Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bino covers for the field suggestions?

I too never worried about keeping my binos in a bag. Just seemed a bit much to me. Of course as a guide you pretty much walk around all day with your binos attached to your head....lol. My Swaros are waterproof so I don't mind them out in the elements. I use a Cabela's "Bino Buddy" that I got years ago. The only thing that is covered are the eyepieces. And with one quick pull on the one piece cover, without the need to even look, I can have them to my eyes in an instant. I also like the rubber tube that goes around my back and holds the binos from swinging while I'm walking, but allows me to pull them up easily to use them. The rubber tube can easily be disconnected as well. Works for me....

i'm gonna go this route http://www.oregonpackworks.com/Articles.asp?ID=255 i don't like bulk either & just want something to shield the rain, dirt & snow. these things don't way much & are basically just a cover with out bulk or fancy gimics

one thing to consider that nylon strap that goes around your neck might tear your skin up after a long hike or days of wearing...

I've been using the Crooked Horn Outfitters cover for a few years now. The stitching tore out of the first cover within a few hunts, but Sportsmans Warehouse replaced it no questions asked. I've been using the replacement for a few years now with no complaints. My 10x42 SLC's fit just fine and my camera fits in the front zipper pouch which makes taking photos convenient.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    one thing to consider that nylon strap that goes around your neck might tear your skin up after a long hike or days of wearing...
    just plan on using the cover with my current system....but thanks for pointing that out .....

Supporting Member broncoformudv's Avatar

Lujon on that note do they hold much water on the inside when you put wet binocs inside....
    I have worn mine out in the rain for days on end and never had an issue with them retaining water. They do get damp and the lenses fog up but they do that anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I have worn mine out in the rain for days on end and never had an issue with them retaining water. They do get damp and the lenses fog up but they do that anyways.
    I have never had my binocs fog or have condensation issues from regular caps,get wet during rain while using yes one rain stops dry them off and thats it

Ain't that the truth. No matter what ya do binos WILL get wet eventually if its a constant rain all day and you are trying to glass in it, no way around that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Ain't that the truth. No matter what ya do binos WILL get wet eventually if its a constant rain all day and you are trying to glass in it, no way around that.
    Yes that is true my point was that if those cases get wet on the inside and dont get dried out you will have condensation issues long after the rain stops and as some have asked about putting electronic equipment in there along with binos I thought I would point that out....
    To the op these systems work great and as with anything know the limitations and you will never have a problem all the best...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Alaska Guide creations here as well, one of my favorite pieces of gear! I tried on the badlands and it was just too bulky for me.
    Just got one of these after seeing Alaska_Lanche use it exclusively on last seasons sheep hunts. It's perfect. Looking forward to using it this year.

They do get damp and the lenses fog up but they do that anyways.
    Not mine. But then again I don't put mine in a bag or under a coat next to my body either....

Bargain cave. Badlands bino case... http://www.cabelas.com/product/Barga...3Bcat105675480

Supporting Member broncoformudv's Avatar

I have never had my binocs fog or have condensation issues from regular caps,get wet during rain while using yes one rain stops dry them off and thats it
    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Not mine. But then again I don't put mine in a bag or under a coat next to my body either....
    Thats it I need to tag along with you guys for a day of hunting in some damp conditions to learn how you keep your lenses from fogging up. It does not matter what I do mine fog up on my binocs and spotter when its wet out or when the temps take a drop.

Thats it I need to tag along with you guys for a day of hunting in some damp conditions to learn how you keep your lenses from fogging up. It does not matter what I do mine fog up on my binocs and spotter when its wet out or when the temps take a drop.
    Bronco I think there seems to be a misunderstanding as to the point i am trying to convey.so to be fair to the OP I will try to clarify.First I do not take offering advice on gear lightly as it could potentially cost someone money so therefore I try to give advice based on personal experiences or potential issues I see from field experience and give reasons. I do not advise someone to spend money on something just because joe or bob has it I try to give constructive advice and let the person asking make an educated choice based on all reasons good or bad.With that said one of the benefits of being a guide for so long is that I get to see a lot of gear in the field and see how it preforms.I have seen many of these bino covers so I have seen some of the shortcomings in my opinion.I have no personal experience with the AGC which is why I asked about how they hold moisture. When it rains of course everything gets wet unless maybe you are a fair weather hunter and hide in a tent,that was not my point my point was and I have seen this more then once, is that when some of these bino cases get wet they take a day or more to dry after the rain stops and when the binos are stored in the wet case it causes condensation on the lenses even though its not raining and its a pain to keep the lens dry,this might not be a big deal to binos but it could be if you have electronics or cameras in there as well.I wanted to point this out so as to be aware of that situation not to dissuade someone from buying them .With standard swaro lens caps when the rain stops I simply dry the lens and inside of caps if wet and be done with it, no condensation or fogging issues. I have seen hunters keep their bino cases in their jackets and that has also worked pretty well.Bronco you can hunt with me anytime a guided hunt goes for $17k or if you want to be a packer I can probably get you $75 a day .. In all seriousness Bronco I would hunt with you anytime...stay safe
    Dave

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. I live in western Orgeon and use swaros and it rains here sometimes lol. I keep my lens covers on as much as I can when glassing but I hate when water is on the top or bottom lenses or mud and this is mostly driving around to vantage points and getting out or retrieving an animal. This is why I am checking in on this I have never been on a 10day hunt in Alaska living out of a tent so I can only imagine the weather driving me crazy with my binos. Thanks for the opinions and advise. These will be used in Oregon as well.

man i'm way behind...but don't plan on changing.
    i wear a button up shirt and just dro my binos in my shirt, i use a plan bino strap NO BINO BRA for me. can't stand those things. i change layers all the time and bino holders and pockets are just more weight and straps and things to mess with. why complicate the one tool i use the most often. binos drop in my jacket/shirt stay warm and dry and right against my body.
    Master guide license #212.....now what?!

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    man i'm way behind...but don't plan on changing.
    i wear a button up shirt and just dro my binos in my shirt, i use a plan bino strap NO BINO BRA for me. can't stand those things. i change layers all the time and bino holders and pockets are just more weight and straps and things to mess with. why complicate the one tool i use the most often. binos drop in my jacket/shirt stay warm and dry and right against my body.
    See, that's interesting, and I've seen other people do it, but anytime I try and put my binos inside my shirt or coat next to my body, THAT is when they get fogged up. Like Bear, all I do is wipe the lenses and inside of the cover, and I'm good to go. The one piece lens cover I have will only keep water from falling on the lens, but are still able to breathe. That's why I feel they never fog up.

mine have never fogged up in my shirt, i have the top lense cover that came with my bino's and thats it. i don't put my binos on my bare skin, just inside my jacket or whatever i've got on. but never against my skin...that would fog them up for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    mine have never fogged up in my shirt, i have the top lense cover that came with my bino's and thats it. i don't put my binos on my bare skin, just inside my jacket or whatever i've got on. but never against my skin...that would fog them up for sure!
    No....I don't mean next to my skin either. Just under anything....

gotcha, ya i've never had an issue with mine fogging...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast