Thread: Bear hunting in crows pass

Default Bear hunting in crows pass

How hard is the hike to get some good bears in crows pass at the end of June?

That's a tough question to answer, as one man's reasonable is another man's miserable. I really enjoy that hike, but it's got its challenges. To get to the legal bear hunting area (and where you'll actually start seeing bears) from the Girdwood side, you're looking at a ~2,000 foot elevation gain over the first 2 miles, another mile crossing snow, a small creek, and soggy ground, then another mile of crossing snowslides on steep slopes as you descend about 800 feet or so. For someone in reasonable shape, it's a great hike - but I've seen people get in way over their heads if they're looking for a simple walk in the woods. If you're going from the Eagle River side, you're looking at 6 miles of reasonably flat hiking to get to the legal hunting area. Be aware also that you need to be a set distance from the trail to legally shoot in the Park - I think it is a 1/4 mile limitation, but don't take my word for it.

From my understanding, it's open for black bear in Girdwood as soon as you're 1/2 mile from the highway. This was based on conversations with the local trooper, APD and the Chugach nat'l foest people. Chugach state park is open to general season moose and black bear hunting and the National Forest get's it's hunting specs from ADFG. As long as you're 1/2 mile from the highway (to discharge a weapon) you're good. You don't have to hike past the Nat'l forest to legally hunt.

here's the link to the national forest site on hunting. they direct you to ADFG for any regulations.
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/chug...eation/hunting
    "...and if you dont have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." - Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Buy guns, its Biblical.

Also, you don't have to be 1/4 mile from a trail to shoot. Just 1/2 mile from any road, campground, picnic area, ski area or other facility. Trails dont have a set distance.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chugach/rules.htm
    "...and if you dont have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." - Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Buy guns, its Biblical.

The hike is not that hard...you can do the whole thing in 13 hours starting from the Girdwood side. You'll see alot of other hikers too.

Thanks for the clarification, highestview. I was basing my 1/4 mile assumption off of old info - apparently I was incorrect. The 1/2 mile from a campground restriction can be a kicker, though. There are quite a few established campgrounds along that trail, so folks need to know where they're at. You're right that you can take bears on the Girdwood side, but I personally have been leery of doing so due to private property back on Crow Creek Mine Road and not knowing where the boundaries of said land are.

As for moose, while Chugach State Park does have some open moose hunting, it is a drainage-by-drainage deal. Eagle River itself is not open, which includes Raven Creek and most of the Crow Pass trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    As for moose, while Chugach State Park does have some open moose hunting, it is a drainage-by-drainage deal. Eagle River itself is not open, which includes Raven Creek and most of the Crow Pass trail.
    Actually, with the exception of Tokle Creek drainage (Arctic Valley), all of the Chugach State Park area is open to general season for moose and black bear. All other animals are parcelled out via drawing permit, but not moose and black bear. Suprisingly common misconception. It suprised me to recently discover that you can hunt moose and run ATV's from Indian.

"Restriction: The area is open to hunting under regulations governing Unit 14(C), except as follows:
    1. black bear hunting is open from the day after Labor Day through May 31, for 1 bear only;
    2. no hunting is allowed for squirrel, wolf, wolverine, coyote and unclassified game;
    3. small game hunting is prohibited in the Tokle Creek drainage (Arctic Valley Ski Area);
    4. brown bear hunting is open by drawing permit only form the day after Labor Day through May 31View Map: GIF Map (156 K) PDF Map (574 K)
    Area Description: The Chugach State Park Management Area: the area consists of that portion of Chugach State Park outside of the Eagle River, Anchorage, and Eklutna Management Areas"

Buy guns, its Biblical.

the park has a bunch of different restrictions for hunting.
    Eklutna is archery permit only for brown bear, moose,sheep... archery only for blackie
    Birchwood has a permit system in there..
    eagle river management area is permit for hunting some draw some over the counter,hunter ed required also for some..
    lots of crazy regs in there...read carefully
    there are a lot of blackie oppurtunities in the park as highestview pointed out just read carefully and when in doubt call adfg..

crow pass trail would not be my first choice in the park for blackie,if you want to do a hike and hunt blackie in the park message me and I can give you an area that has been successful to me....

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...pdfs/gmu14.pdf

just noticed another thing some black bear hunts in the park close as early as may 31 and dont reopen till sept 6 others are jun15 close til sept 6 so you will need to consider that as to where you go at the end of june as well...
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Actually, with the exception of Tokle Creek drainage (Arctic Valley), all of the Chugach State Park area is open to general season for moose and black bear. All other animals are parcelled out via drawing permit, but not moose and black bear. Suprisingly common misconception. It suprised me to recently discover that you can hunt moose and run ATV's from Indian.

