Thread: Thru-Hull Location for Wash Down Pump

Default Thru-Hull Location for Wash Down Pump

I am planning to install a wash down pump, and I'm wondering where I should drill the hole for the water pick-up. In my previous boat (26 Hewescraft) the thru-hull was plastic, and went through the bottom of the hull. I bought the boat used, and this is how it came.

Over the years we owned the boat, a couple of people commented that the thru-hull should have been bronze instead of plastic. Others commented that the hole should have been drilled through the transom, near the drain plug, rather than on the bottom of the hull.

Like the previous boat, the current boat is welded aluminum, has twin outboards, and will be trailered. There is plenty of room to put a thru-hull on the bottom, without a worry of hitting it on a trailer bunk, and I like the idea of being able to run the pump while moving. Any reason I shouldn't put the thru-hull on the bottom?

Any input on bronze vs. plastic fittings?

My pick up is a piece of 1.25" schedule 40 aluminum pipe that is welded to the bottom of the hull. It extends up beyond the water line. It works great at speed or rest and I do not have to deal with dissimilar metals or a thru hull extending below the hull line. This would be an easy addition to your boat if you have access to your bilge.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    Any input on bronze vs. plastic fittings?
    IMO, if you drill the hole in the bottom go with bronze simply because it is stronger and less likely to break if you ever hit a log out in the sound. For the transom plastic would work. Either one sealed with 5200 should be water tight and worry free.

On our Thunderjet the hole is on the transom.

I wouldn't mix bronze and aluminum!! Spoiled One's got the correct set up only thing i might add is a small scoop to make the water go in easier when you running.

Steve the potbuilder
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net

Steve.

What would you use to valve it off? Certainly not bronze, Marelon?
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Stainless?? If the top is above the waterline then yeah then the plastic one i think would be ok. On my bowpicker i had a hydraulicy driven 2" Pacer pump and i had a extra long suction hose so i just hung it over the side when i needed it. I could knock a guy off his feet with the pump. I think it pumped something like 55 gals a minute.

Steve the potbuilder
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net

DO NOT USE A BRONZE THRU HULL.
    Do something like what Pete said with the pipe pickup off the transom. Mine is a thick Aluminum Grate casting welded in the bottom while the boat was being built and inside the hull I have SS fittings.
    Do you have any water pick up thru-hulls right now? If so you can get on it , it would become a TWOFER [ One hole for two things ]