Thread: Moose Hunting Waders

Default Moose Hunting Waders

I have been trying to find waders for my moose hunting partner for our drop in lake hunt this fall. He is 6' 2" and about 240 lbs and wears a size 15 shoe. All of the chest waders or pant style waders that I can find only go to size 14 and even then are made for someone with a size 48 waist. He's about a size 38 - 40 waist.
    I have looked at (online) Barney's Sourdough slipper and Wiggy's Waders and don't know if these would be adequate for a drop in lake hunt (area 12).
    He currently has a pair of neoprene stockingfoot waders that work but need patched. I was thinking neoprene would not be preferred for a fall hunt.

BTW..I emailed Wiggy's and asked them about their waders, what size to get, and how they compare in design to Barney's Sourdough Slipper. I was kinda taken back by the president's reply:

"I have no idea as to what that company sells nor do I care.
    I know that what I make and sell works for the purpose it is to be used.
    Sorry for the tough attitude.
    Jerry Wigutow
    President
    Wiggy's Inc."

Must not have had his coffee this morning???

What a butthole. Funny though. As for waders ankle fit hoppers and a guide jacket. Used by 90% of land based hunters I'm sure. Cheap body condom!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Ill add one too. Old pair of rain paints cut off like shorts work great with ankle fits..

Barney's Sourdough slipper, is pretty much the same thing as the NEOS River Trekker, I have been using them for years and use them several times each year. The are tough enough to hold up to bush whacking and have a Vibram sole.

The Wiggy's waders are more like the Barneys Glacier Sock, only they have a light weight sole and go over your boots as where the Glacier Socks are made to wear over the boot liners that go into plastic boots.

With the Neos, they show that an XX-Large will fit a size 15.
    http://overshoesonline.com/rtk8/NEOS...pper-Brown.htm

I also use the Wiggy's Waders, they are for quick crossing and are not made to wear for long distances. They only weigh around a pound and the Neos weight close to 5 lbs.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

If your going to be in unit 12 around a lake, I am going to say just get some extra toughs. Most water along the lakes isn't deep enough to require hip waders. Not sure if you will need a pair to get out of the float plane or not though. I've spent a lot of time in unit 12 and would never moose hunt with hip waders. Might end up with wet feet, but can deal with it. I do all my moose hunting with extra toughs.

For our hunt we will be dropped off at a lake near the Nebesna river and from what I can tell its very flat and swampy. Do you think overshoes would be adequate? members on this forum have informed me to stay put while moose hunting and not spread my scent around so I dont think we'll be hiking much.

WWST?

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    If your going to be in unit 12 around a lake, I am going to say just get some extra toughs. Most water along the lakes isn't deep enough to require hip waders. Not sure if you will need a pair to get out of the float plane or not though. I've spent a lot of time in unit 12 and would never moose hunt with hip waders. Might end up with wet feet, but can deal with it. I do all my moose hunting with extra toughs.
    Thanks.

Pm on the way..

I am guessing I know what lake you will be at. I think the best thing you can do for moose is to find a high spot and glass. Walking around rarely reaps you any rewards. Find a knoll to spend time glassing from and calling from. Do it at the same spot each day. Eventually something will show up. Slogging around through the swamps and black spruce is pretty fruitless. Moose hunting is about spotting and patience and then if you pull the trigger, a lot of sweat and hard work!

i like the standard $70 cammo stocking foot neo's. in the boat, on the land, in the mountians, you can sit down anywhere and not be wet. all alaska is wet. wet equals death.

I generally take extra tuffs along with hip waders or chest waders.

How about a pair of xtra tuffs ... and with the challenges you're finding with shoe sizes, and potential for the moose to end up in the lake, how about a wet suit?
    Hooker ads seem to be okay on Craiglist but not legal stuff like guns. (ADfields)

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    I generally take extra tuffs along with hip waders or chest waders.

How about a pair of xtra tuffs ... and with the challenges you're finding with shoe sizes, and potential for the moose to end up in the lake, how about a wet suit?
    Xtratufs go to size 16 so were OK there. We are limited to only 700# on the float plane and we had to decide between the bottle of Fireball (weighs 3 lbs) or the wetsuit. Wetsuits staying home...

I hunt both sides of a wade-able river, and water crossings are a fact of my moose hunting. I personally can't stand the attributes of hip boots or waders all day long. I've spent plenty of very warm days walking in the September bush and perspiring. No way would I have an interest in wearing a heat-retaining and waterproof anything on the lower half of my body all day. My preferred wader is the Wiggy's Wader. I've got 4 years use out of one pair, and I will get 5 easily. They weigh almost nothing and compress to softball size for carrying. Mine occasionally develop a small leak during a hunt, but I don't sweat that. The main thing is no gushing water or wet boots. Using this system I get to hunt in my preferred boots all day, and my feet are in good shape to the end of the hunt.

I've always been interested in the Barney's Sourdough Slipper. The 4# weight just doesn't work for me on a Super Cub drop. I carry my Wiggy's with me all day long, and can't think I'd like packing 4#s of size-XL overboots either in or outside my pack. I have 100% certainty that I would love them when crossing water. Just one of those 'let it go' things for me.

By the way. I spent 6 hours in calf-deep water last September while butchering my bull. My Wigs didn't leak and my boots/pants avoided all the bloody/mucky slough water.

There ya go Fish Hunter. I would listen to what Northway says as he is a local up that way. Now that I think about it, when we hunted with 40 mile I just used knee high boots as well though we did get wet trying to get out of the plane on some weird floating grass.

I really like hippers myself, I stay dry and warm for the most part and I deal with a LOT of swamp and water where I hunt. I also always have extra toughs as a backup. If I could get by with just tuffs I would. Here are two photos in both hippers and x-tra toughs.

Rest of my gear is simple, hasn't changed. Zip off nylon pants, long underwear underneath. Long underwear top, wool sweater, and fleece coat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    There ya go Fish Hunter. I would listen to what Northway says as he is a local up that way. Now that I think about it, when we hunted with 40 mile I just used knee high boots as well though we did get wet trying to get out of the plane on some weird floating grass.

I really like hippers myself, I stay dry and warm for the most part and I deal with a LOT of swamp and water where I hunt. I also always have extra toughs as a backup. If I could get by with just tuffs I would. Here are two photos in both hippers and x-tra toughs.

Rest of my gear is simple, hasn't changed. Zip off nylon pants, long underwear underneath. Long underwear top, wool sweater, and fleece coat.
    Thanks Gooch!
    I won't sweat getting him waders then. we'll have xtraTuffs and I'll have a pair of chest waders if our moose decides to go swimming before he dies.

Nice pics! how big were those moose? From judging the pictures they look taller than you, and knowing how tall you are I would estimate about 60"??

Just Kidding! Very nice!

If your area doesn't require them hipboots are a very common hunting gear up here. I hunt in goretex waders, but it's what I've got and I hate anklefit hipboots. What I like about the waders is that there is no leaking off of my jacket down my hipboots, and you are completely rainproof or wet bushwack proof. Lots of good wading boots out there as well with support way superior to extra toughs or La Crosse hippers.

As far as what kind, definitely don't have him wear the neoprenes unless it's for a last ditch, moose in the water emergency. To even breath in those things makes me sweat. Even Cabelas cheapies would get him through a hunt or two, but don't know what to tell you on big feet issue.

And the "noise" of waders is not an issue (before someone brings it up). I've shot all my moose in waders, often after bushwacking, several within 100 yards and one with a bow at 15.

Lots of people do it without, but I personally prefer the waders.

HA! Moose on the left is 69.5" (I thought I had the magical 70), moose on the right is 69" even. Moose on the right is B&C, left is not but was an old warrior for sure. The 69.5 I called in from over 2 miles, or at least I think it came to the call. Bad part was there was a small mountain between us and the strip making the pack something akin of a disaster. I told the hunter it was barely 50 when we walked up to it. He looked at it and said, "Are you sure, it seems bigger to me?" This was a bone in area and the quarters were pretty brutal to pack over the mountain but it was well worth the effort. Took two days, hunter made each trip with a load. Helluva a good dude.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

I always had my LaCross ankle fits with me just in case. If anything just to make sure I can help unload the plane. They have saved me more than a few times, but I refuse to where them if I don't have to that's for sure. Always had a real good pair of gortex boots, or the extra tuffs as well.

so here's my take. everytime i wear my muck boots/extra tuffs i wish i had hip boots because the water is always an inch too deep. If i have hip boots its always an inch or two deeper than those...sooooo. this year i'm going to try a pair of cabelas breathable hunting waders and quit messing around going out of my way because the water is always a little too deep. As far as your dad having a size 15 maybe he needs to try on some of the 14's most waders run a little large anyways. if your using stocking feet they will stretch quite a bit anyhow....good luck. as far as the wiggys response....f em'.

like i have said in the past wear neo' s, make sure that they are big enough to put your arms inside, many people buy them to small an that makes them a pain. the rain off your jacket wont run down your boots. best conditions while hunting can and will go from 78 and sunny to 30 and snow anywhere in alaska. havin a little thicker barrier with the bush whack is something i like as well as i dont own a wheeler or river boat so i walk every length of the hunt.