"Restriction: The area is open to hunting under regulations governing Unit 14(C), except as follows:
    1. black bear hunting is open from the day after Labor Day through May 31, for 1 bear only;
    2. no hunting is allowed for squirrel, wolf, wolverine, coyote and unclassified game;
    3. small game hunting is prohibited in the Tokle Creek drainage (Arctic Valley Ski Area);
    4. brown bear hunting is open by drawing permit only form the day after Labor Day through May 31View Map: GIF Map (156 K) PDF Map (574 K)
    Area Description: The Chugach State Park Management Area: the area consists of that portion of Chugach State Park outside of the Eagle River, Anchorage, and Eklutna Management Areas"
    The Chugach State Park Management Area does not comprise all of Chugach State Park. That is a very important distinction. Large parts of Chugach State Park are outside of the Chugach State Park Management Area. As your quoted text above notes, Eagle River, the Anchorage Hillside, and other areas lie outside that area are are largely closed to moose hunting at all or are tightly restricted by registration or drawing permits. That's what I noted previously - that it's a drainage-by-drainage deal and that the vast majority of the Crow Pass trail lies outside of the Chugach State Park Management Area and is closed to moose hunting. I'm not trying to correct you here, but it's important that people have all of the relevant information.

If you are considering hunting under registration permit RL460, you are required to be 1/4 mile off the crow pass trail. This is an ADFG restriction for this hunt, not a DNR/Parks restriction.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...tfile_id=11449

Good luck
    If you are very lucky in life, you will have one dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    If you are considering hunting under registration permit RL460, you are required to be 1/4 mile off the crow pass trail. This is an ADFG restriction for this hunt, not a DNR/Parks restriction.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...tfile_id=11449

Good luck

Thanks Milo, that's the restriction I was thinking of. As this permit covers the majority of the Crow Pass trail, that restriction holds true for most of the area.

thanks man for the info i really appreciate it. im deployed right now and im really looking forward going hunting again. its going to be a 5 day trip.

It just kind of makes sense not to leave a carcass right next to one of the most popular hiking trails in the state. Even were it legal, which it sounds it is not, it would not be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFmedic View Post
    thanks man for the info i really appreciate it. im deployed right now and im really looking forward going hunting again. its going to be a 5 day trip.
    Did you notice the hunt dates on the link that Milo posted? You mentioned the end of June in your first post, but that hunt closes on June 15th.

ya im trying to get a diffrent schedule set up with my buddy. thanks man

where goin to crystal lake

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Did you notice the hunt dates on the link that Milo posted? You mentioned the end of June in your first post, but that hunt closes on June 15th.
    perhaps..not..

we just spent a year sorti g out bear seasons and bag limits. black bear baiting, seasons are not codified and under discretionary authority...
    while spotting is not baiting the seasons run tje same... most of the state just went to a june 30.. xcept SE and unit 6.. so if the dept gets off the duff..spring seasons will be the new seasons we sorted out...(we being the sub committee that worked on it, including self, ) the dept indicated at this last meeting they would be able to make those changes this season...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The Chugach State Park Management Area does not comprise all of Chugach State Park. That is a very important distinction. Large parts of Chugach State Park are outside of the Chugach State Park Management Area. As your quoted text above notes, Eagle River, the Anchorage Hillside, and other areas lie outside that area are are largely closed to moose hunting at all or are tightly restricted by registration or drawing permits. That's what I noted previously - that it's a drainage-by-drainage deal and that the vast majority of the Crow Pass trail lies outside of the Chugach State Park Management Area and is closed to moose hunting. I'm not trying to correct you here, but it's important that people have all of the relevant information.
    Right. I should have clarified that. It's handy that anywhere in the 'Chugach State Park Management Area' is suprisingly open.

For private land info www.anchoragelive.com shows all parcels and even the owners info. I've used it to contact someone in Girdwood and email them for permission to use their land. It's an excellent resource for figuring out private land boundaries and ownership status and it goes from Girdwood all the way up to Eklutna.

Buy guns, its Biblical.

well were not going to be right on the trail our spot is about a 1/4 to about a 1/2 mile off the trail and we are all respectable hunters by all means.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    It just kind of makes sense not to leave a carcass right next to one of the most popular hiking trails in the state. Even were it legal, which it sounds it is not, it would not be a good idea.