Thread: students' questions about trapping

Default students' questions about trapping

Hello all, some of my students had some questions about trapping. Receiving some replies would be greatly appreciated. I took some students out this semester and showed them my trap line and some of animals that I have trapped. Caught lynx mainly and one wolverine. Students set out a few traps, had only an hour to set so we were only able to set within a mile or two of town. They caught a lynx in one of there sets. Going to have it sent out and tanned and be used for skin sewing projects next year. Had them read regulations, trapping ethnics, and trapping manuals and books that I have. Thanks.

Students' questions

What is your favorite animal to trap? a picture to provide please. JD

What was the biggest animal you have trapped? Can you provide a picture of a wolf if you have caught one? WS

What are ideal locations for traps? BN

What's your favorite type of trap to use? Legholds, snares, bodygrips, deadfalls. RB

Thanks for reading, this will be a good experience for students.

JD I love trapping otter I have some pictures but I will have to dig around on the computer and find them
    WS A wolf you can see pictures of one I snared and one I shot this year in my post a couple wolves. I have some from past yrs let me know if you want to see them and I will dig them out.
    BN the ideal trap location a very broad question depending on what you are trapping adn the type of terrain you are trapping. On the open tundra brush piles and tree patches are critter magnets
    RB I use bodygrips, snares and footholds ( I call them footholds as they are made to catch by the foot not the leg) I think being able to use them all effectively is important as different species and locations call for different methods of catching. I do prefer to use snares for canines in particular fast easy and light weight. My main line is about 150 miles round trip so weight is a consideration a lot of the time.
    I hope this helps
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rons 003.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	58363Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rons 004.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	58364
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatFool View Post
    Hello all, some of my students had some questions about trapping. Receiving some replies would be greatly appreciated. I took some students out this semester and showed them my trap line and some of animals that I have trapped. Caught lynx mainly and one wolverine. Students set out a few traps, had only an hour to set so we were only able to set within a mile or two of town. They caught a lynx in one of there sets. Going to have it sent out and tanned and be used for skin sewing projects next year. Had them read regulations, trapping ethnics, and trapping manuals and books that I have. Thanks.

Students' questions

What is your favorite animal to trap? a picture to provide please. JD

What was the biggest animal you have trapped? Can you provide a picture of a wolf if you have caught one? WS

What are ideal locations for traps? BN

What's your favorite type of trap to use? Legholds, snares, bodygrips, deadfalls. RB

Thanks for reading, this will be a good experience for students.
    Was hoping to see more coments on your request, I did some "Culture week" Trapping and skinning demos in the villages and I could not find more enthusiastic young folks. Great that you are helping our young folks.
    My favorite animal to trap is the beaver since you can do so much with the hides, However my favorite animal to CATCH is the wolverine just because they are not as well populated in the area I trap.
    My biggest wolf was a 121 # and my biggest beaver last year was 84# most of the beaver from last year weighed less than 50# Trap placement is hard to describe, Really you want to put them where you feel the animal will be not necessarily where his last tracks were. You learn from the habits of the animals and the mistakes you made and adjust from there. A good trapper is always evaluating what he did wrong on every set and then adjusting on the next set. I use connibears, snares and leg holds, The set location will often determine what type of trap to use. For canine trapping snares are tough to beat. Most of my water traps are body grip. The pictures above are hides back from the tannery this year.

Thanks for replying otterman and blue mist. Awesome pics blue mist. I'll show them kids the replies that they have received on Monday and see about having them comment on each one. I will see about posting up pics of the lynx they got and a few of the lynx that I skinned with them as well as some in my traps that I brought the kids to dispatch with a choke stick. We will be making snares hopefully this coming week. Had the principal order 500' of 7x7 aircraft cable and snaring parts, gave two of my lynx skins to the school and traded three for the material for students to get snaring material. Going to have those tanned so the students can use them for their sewing projects next year. Probably make them for lynx mainly to use next year and maybe a few dozen for wolves. Probably next school year I will see about getting 1x19 cable for wolves and wolverines. We will see about getting two or more hours next year during the school day to set traps. See about setting farther away from town and practice making survival shelters. I believe that we only have survival classes every five years and it is usually teachers that take the extra time to do things like that. I only did that twice I think while in school. Hope to get more replies and thanks for the support.

