Thread: Situk River spring Conditions .

Default Situk River spring Conditions .

Hay All.
    Book a trip to Yakutat (again yippee) but got some sad news, the road may not be open till
    April-15 with the large amount of snow they accumulated over this winter. Anyone going earlier then April-11 & makes it to 9-mile bridge " plus " floats the river,,, I would like to here from you. Thanks.

More info from Bob's Blog. (Situk River Fly Shop). When Will The Road Open?
    I just talked to Robert Lekanof, the Airport Manager with the State DOT about when the road access will be opened this spring. The news is not too good… The state does not have their own large loader. They will have to rent the city’s loader, as they always do. The city is now done scooping their snow, so it will be available for the state to use starting tomorrow.
    DOT will begin working on the upper road on Thursday. The plan is to see how long it takes to clear a mile, then they will be better able to get an estimate on how long it will take to reach the river. There is a MINIMUM of 7 feet of very heavy compacted snow for the entire route. It will take a LONG time to get it cleared. DOT’s estimate for getting JUST THE UPPER ROAD open is April 10th – possibly April 15th.
    After they restore access to 9 Mile, they will then begin working on the lower road. There is less snow on the lower end, so it should move quicker once they get to it. All this also depends on what weather we see over the next couple weeks… Another gorgeous sunny day today is helping to melt some snow away. We need windy rain to really melt things down, but I’ll take 50 degrees and sunny over more snow…

318"+ takes a while to clear. It has packed down pretty good. When 9 mile is open I will let everybody know.

The word about town is: DOT tried to get the upper road clearing going. They made it 200 yards in and decided to start the lower end. There is about 10 feet of snow at the weir area, if that gives you an idea. I'm sure there is at least that much at 9 mile, it is a little clearer there and there has been snowmobile traffic to beat it down a little more. I'm sure somebody will offer to get you up there on a snow-machine.
    Bob's Blog should be a good up to date, keep checking there. He is neighbors with the DOT and will be in the know.
    When I know more you will too.
    PS: it's snowing

A HUGE leap forward today on road snow removal! They are just shy of the Lost River Bridge with the single loader width. Then they have two dozers widening the lane that are running right about two days behind, so full road width tonight is right about where the 4/1 arrow shows. Yesterday was very slow going, but today more than made up for it:

Also in road news... Another state DOT crew arrived on today's jet, so they will be able to work double shifts. They have finally reached the thinner snow, so I would expect the first single lane will reach the landing within the next three days, followed by an actual open road by the end of the week (that's MY guess, not DOT's). PROVIDING IT DOESN'T SNOW of course... We had another wonderfully sunny day today, but clouds have moved in and the temperature is dropping. Hopefully there isn't any moisture in this, but we are definitely feeling a change in the air.
    I know a lot of trips have already been cancelled and there has been a lot of grumbling about DOT. Believe me, my cash flow without an open road is ZERO, so I understand the impatience! But... these guys are working their butts off to get this road open, after working long hours all winter trying to keep this %$#@ airport open, while also keeping the roads around town plowed through this winter. Remember, Cordova had the National Guard called in to help them dig out of OUR snow. We didn't. These guys deserve a hand, not a knife in the back.