Thread: Electric downrigger plug connection

Default Electric downrigger plug connection

I'm having trouble with the connections between the plug and the receptacles on my Cannon DRs. I've used di-electric grease to made a better connection but it stopped working and has turned gray. I need to clean it out and start over I guess. The downrigger works if I use my toe to pull up on the plug and make a tight connection.

Any suggestions?

Here's what a new plug looks like...

plug.jpg

The only thing I could suggest with the original ones is to slightly squeeze the yellow plug so that the pins fit a little tighter.
    Personally I would switch over to the Marinco style plug/socket combo Spoiled One has recomended.

One thing better than di-electric grease is Corrosion-X or Corrosion Block. Its at the Gear Shed but kinda expensive, and worth every penny. Spray everything electric with it. I also swapped to Scotty style plugs, seem to be holding up better.

I use Anderson connectors for downriggers, pot pullers, and other high current DC connections. Unlike the connectors that come with Cannon or Scotty downriggers, the Anderson connectors can be disassembled and cleaned when needed, and are rated for continuous duty, not intermittent. Give them a blast of fresh water and some WD-40, Corrosion Block, BoShield, ... after each trip, or two , or three, and they will last a long time.

http://www.andersonpower.com/products/multipole-sb.html

Quote Originally Posted by vaaler View Post
    I use Anderson connectors for downriggers, pot pullers, and other high current DC connections. Unlike the connectors that come with Cannon or Scotty downriggers, the Anderson connectors can be disassembled and cleaned when needed, and are rated for continuous duty, not intermittent. Give them a blast of fresh water and some WD-40, Corrosion Block, BoShield, ... after each trip, or two , or three, and they will last a long time.

http://www.andersonpower.com/products/multipole-sb.html

Anderson connectors here for everything on my boat and have my friend`s boat wired the same so we can use the puller and Digi-Trolls on either if needed/wanted....these are a very positive fitting connection and can`t recommend them enough. I also use them for my work and have never had a connection failure due to them. See Polar Wire for all of the components...they will even do the wiring on your riggers if you take them in.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Looks like a different style plug would be the permanent fix. Our boat has the style Spoiled One suggested. A readily-available interim option [since you said it turns gray ~ corrosion?] I might suggest is Vaseline ~ I work out at the Anchorage airport and they've been using it with great success on ground support equipment electrical connections. That equipment sit's out in the weather [Inlet salt water borders the entire western perimeter of the airport] all the time.

Thank you guys. I've ordered the Marinco...

Charterboat Operator

might order a couple of them myself, been using the standard scotty's, and sometimes it is a lot like playing twister on the boat getting them to work, i do like the fact that the scotty's are built with the plug basically under a hood. If the marinco plugs are mounted on a vertical surface do they take in water? on the other hand, I have gotten close to 7 years out of the scottys so maybe just replace them with the standard one every 6-7 years??

Pole Bender, the newer Scottys are build by Marinco, twist-lock, and have brackets to fasten in a number of different ways. They are built the same as the standard Marinco's but have 2 connectors instead of 3, all you need. Here is a good link to them http://www.salmonuniversity.com/pr_p...otty_Plug.html

Quote Originally Posted by tomfishhunter View Post
    Pole Bender, the newer Scottys are build by Marinco, twist-lock, and have brackets to fasten in a number of different ways. They are built the same as the standard Marinco's but have 2 connectors instead of 3, all you need. Here is a good link to them http://www.salmonuniversity.com/pr_p...otty_Plug.html
    You need to buy some corrion-x. period...............

Charterboat Operator

thanks tomfish, 7 years on the old style, and i have only ever replaced 1, still with the old style, like the flip down cap, so i think just for grins i will replace them with the newere style,
    AK corrosion X on the boat, everywhere good stuff, wish i would have know about it 7-8 years ago.

Got those plugs replaced with the Marinco's: no problemo now. Thanks guys.

Charterboat Operator

Just got mine done as well, looking forward to testing them out tomorrow.!!