Thread: 2009 Arctic cat 550?

Default 2009 Arctic cat 550?

Anyone have any opinions on this machine? Looking to buy one, but don't know too much about the arctic cats.
    Thanks

i don't about that machine it self but we the wife a kid and i had three 07 650 trv's and loved them daughter moved and sold hers
    the wife and i sold ours do to her medical issues and just bought a 700 prowler hdx and i am sure we will love it two
    the only thing we had with them in winter especialy is you need a battery tender hooked up or the will kill your battery
    i think it is a small draw in the instrument cluster that does it but otherwise no issues

the 550 from my understanding is one of ac best engines. I have a 2010 550s and a 2011 700s only difference in my 550 is I have powersteering. Cats are usa made and easier to work on then some. They are work horses, may not be as sporty as some, pretty heavy, they do well in the mud but I would suggest a snorkel to save yourself a headache..Happyalaskan said it right get a battery tender cat batteries stink.lots of good info on the 550 on arcticchat forum...hope this helps a little
    dave

They are a great machine. They make mince meat out of my 500 Cat and they are only 50cc more.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    They are a great machine. They make mince meat out of my 500 Cat and they are only 50cc more.

just to add something that I thought of when I read Dougs post I can hardly tell a difference between my 550 and 700

wifey has the 500 TRV and just loves it
    bilt her a box for the frount to put her pop and a roll of TP in and where off for a nice ride

Thanks for the replies. I ended up buying it. Nice machine, but have any of you had any motor mount issues? Arcticchat forum has some threads there regarding the rubber motor mounts needing to be replaced with solid ones. Just curious if any of you have had issues.

Coopspa I have also read that about the mounts but I personally have not had any issues and of course like all maintenence just keep an eye on it. Also a lot of the folks over there have a lot of mods done as well so I am not really sure how much of that affects certain things either..
    Dave

Thanks Bear. I usually take those things with a grain of salt, because those guys usually beat their machines pretty good. Just wondering if anyone had changed their mounts out.

I am buying a SxS this spring and have mainly been looking at the Ranger but the Prowler 700 HDX is up there on my list too. You're the first person I've been able to find who owns this machine and was curious how you like it? Do you have any experience with a Ranger? If so, how does the 700 HDX stack up? I appreciate any and all input. Thanks!

Good deal on getting the Cat! I have a 700 and like it. One thing I did notice is that it drives and steers easier in 4x4 than in 2x4. Even at higher speeds running open trails, the steering is much more stable in 4x4.

Couple things on the batteries. First off the factory Cat battery is weak and expensive! Batteries Plus in Anc or the Valley is the place to go to get a good one. They stand behind their batteries as well, one of mine developed a bad cell and they made it right even though I didn't have the receipt! As mentioned just get a battery tender. It will have an adapter that you permanently screw onto your positive and negative battery terminals so that a pigtail sits under your seat. When you get it home just pop up the seat and plug her in if it is going to sit for any time at all.

Cats tend to be heavier but to me they are heavier for a reason, the parts are just beefier! Even the racks on mine are stronger and thicker than my wife's yammi!