That Fool

JD; my favorite animal to trap is mink, they are really fun and curious criiters.
    WS; the biggest animal i have trapped was a big male coyote.. no wolves yet but im still young!
    BN; its all a game... set where you think they will go!
    RB; fav trap, definatly a conibear!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

JD my favorite animal to trap is fox or marten, no pictures.
    WS Biggest animal I have trapped was a 30-35 or so lb coyote that pulled out of the trap.
    BN, SET ON SIGN! I trapped for 3 years straight for my first few years and didn't follow this lesson and didn't catch one single animal. except for snares that I set on rabbit trails.
    RB favorite trap is the No 2 double long spring for fox and coyote, snares are snares, in my opinion, there is little difference. Body grips would be 120's just cause I can set them with one hand.... I use piute deadfalls for squirels and stuff on survival trips, pretty fun and easy to make
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Hey y'all, the students really are enjoying this forum. Here are some of their responses.

JD- What was your first animal you caught? and the year? I like all of your guys pictures. Thanks for sharing. with a smiley face...

WS- What got you into trapping? When did you start using body grippers?

RB-What is your favorite trap to use for a lynx? What are the main animals that you trap where you live?

Thanks again for sharing, we'll see about starting a journal next trapping season to share. More than likely we will wait until the second semester of school to start up again.

JD it was an otter in 1982
    WS I always wanted to learn my Father in law taught me. I started using bodygrips in 84
    RB no Lynx in my neck of Alaska Main animals are beaver, fox and otter in that order
    THatfool I tried to send you a private message but says you don't receive them. I have some more info for you but will not put it on the open forum. If you turn on your PM's I will send it again

Hey otterman, I think I turned it on. Is it the allow emails from other members? Thanks for replying.

I still couldn't get it to go so I sent it via email let me know if you get it

ThatFool - You'll be able to send and receive PMs once he has 15+ posts and a month of membership.

Thanks Brian, I was trying to figure out how to activate it and it kept coming up with an error page. Otterman, I haven't received the email yet. I will probably get it within the half hour. I may need to log in and check my junk mail box and approve you as a sender. Thanks.

Hey Otterman, I haven't received the email yet. Sometimes it takes a few days before they give me a notification that I have junk mail. I will let you know with in the next few days if it does come through.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatFool View Post
    Hey y'all, the students really are enjoying this forum. Here are some of their responses.

JD- What was your first animal you caught? and the year? I like all of your guys pictures. Thanks for sharing. with a smiley face...

WS- What got you into trapping? When did you start using body grippers?

RB-What is your favorite trap to use for a lynx? What are the main animals that you trap where you live?

Thanks again for sharing, we'll see about starting a journal next trapping season to share. More than likely we will wait until the second semester of school to start up again.

JD the first animal I caught with a trap was a racoon in the lower 48. WS I started trapping as a way to pick up a few extra dollars while I was out in the woods. I would have been in the woods anyways so figured I might as well make it pay. Over the years it has paid OK but you don't get rich I just put out a few sets now to help me stay in better health by walking and being outside. I can't remember the first year I used them but they were not available when I started trapping. RB My favorite trap was a Helfrich 750 The 750 W was for wolf and the 750 B was for beaver. I used the B wich had one less spring but you don't need as much holding power on Lynx as you would on a wolf. Helfrich made a pan design change on the 750W in the early 1980's based on changes we requested it was a good trap but no longer made. I have used a lot of #4 Jumps for Lynx because they have a wide jaw spread and are quick but they are not real strong, and need some modification before using. The MB company is making some traps I like just remember the Lynx has big feet, Most of the animals I have trapped the last couple of years have been water animals,(Beaver, Otter.Mink) since where I was trapping had such severe freeze and thaw it was more successful to trap under water. I hope you all have a wonderful season next year. Be sure to thank your Teacher for all he does for you. ~Mist~

Hey everyone, thanks for sharing all the information and pics. I will see about having the students post up some comments. Probably last comment until next trapping season, maybe a few more if they can think of more. I have been trying to post up some of the pics of animals on my trapline that the students followed me on. Haven't been able to do so I may have to wait until next month to post up if I can figure it out. Thanks again.

Been around Koyuk quite a bit in years past. Worked for Bob Hannon as asst guide.
    I would suggest 1x19 1/16th for lynx. Snare shop wolf snares for wolf and wolverine. They are 1/8th 7x7.
    Still got 2 weeks left
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!