one when I guide so I dont have to carry my rifle when packing out meat,,

What gear do you use now? Where do you hunt, at what time of year, in what conditions? Chances are you might not have to buy a whole outfit. Commercial fishing-type raingear (Helly Hansen, Grundens) will keep you dryest, but it snags and tears quite easily in brush.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Alaska is about like anywhere else not like we have different weather.

Synthetics or wool or wool blends are great articles of clothing when dealing with wet weather.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Alaska is about like anywhere else not like we have different weather.

You are correct most places in lower 48 you get dropped of in a plane with limited supplies and have the chance of 80 mph sideways rain for days on end or blowing ice and snow in aug,,

I wouldn,t worry abouut a handgun I carry rifle back and forth when packing meat, that is when you are most likely to run into a bear.

Default Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If you're hunting with a rifle, a sidearm will be unnecessary. It would be far better to use your rifle than a handgun if you were to have a bear problem (which is highly unlikely anyways), so leave the sidearm at home unless you just enjoy carrying the extra weight. If you're bowhunting, though, you might consider packing a .44mag or larger.

Take a look at the gear forum further down the forum main page. There are pages and pages of information for you to wade through down there that contain invaluable advice.
    We will be hunting with a rifle, I am happy to hear this from someone with experience, I have been getting mixed messages. The last thing I want to be is unprepared, the second is over prepared. I have a 300 WSM, but thinking of upgrading to a 338 WM, that seems to be the rifle of choice for most in big bear country.

In the past I have early season hunted Colorado elk with a bow, so I have mostly light weight gear, some Sitka 90% pants that handles the long trails well and dries fast. I have some of the light weight sitka rain gear, storm front light, but not sure this will handle brush well.

What kind of temps should we be preparing for, I read one thread that the lows in early September would be in the mid 30's, which is not too bad, the only thing was expect lots of rain.

if you have money to burn buy a new gun but a 300wsm is plenty for moose. I have shot a lot with a 30/06.

Is it enough to rely on for big bear, as you can see I am a little concerned about the brown/grizzly bears we run the risk of seeing. Sounds like the moose are not hard to take down with a well placed shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunte View Post
    Is it enough to rely on for big bear, as you can see I am a little concerned about the brown/grizzly bears we run the risk of seeing. Sounds like the moose are not hard to take down with a well placed shot.
    your rifle is more than enough for bear. is it ideal, No, Too many people worry about bear when going up for their first hunt. most bear will do all they can to avoid you. the main thing is reading and learning about keeping a clean camp, no food in the tent, locating a meat cash away from camp, etc.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

We have been doing some research on that very thing, good bear defense as it has been refferred to. Sounds like good preparation is the best defense. I would hate to have to shoot a bear that I do not have a license for, sounds like that would pretty much end a hunt having to deal with turning it into the authorities.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

never seen a bear.
    , while hunting?.?..that i didnt eat first...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I don't see a problem with the 300 WSM will be fine for bear protection.
    as for rain gear I would suggest Grundens or Helly Hansen, they will keep the rain off BUT if you are going to be hiking a lot they keep all your sweat in, and can get you just as wet as if you weren't wearing rain gear, in the past I have worn helly hansen bibs and a breathable top so the moisture can escape, this works well in brushy areas where your lower body can get soaked even if its sunny out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunte View Post
    We have been doing some research on that very thing, good bear defense as it has been refferred to. Sounds like good preparation is the best defense. I would hate to have to shoot a bear that I do not have a license for, sounds like that would pretty much end a hunt having to deal with turning it into the authorities.
    I have guided in this country for a very long time spending months in a tent I have never had to kill a bear in defense... Worry about planning a good hunt and enjoy it..

For Moose hunting HH impertech works pretty good, because you aren't hiking around so much. If you do hike around in it though, you will get wet from sweat. I used some cabelas insulated microtex pants on my moose hunt last year and I liked them, except at times they were a little warm for me, so I bought some uninsulated ones. I was hunting in August though, they might have been perfect in September. I usually hunt in xtratuffs, but I am switching to muck boots this year.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I have guided in this country for a very long time spending months in a tent I have never had to kill a bear in defense... Worry about planning a good hunt and enjoy it..
    Thanks Bear, that is really what I wanted to hear, from those who really know. We are looking forward to an adventure, hopefully with at least one kill, but we will have a good time regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    For Moose hunting HH impertech works pretty good, because you aren't hiking around so much. If you do hike around in it though, you will get wet from sweat. I used some cabelas insulated microtex pants on my moose hunt last year and I liked them, except at times they were a little warm for me, so I bought some uninsulated ones. I was hunting in August though, they might have been perfect in September. I usually hunt in xtratuffs, but I am switching to muck boots this year.
    That is the question with what we are planning, what is going to work best with us planning on doing more hiking. I know the way we hunt at high elevations is if you have to wear your rain gear you generally have to stop and wait it out or you risk tearing up your gear and you end up just as wet from the sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    You are correct most places in lower 48 you get dropped of in a plane with limited supplies and have the chance of 80 mph sideways rain for days on end or blowing ice and snow in aug,,
    What you have never experienced that kind of weather in Texas or Florida? Man you are doing something wrong Bear. Just kidding. I knew someone would have something along those lines to say about my comment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast