Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bino covers for the field suggestions?

Default Bino covers for the field suggestions?

Been using a plain bino system for a long time. I was thinking maybe for my first time out on the tundra for a week should I think about using a system I can still wear at my chest but offers more protection against rain like a bino cover or big bino pocket. What do you guys use to keep your glass out of the elements?
    Thanks

I just bought the Badlands bino case last week from Wholesale sports for about 55$. I have a buddy who has one and loves it.
    haven't tried it yet with a backpack on, might try to figure out how to attach it to the backpack shoulder straps.

http://www.badlandspacks.com/index.php?go=Packs_Acc02

Before I had always used the cabelas binocular harness and kept the bino's inside my jacket but that didn't work very well. keeping them outside the jacket here in western washington was a pain to keep dry/clean. hopefully this bino pack works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman from Vegas View Post
    Been using a plain bino system for a long time. I was thinking maybe for my first time out on the tundra for a week should I think about using a system I can still wear at my chest but offers more protection against rain like a bino cover or big bino pocket. What do you guys use to keep your glass out of the elements?
    Thanks
    Me and several friends have been using the Bino Chest Pack, by Alaska Guide Creations. Great gear, keeps my Binos and range finder handy along with a few other must haves.

http://alaskaguidecreations.com/binopack.htm

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Badlands bino case
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

I use the Badlands, Its pretty nice uses a magnet lip to stay closed.Little pockets for your lis. and tags.

S4 lockdown

http://s4gear.com/products/lockdown

Tried the Badlands, nice n all but felt like carrying a kid around all day.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Alaska Guide creations here as well, one of my favorite pieces of gear! I tried on the badlands and it was just too bulky for me.

Thank you for the replies. I really like the looks of the Alaskan Guide Creation. It is what I am looking for, hugs the chest tight and hopefully keeps the binos dry. I was hoping to be able to fit my 10x42 Swaro SLC's and my Swaro range finder which is kind of big. You guys think both could fit?
    Thanks

+1 for the S4 Lockdown, won't hold the rangefinder also but could probably be attached to the harness with a rangefinder clip
    "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - Unknown
    Literal Translation:
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

I also use the Alaska Guide Bino Pouch and can't find anything negative to say about it. Its a great product and the designer is a great guy as well!

I use a kluged together hybrid system for my older Leica Trinovid binos:
    - crooked horn outfitters chest strap
    - Clear Eyes ocular lens cover (http://tangooutdoorgear.com/products.php). They're made near me but I don't know the guy, not pimping his stuff.
    - Leica Object lens covers, bought straight from Leica USA. These are the friction fit covers, one for each lens. I use electricians tape to really grip the rings onto the barrels of the binos.

Personally I don't like a bag hanging on my chest, I like how the Clear Eyes can be flipped off the ocular lenses in a jiffy and protects them from rain. If it isn't raining I leave the Leica objective lens covers hanging off.

The problem with this system is the Leica objective lens covers. They can rip off pretty easy if your not careful.
    Also, I live in Montana where we rarely get heavy rain or all day long drizzle. I used mine in Alaska a few times and it worked well but I didn't experience much rain.

Sitka's coming out with a new bino strap and case with swank pockets on the side like their packs. but $99!! Geez.

Badlands system hands down! They fit my 10x42 Swaro SLC's snug and secure, used them north and south of the brooks range and I highly recommend them. Head down to Sportsmans and check them out!

Take your binos to the sporting goods store and find the butler Creek Flip up scope covers that fit over the objective lens. This way the glass is protected but you don't have to wear a bulky bag around your chest or dig your binos out of it every time you want to use them. It's second nature for me now to bring my binos up and in one motion use my fingers to flip open the lens covers. I use the stock Leica ocular cover that came with them for the eyepiece lenses.

Here are a couple pics from my 2009 goat hunt that show the AGC chest pack.

Normal use...

Doesn't make a bad rifle rest either.. The goat was walking on that thin white line way up the hill in front of me just before this picture was taken. At the time of the photo it is laying at the bottom of the scree slope.

I have personally considered these bino systems before and decided against it and thought I would share my reasons. First it seemed too difficult to get my binocs out in a hurry,seemed I had to fidgit around a bit. Second they didnt seem to work with my pack as my backpack strap between the shoulder straps across my chest interfered with them,and lastly being they are only water resistant(not sure on all) I had concerns of the material holding moisture and condensating on the glass as it dried out.all the best to you
    Dave

Mine stays dry in general wet conditions but in rain I just put it under my rain coat same as I did when I carried my binos around my neck. I like the AGC because it doesn't have all the fancy shoulder pads, just simple straps that I don't notice under a heavy pack. The AGC chest pack is worn just below my cross chest pack strap. Personally I find it much easier to get to them in the chest pack. No fighting elastic straps like some systems. Just a quick release clip and the top flips up and they are right there. I have no lens covers on them in the bag so no fiddling with that stuff.

The badlands is no doubt great as well, but I have no use for the extra bulk or the fancy shoulder strap system.

I have been using Crooked Horn bino system and shield for years I love it never had a problem.Stay tight on the chest when running or crawling

http://crookedhorn.com/cms_ver_03/in...mart&Itemid=72

Man!!! Now that's a pair of specs. in this video Could count the rings on a ram from walmart parking lot

http://crookedhorn.com/cms_ver_03/in...mart&Itemid=72
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Funny how different we all are. I used the bino shield for a couple seasons and hated them! I would tighten it up so it didn't flop all around on the wheeler or if I had to move quick and it would ride great. Problem was when I needed to use them the elastic pulled down on the binos when I had them up to my eyes. Not a problem if I just wanted to find out what a spot was in the distance, but for extended glassing it was miserable. I ended up adjusting them constantly. You can see in the pics on the links roger posted that the elastic pulls down on the binoculars under normal use.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Mine stays dry in general wet conditions but in rain I just put it under my rain coat same as I did when I carried my binos around my neck. I like the AGC because it doesn't have all the fancy shoulder pads, just simple straps that I don't notice under a heavy pack. The AGC chest pack is worn just below my cross chest pack strap. Personally I find it much easier to get to them in the chest pack. No fighting elastic straps like some systems. Just a quick release clip and the top flips up and they are right there. I have no lens covers on them in the bag so no fiddling with that stuff.

The badlands is no doubt great as well, but I have no use for the extra bulk or the fancy shoulder strap system.
    I will admit that the AGC do look to be the best of what I have seen and I would not be opposed to trying those out nor dissuading others just wanted share some other points to consider...

Lujon on that note do they hold much water on the inside when you put wet binocs inside....
    Last edited by Bear; 03-21-2012 at 16:10. Reason: content

+1 on the Butler Creek covers. Withstands SE rain so should work anywhere.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast