Thread: Raft Trailer

Default Raft Trailer

I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of getting a new trailer for my 17' Achilles raft w/50 hp motor or repairing my old one. I have a flatbed double axle trailer right now that is pretty will matched for my raft, but the axles are shot and it will cost about $1,000 to replace them with good ones.

I am wondering if I could get a bunk style trailer for around $2,000 and have a whole new trailer instead? Additionally, has anyone had a bunk trailer with a motor this heavy? (250 lbs.) How did it work? Any other thoughts on bunk trailers or other ideas are appreciated.

The thing I don't like about my trailer now is that the motor sits at an angle on the flat trailer and I would like it if the boat was more elevated and the motor stood straight up. Maybe the angle of the motor doesn't matter, but it will calm my OCD.

I have emailed some local shops, but haven't heard back, so any recommendations on a shop would help too. Thanks for any and all help.

Lots of people use trailers with bunks for reasonably heavy boats with no problems, should be fine for an inflatable. King Saltwater trailers are a good buy and available around the state. I got one a the Gear Shed in Homer (now Redden Supply?) some years ago for less than I could get it in Soldotna.

I had a 17' Avon inflatable with a 55hp (207lbs) 2 stroke mounted on it, it was my first boat. I hauled it on a bunk trailer for years with no issues, I did use a transom saver with it. I suggest going to a bunk trailer.

i dont get why you want to have your engine verticle instead of raised into transport mode. with my 16' zod and a 25 suziki i would prefer a solid barrier under the hull for protection from road debris.

I agree with you sportfisher, but I think I could find something to protect the hull from road debris (like a transom saver, as mentioned). I just don't like it sitting on an angle constantly because I worry all the water never drains out of the cooling system properly and could cause corrosion problems down the road. Thanks for the input though, debris is definitely a factor with a bunk trailer.

Not going to say it can't happen, but 20 years of towing the various boats I own/ed I never had an issue with road debris causing damage, all on bunk trailers. Mud flaps are good things.

Well, if anyone is interested or is researching the thread in the future, I stuck with my old trailer and had Trailercraft in Anchorage outfit it with two new axles, all new rims and trailer/spare tires. They did a great job, short turnaround time and excellent customer service. I decided I do like having that solid barrier under my raft, whether or not it helps.....

Not knowing exactly what your trailer is I'd have to say that replacing 2 axles was a waste of money for such a light load. Might have been alot less money to just have 1 new axle put in the proper position for the load if that is all you use the trailer for.

Pondered it for a while and the load wasn't a factor but that other axle saved me when the bearing went bad last year. It was more expensive, but I figured I could also sell it down the road for ATV's or snow machines too.

Just goes to show you that you never know the whole story or what someone else is thinking. I'd probably agree with your rational as I always try to think ahead. I was blinded by the use that you stated in this case.

Might throw on some bearing buddies and grease them occasionally if the don't presently exist. Especially since your dunking the trailer in the water. Not saying your bearing failed from neglect but I know plenty of people that pay it no attention and then have to go through a similar event.

Thanks for the tip AKBighorn. I greased the old ones but no bearing buddies and being old they failed. Definitely got bearing buddies on now.