Thread: Head and/or helmet video camera, what to buy

Default Head and/or helmet video camera, what to buy

After watching the March 16 video I was wondering what head/helmet camera was used and if there are other ones that are you guys like.

I was running a GoPro Hd Hero 2 with the "chesty" mount. Capable of1080 however since most people can't see a difference between it and 720, I always film in 720x30 frames per second.

Fairly new to filming as it was a gift for Christmas but I really enjoy it so far and plan to use it all year long. Jeff, Steve and rifle guy all had a GoPro
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I have a GOPRO HD and love it. I don't post video's to the web, so I can't show you. There are plenty of videos for it though. (on youtube)

I used mine on the a hunt in Adak. Awesome video, and lots of fun too. I hear the Contour is just about as good, but it is tubular shaped instead of a box. Which actually makes it more useable depending on application.

Go to Amazon and pick up a Drift Stealth before they're all gone. Way better than the GoPro (I have one of those, too) and since the new Drift was introduced you can get a Stealth for about $150.00. It has a built-in viewing screen and comes with a remote control. Definitely the best value out there.

$150? Not where I'm looking. Got a link?
    TrappHouseOutdoors@HuntFishAK

I guess they're getting sold out. Drift released a newer, slightly smaller version of the camera and the old ones were all over the web for around $150. I still see one vendor at $159 but it isn't Amazon.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...MAM#ps-sellers

I bought a Contour Plus. It has gps in it. It plays your video and in another window it plays your gps track on google maps as well as speed and an elevation change graph.

Wow, I like the sounds of the Contour Plus! Would be cool to have the GPS track and link to the maps! Is the quality as good as some of the video's we've seen from the Go Pro?
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Contour is a bother good choice. No remote control but the one on the cam is easy to use even with gloves on. The more expensive models can add a card that'll allow you to view what the camera sees on a smart phone. There's no viewing screen on the cam itself. Contour also offers a lens kit that includes an adaptor ring that accepts polarizing and ND filters. The tripod mount isn't as good as the Drift but it's good enough.

If you want the top dog in helmet cams look at a VIO POV-1. Not cheap, though. Still my favorite when wearing a camera. Contour and Drift are better for mounting and since the Drift has a remote control it wins for remote mounting like out on a wing strut.