Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: Ruger Bisley Hunter

  1. #21
    Member The Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    1,036

    Default

    I bought one of the 44's this winter. Easiest shooting 44 magnum Ive ever shot. The grip angle makes recoil a non issue, and I'm sure the weight out front with the ribbed barrel helps too. I don't find the muzzle heaviness to be and issue inso far as handling is concerned.
    I had planned to cut mine down originally, but after shooting it I decided to just do a triggerjob and call it good. I carry it in a DimondD rig and don't find it to be a hinderance.

    All of my cylinder throats measured an even .430 and the forcing cone is nice and smooth. Overall I would say that the fit and finish on mine seems a bit higher quality than most standard Blackhawks. I'm not sure if that applies across the board or if I just got lucky.

    I love mine and plan to try to take a blackbear with it this spring. I would recommend one to someone wanting to start handgun hunting but maybe not wishing to spend as much as a Freedom.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    After the Lipsey's and Acusport runs a few years ago, Ruger started the most recent run of the very gun you're looking for (catalog number KRNB-455W 0470), for Williams Shooters Supply (the current exclusive distributor). They've been in production for quite awhile. It's a Stainless Bisley .45 Colt with a 5.5 inch barrel. They're nice guns with tight specs (my throats and bore measure .4505). Recently, the following dealer had purchased the remaining inventory from Williams: Seaburg's Inc. 691 15th Ave. S Carrington, ND 58421, Mike Seaburg 701-650-1233. They were going fast, but he might have one or two left.
    So it seems they have sold the Williams Shooter Supply guns, but currently they are out. I spoke with the Ruger rep I always talk to and she told me more will be available in a few months. I put an order in! They are pretty much identical to the Acusports, correct? iofthetaiga -- how does yours shoot?

  3. #23
    Member NDTerminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Devils Lake ND
    Posts
    262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    After the Lipsey's and Acusport runs a few years ago, Ruger started the most recent run of the very gun you're looking for (catalog number KRNB-455W 0470), for Williams Shooters Supply (the current exclusive distributor). They've been in production for quite awhile. It's a Stainless Bisley .45 Colt with a 5.5 inch barrel. They're nice guns with tight specs (my throats and bore measure .4505). Recently, the following dealer had purchased the remaining inventory from Williams: Seaburg's Inc. 691 15th Ave. S Carrington, ND 58421, Mike Seaburg 701-650-1233. They were going fast, but he might have one or two left.
    Carrington is about 30 minutes south of here. Thanks for the heads up, may have to make a Carrington run this weekend...

  4. #24
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    4,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    So it seems they have sold the Williams Shooter Supply guns, but currently they are out. I spoke with the Ruger rep I always talk to and she told me more will be available in a few months. I put an order in! They are pretty much identical to the Acusports, correct? iofthetaiga -- how does yours shoot?
    Seaburg still has some of these available. He's got some listed on Gunbroker right now. I'm still working up loads for mine, and trying to overcome a persistent flinch (admitting I have a problem is the first step toward recovery). Am currently shooting a 315 grain Keith style over about 9 grains of Universal. Even after shooting 60 or 80 rounds, and getting the gun good and dirty, it will print 1.5 inch groups at 50 feet. I'm quite sure it's capable of much better, if I was able to do my part.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    Bought myself an early birthday present Thanks for pointing out there were a couple on gunbrokers for sale.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=278649997

    Havent owned a Ruger single action for quite awhile and it will be nice to see what this one will do. It will also be my first Bisley styled revolver. Now, to sneak it by the wife

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Bought myself an early birthday present Thanks for pointing out there were a couple on gunbrokers for sale.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=278649997

    Havent owned a Ruger single action for quite awhile and it will be nice to see what this one will do. It will also be my first Bisley styled revolver. Now, to sneak it by the wife
    Nice! Now I can EASILY hook you up with a holster for that one. I've got one of them there Bisley's myownself! My favorite gun hands down.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    I'll bet it will need a trigger job, but that's no big deal. Used to own a few Rugers in the past and did a fair job on the triggers myself. But the older I get the more I realize the less I know so might farm it out to a expert, not sure yet.

    Might be awhile before this one see's any range time because my Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh should be mailed to me next month and need to get some range time with it before moose hunting season. The Bisley is one heck of a deal. Under $500 for a stainless large bore single action with adjustable sights. Can't think of anything else even close to it's price range.

    Once again, thanks for pointing out these were on Gunbrokers.

    Heck, if I don't like it can always send it away to Bowen!

  8. #28
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Palmer Alaska
    Posts
    5,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Heck, if I don't like it can always send it away to Bowen!
    Well itís no Freedom Arms Swiss watch but itís a bunch of gun for the buck, I think with some very minor tuning you will like it just fine.

  9. #29
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    4,613
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    19

    Default

    I have a Bisley Hunter .44, cut it down to 6" and had original front blade reinstalled. Bought a Wyoming Combination holster for it. It's a sweet rig, Grip is comfy and makes shooting hotter loads easier on the hand than other 44's I have. It has become my go to rig for outdoor bear carry

  11. #31
    Moderator Snyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    4,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trout bum View Post
    i have a bisley hunter .44, cut it down to 6" and had original front blade reinstalled. Bought a wyoming combination holster for it. It's a sweet rig, grip is comfy and makes shooting hotter loads easier on the hand than other 44's i have. It has become my go to rig for outdoor bear carry

    we need some pics!!!

    I've got a WY Combo for my scope BisHunter and agree. Nice setup.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    19

    Default Pics

    here ya go Snyd. Took awhile to get used to the holster, now it's broke in and I like how versatile it is. The guy who makes them, his brother in law lives here in Palmer and I got a chance to try one one before I had this one custom ordered for the Bisley Hunter. The 6" barrel makes a big difference for carry in the woods and still plenty accurate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #33
    Member S.B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NDTerminator View Post
    Had a Bisley Hunter and after a year of fiddling with it, I traded it in last year. The pros were the Bisley frame was the best single action grip for handling recoil I ever shot and it was very accurate, particularly with a scope. Cons were it's weight, the smooth (dare I say polished smooth) grip panels, weird balance, and general unwieldiness.

    Saying that, if Ruger made a production 5.5" stainless Bisley Blackhawk with checkered grip panels, I will be the first in line for one. That would make one fine belt gun in 44 Mag or 45LC! On Ruger's website this exact gun in 45LC (which makes it even more intriguing to me)is shown as a distributor exclusive, but the local dealer here has some conflict with that distributor and wouldn't even ask for a price from them, let alone order one for me. That just might be worth trading my "spare" 6" 629 in on, if I can find a dealer who will get me one...
    It can't cost that much to have a stockmaker checker the grip panels. So, easy, cheap fix.
    Steve

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sandpoint, ID
    Posts
    1,643

    Default

    I have a 5" stainless SBH that I have had Pachmyer grips on for years and have had thoughts of changing it over to a Bisley grip but it shoots just fine and I can handle the recoil with 310gr pushed fairly hot...but maybe not 100 rounds at time. I chose the SBH because I had a Dan Wesson 8" at the time with a 2x Leupold so I didn't want another scoped 44 mag or the weight of the Hunter. I also have a BH in 45 LC and a 4 5/8" barrel that carries better than the SBH but has a lot more recoil with hot 325 gr loads that I put together for a Rossi 92.

    Do you guys really think there is THAT much difference in felt recoil with the Bisley grip shape?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I have a 5" stainless SBH that I have had Pachmyer grips on for years and have had thoughts of changing it over to a Bisley grip but it shoots just fine and I can handle the recoil with 310gr pushed fairly hot...but maybe not 100 rounds at time. I chose the SBH because I had a Dan Wesson 8" at the time with a 2x Leupold so I didn't want another scoped 44 mag or the weight of the Hunter. I also have a BH in 45 LC and a 4 5/8" barrel that carries better than the SBH but has a lot more recoil with hot 325 gr loads that I put together for a Rossi 92.

    Do you guys really think there is THAT much difference in felt recoil with the Bisley grip shape?

    Yes, the felt recoil makes that much of a difference, for me at least. Fits my hand better too so I'm sure it has some to do with the fit as well as the grip angle and how it rolls. Like the Bisley grip frame so much I'm lookin for a grip frame kit for my single six too.

  16. #36
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Palmer Alaska
    Posts
    5,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I have a 5" stainless SBH that I have had Pachmyer grips on for years and have had thoughts of changing it over to a Bisley grip but it shoots just fine and I can handle the recoil with 310gr pushed fairly hot...but maybe not 100 rounds at time. I chose the SBH because I had a Dan Wesson 8" at the time with a 2x Leupold so I didn't want another scoped 44 mag or the weight of the Hunter. I also have a BH in 45 LC and a 4 5/8" barrel that carries better than the SBH but has a lot more recoil with hot 325 gr loads that I put together for a Rossi 92.

    Do you guys really think there is THAT much difference in felt recoil with the Bisley grip shape?
    Not for me, it makes a little difference in recoil but not a lot for me. Then they point high for me too where the plow handle points level for me . . . I guess my hand was just pounded into the plow handle shape from many years of shooting the heck out of them. YMMV

    I love single action, thatís my preferred handgun by far because itís what I grew up with and I can shoot the heck out of them. But they just arenít as good for big recoil as a double action for some reason. My 454 loads are a handful in a SRH but but not painful at all, put them in a BH, Bisley or not and they are just flat out punishing for me.

  17. #37
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    4,613

    Default

    Here's another (although not a Bisley):

    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=306565752
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson

  18. #38
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    4,613

    Default

    Here's another one; anybody got $1200 burning a hole in your pocket? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=312866138
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •