Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Bisley Hunter

Default Ruger Bisley Hunter

Always admired the looks of this revolver. It just seems to have nice lines and with the built in scope bases it makes an attractive choice for a .44 mag hunting revolver. Shorten the barrel to 6 inches, maybe tune the action, and you have a keeper. Have owned a few number of Rugers over the years but never this model.
    How do they shoot?

Default Bisley Hunter

IF the .44s are like the .45 Colts you may need to ream out the cylinder throats if you use cast bullets. Other than that they should shoot great. Put on a good scope with an adjustable objective if you plan to shoot a varying ranges. Weight is a little heavy for a Ruger SA but for a hunter it shouldn't matter.

The .44s may have a bit better range but I'd like to have one in .45 Colt myself for Alaska- the .45s were apparently a distributor special run. A .41 Mag would be interesting also if you wanted to stretch the range for the lower 48.

I haven't seen any for sale in Anchorage- does anyone stock them?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Always admired the looks of this revolver. It just seems to have nice lines and with the built in scope bases it makes an attractive choice for a .44 mag hunting revolver. Shorten the barrel to 6 inches, maybe tune the action, and you have a keeper. Have owned a few number of Rugers over the years but never this model.
    How do they shoot?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I've posted quite a bit about my 45 Colt "BisHunter". It's a keeper and shoots better that I can. I've done nothing to the action or trigger. I did ream the throats to .4525 and cut the forcing cone to 11degrees. It made a difference in this 45 Colt shooting cast boolits. I do think my Hunter has a better trigger than my regular SBH 44 had. I did the "poor mans trigger job" on that one but on this one it gave it a hair trigger. Not good for a hunting gun and/when wearing gloves. Here's my last thread regarding messing around at 100yds with a 2X scope. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-revolver-test
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

How do they shoot?

Snowwolfe, I have a Bisley Hunter in .44 Mag and I am exceedingly happy with it. It's one of the more accurate revolvers I own. Trigger was a bit gritty out of the box, but we took care of that. I put an Ultradot 4 on it the last time I hunted with it mounted to a Weigand base. Very nice piece! Alas, I believe that I will be sacrificing mine to the big-bore gods as every .44 Magnum revolver deserves to be a .500 Linebaugh!

Thanks guys. Seems the Hunter or Bisley Hunter model (built in scope mounts) only comes in .44 mag. Or am I missing something and is the Bisley Hunter also built in .45 LC?

But the "regular" Bisley model does come in .45 LC. Like the idea of trying a .45 LC as I have always wanted one but need to stick with the stainless Hunter model.

Thanks guys. Seems the Hunter or Bisley Hunter model (built in scope mounts) only comes in .44 mag. Or am I missing something and is the Bisley Hunter also built in .45 LC?

But the "regular" Bisley model does come in .45 LC. Like the idea of trying a .45 LC as I have always wanted one but need to stick with the stainless Hunter model.
    The 45 Colt hunters were a Lipseys exclusive back around 05 -06. The made about 600 regular grip and 260ish?? Bisleys. They have within the past couple years made some "clean up" Bisleys which now puts them up to over 300 45 Colt Bisley Hunters produced. Mine was made in 05.

Here's the skinny straight from Lipseys....

http://www.lipseysguns.com/post/Ruge...y-45-Colt.aspx
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

The only Bisley Hunter currently offered is in .44 Magnum. I am really happy with mine.

Ah..... Makes sense now. Thanks for the info Synd. Didnt realize they made a limited run in .45 LC.
    As much as I like my .44's always wanted to try a .45 LC. Will keep my eyes open for either model on the used market and see what pops up.

I find the Rugers are easy to strip down and with a change of springs and a little honing on the trigger parts a decent trigger can be had.

Davidson's also offers the Bisley Hunter in .41 Mag: http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...DE/models.html

I wonder if the barrels in the Blackhawks are force fitted like the Redhawks? If the barrels can be removed and re-installed it may make sense to buy a .44 Hunter and re-bore the barrel to .45 and then rebore the cylinders to a tigher dimensions like the .454.

Anone know how tight the barrels are fitted to the Super Redhawks?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    The only Bisley Hunter currently offered is in .44 Magnum. I am really happy with mine.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Oops- I meant to say Super Blackhawks!

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Davidson's also offers the Bisley Hunter in .41 Mag: http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...DE/models.html

I wonder if the barrels in the Blackhawks are force fitted like the Redhawks? If the barrels can be removed and re-installed it may make sense to buy a .44 Hunter and re-bore the barrel to .45 and then rebore the cylinders to a tigher dimensions like the .454.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post

I cannot say with absolute certainty, but I don't think the barrel/frame fit is the same on the Blackhawks. I know for certain that my Bisley Blackhawk is fitted with a factory take-off 4 5/8" barrel (a configuration that Ruger never made) that was bought from Hamilton Bowen. I doubt Bowen would sell them if they were unsafe to reinstall, like the Redhawk barrels supposdly are.

Default More possibilites

I've never fully understood why the Redhawks have the barrel issues they do but the Blackhawks do not appear to have that curse. While there are numerous barrels for Blackhawks for sale on gunbroker etc. I don't recall ever seeing one for a Redhawk.

My though for a .45 Colt Bisley hunter would to get a .44, pull the barrel and have it rebored to .452, and then rebore the cylinder to .454 i.e. tighter dimensions vs. the orginal sloppy .45 Colt chamber as used by Ruger and everyone else. My plus is that I can get the cylinder rechambering and other machining done for free. I'd only have to pay to get the barrel rebored and that may cover the premium of the .45s over the .44s plus I'd have a better cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    I cannot say with absolute certainty, but I don't think the barrel/frame fit is the same on the Blackhawks. I know for certain that my Bisley Blackhawk is fitted with a factory take-off 4 5/8" barrel (a configuration that Ruger never made) that was bought from Hamilton Bowen. I doubt Bowen would sell them if they were unsafe to reinstall, like the Redhawk barrels supposdly are.

Had a Bisley Hunter and after a year of fiddling with it, I traded it in last year. The pros were the Bisley frame was the best single action grip for handling recoil I ever shot and it was very accurate, particularly with a scope. Cons were it's weight, the smooth (dare I say polished smooth) grip panels, weird balance, and general unwieldiness.

Saying that, if Ruger made a production 5.5" stainless Bisley Blackhawk with checkered grip panels, I will be the first in line for one. That would make one fine belt gun in 44 Mag or 45LC! On Ruger's website this exact gun in 45LC (which makes it even more intriguing to me)is shown as a distributor exclusive, but the local dealer here has some conflict with that distributor and wouldn't even ask for a price from them, let alone order one for me. That just might be worth trading my "spare" 6" 629 in on, if I can find a dealer who will get me one...

Quote Originally Posted by NDTerminator View Post
    Had On Ruger's website this exact gun in 45LC (which makes it even more intriguing to me)is shown as a distributor exclusive, but the local dealer here has some conflict with that distributor and wouldn't even ask for a price from them, let alone order one for me. That just might be worth trading my "spare" 6" 629 in on, if I can find a dealer who will get me one...
    If it's any consolation, those 5.5-inch .45 Colt Bisleys are not yet available.

Thanks for sharing your experinece.

I can imagine that the heavy barrel and then the added weight and bulk of the scope would make the gun unwieldy and awkward. i really hadn't considered that aspect not having handled a scoped Hunter.

I wish Ruger would make it easier to mount a scope on the frame like S&W does with their DA new guns: simply remove the rear sight and screw the base in place.

Had a Bisley Hunter and after a year of fiddling with it, I traded it in last year. The pros were the Bisley frame was the best single action grip for handling recoil I ever shot and it was very accurate, particularly with a scope. Cons were it's weight, the smooth (dare I say polished smooth) grip panels, weird balance, and general unwieldiness.

Saying that, if Ruger made a production 5.5" stainless Bisley Blackhawk with checkered grip panels, I will be the first in line for one. That would make one fine belt gun in 44 Mag or 45LC! On Ruger's website this exact gun in 45LC (which makes it even more intriguing to me)is shown as a distributor exclusive, but the local dealer here has some conflict with that distributor and wouldn't even ask for a price from them, let alone order one for me. That just might be worth trading my "spare" 6" 629 in on, if I can find a dealer who will get me one...

They are out there except for the checkered grip but you can fix that easy enough. Using the “FFL finder tool on Gunbroker you can often find an FFL near you for under $25 transfer fee. Here are just a couple that came up on Gunbroker right now.
    $1000 for matched pair

Dark grip for $560

Light grip for $490
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    If it's any consolation, those 5.5-inch .45 Colt Bisleys are not yet available.
    The Acusport versions (I have seen quite a few on the used market) are basically the same configuration but the ones that are on the site right now (Hunter Supply I believe) have yet to be made available. I wish they were a regular production item.

Here's a few in the swap and sell but you may have to hurry.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Colt-Stainless

Those look to be Acusports -- love 'em!

....if Ruger made a production 5.5" stainless Bisley Blackhawk with checkered grip panels, I will be the first in line for one. That would make one fine belt gun in 44 Mag or 45LC! On Ruger's website this exact gun in 45LC (which makes it even more intriguing to me)is shown as a distributor exclusive, but the local dealer here has some conflict with that distributor and wouldn't even ask for a price from them, let alone order one for me. That just might be worth trading my "spare" 6" 629 in on, if I can find a dealer who will get me one...
    After the Lipsey's and Acusport runs a few years ago, Ruger started the most recent run of the very gun you're looking for (catalog number KRNB-455W 0470), for Williams Shooters Supply (the current exclusive distributor). They've been in production for quite awhile. It's a Stainless Bisley .45 Colt with a 5.5 inch barrel. They're nice guns with tight specs (my throats and bore measure .4505). Recently, the following dealer had purchased the remaining inventory from Williams: Seaburg's Inc. 691 15th Ave. S Carrington, ND 58421, Mike Seaburg 701-650-1233. They were going fast, but he might have one or two left.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast