Thread: Comment on Smart Bullets

Default Comment on Smart Bullets

Personally, I abhor the idea and hope it is limited to specific and controlled military use (perhaps an oxymoron by some views). Surely a technological wonder.

What says you?

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...hal-0?page=0,0

I like the piece that wired did months ago when this news broke. Currently you cannot illuminate a game animal and the flechette requires a laser cast on the target. The sheer cost of the guidance system and a single round would be in the hundreds of thousands of $$$ then you would still need to buy the gun to fire it. Perhaps Rick said something of value in that piece but I lost interest when I noted that it was 4 pages long...

You haven't seen the $1.99 IPhone App for Missile Guidance ??

Kidding aside, technologies have quite the track record for decreasing dramatically in price. This does seem more likely to remain a non-issue due to all the factors, I agree. Yes, I found four pages surprising, too - and not breaking news, but I was interested in what he had to add.

I'm more concerned about dumb politicians.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I'm more concerned about dumb politicians.
    I'm also concerned about politicians................however, I'm even more concerned about retired ADF&G bio's who have a history of being anti-hunting/trapping, etc..................and are continuing that history today thru their writing in Alaska Dispatch.
    It's pretty obvious this new laser guided bullet is far beyond the reach of even rich hunters, yet Sinnott brings it forward as something to consider.
    A crackpot when on the state payroll, and continuing to be a crackpot.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Absolutely right on this one Bronco, it goes beyond even my sense of inclusiveness in the hunting community to consider this a hunting round :-)
    When I think of how a person would fire a 4 inch long bullet (cartridge length might be measured in feet on this one :-) and remain on their feet to paint the target the visual makes me laugh.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

I think this would be an almost useless for a hunting application. You could not use it when its too hot, too humid, too cold, or too dusty. As for being able to shoot and keep the laser on target, it is likely that this would be a two person weapon. One person to paint the target and another to fire the round. Any who, at one time it was considered unsporting to use a lever action repeater for hunting. Generally speaking, every weapon we use for hunting today was developed to kill people first.

Gee whiz info: Laser guidance is an obsolete technology that has been almost entirely replaced by the military. Accuracy rates from Desert Storm would be unacceptable today.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Not the shotgun,birds were its game but just happened to be great on people up close
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I would credit the blunderbuss as the first shotgun and I believe it was originally developed as a weapon for combat.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I'm also concerned about politicians................however, I'm even more concerned about retired ADF&G bio's who have a history of being anti-hunting/trapping, etc..................and are continuing that history today thru their writing in Alaska Dispatch.
    It's pretty obvious this new laser guided bullet is far beyond the reach of even rich hunters, yet Sinnott brings it forward as something to consider.
    A crackpot when on the state payroll, and continuing to be a crackpot.
    You right.

"Crackpot" is a MILD discription for that guy.

Smitty of the Nortlh
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I would credit the blunderbuss as the first shotgun and I believe it was originally developed as a weapon for combat.
    The blunderbuss was just a bigger bore musket of the time as all had smooth bores then.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you