Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cookinlet clam digging

Default Cookinlet clam digging

Hey just curious, is month of April any good for razor clams or is it too early?

You can get them anytime. It helps if the tide is negative - if it isn't it becomes extreme clamming - with snorkel gear!

It has nothing to do with the time of year, just the tides. On 4/8/12 there is a -4.7, that would be a great tide for razors.

http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/...amtides12.html
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default Any month with an R in it

Is the rule according to my family back home. When you don't have beaches that are monitored for psp the winter months are the only months you dig clams to reduce the risk.

Thanks guys 😃

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    Is the rule according to my family back home. When you don't have beaches that are monitored for psp the winter months are the only months you dig clams to reduce the risk.
    Can u die from that? Heard a lot of people got sick/ill from consuming razor clams last year!

Yes, it can kill you. We clam near homer in the summer months. I didn't hear of anyone getting sick from eating clams last year. My son was digging them all summer through till the fishing season was over.

That april 8 tide is a good one. Lots of time to get your 60 with water that low.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    PSP in alaska can be found in any month, and is a pervasive toxin especially in butter clams and mussels.
    there was a pretty good radio story on APRN just the other day.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Ak_Barbarian View Post
    Hey just curious, is month of April any good for razor clams or is it too early?
    I was out clamming a bit at the minus 3'+ tides wkend of 10-11 of March ( 2 wks ago) and picked up enough for a couple meals. In fact, I found clamming a bit better only half way out the beach on the lowest part of the tide. I find they are a bit tougher to find 'the show' (dimple) during the colder months, but i pulled 22 out in 90 minutes just strolling around. Temps were about 20 degrees. April is a good month to go as there are no crowds and the weather can be better. I've gotten clams in Dec at 17degrees. ...Happy clamming!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

hows acces to the beach? I imagine clam gulch is snowed in but how about Nlnilchic?

I was told that clams are skinny in July/early August from spawning earlier in the summer. Is that true and does it really matter as far as the edible parts?

Does anybody have an up date on Clam gulch rd like mentioned above ? We plan on hitting the first minus tides in April going to be some low tides
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

[QUOTE=zfisher;1097493]hows acces to the beach? I imagine clam gulch is snowed in but how about Nlnilchic?[/....****............We got access at Ninilchik beach 2 weeks ago.The early winter storms again tore the beachfront road up. They patched it back together and there is alot of snow there and not much for parking but there was only 3 cars there, so no prob for us. The parking area that used to be to the left (as u hit the beach) is washed out again. A couple days ago, Dp Crk access was snowed in, so no access there yet. Don't know about Clam bch rd access. Last yr we clammed May and July. Boy, were they fat in July. But I think I liked the early ones better for eating. July ones were almost too.....rich?? If that is the right word.

The road down to the beach at Dp Crk has been plowed and there is a small space above the beach in the parking area to turn around. The parking area is not plowed out and there is quite a large ice 'step' to get from the unplowed lot onto the beach itself. Ninilchik beach area and lot, pretty much the same thing. One vehicle did make it on the beach at Ninny. The road thru the village will not be negotiable for quite a while yet. Too much snow and ice against the cliff wall. I expect someone will clean up the snow a bit more in both locations in the next couple wks. I still have no report on clam gulch rd.

You guys got me hungry for clams again.....Mmmmmmm...

oh and btw.....I think I've clammed in almost all the summer, and early spring months and have never gotten sick. And from what I remember, even though it's cold, I remember the clamming being a bit easier this time of year. They aren't down as deep, and sometimes they are just barely under the surface.

My wife and I went in October 2 years ago, on a night tide. It wasn't terribly cold, but finding the shows with headlights in the dark sucked. Linda didn't really like going out too far either - afeard of the tide trapping us -

We got 1 limit between the two of us - but clamming is better done in the daylight!

Warning, how to count Clams.

When a LFO counts your clams each "piece" is counted as a whole clam. If you cut a clam in haft that is counted as two clams if in third that is counted as three clams.

No catch and release on the clams either. If you hit part of one you have to keep that part that you find. If it is small you are to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    No catch and release on the clams either. If you hit part of one you have to keep that part that you find. If it is small you are to keep it.
    It may be in the rule book but it ain't making me do it. If I break a clam I keep it....even if it's small. But if I dig a dinky clam that is perfectly good, then back in the hole it goes.....sorry....

Clam Gulch road was open to the park. The road down to the beach was heavily snowed in. Looks like a few folks have made a trail from the park down, but i didnt go on down. Could be a bit till that stretch gets open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast