Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New gear this year?

Default New gear this year?

Curious if anybody has gotten any new rods or reels this year or other gear or are planning any purchases?

I think last year I pretty much completed upgrading my rods and reels and plunked down for set of donalson pots and a safe-t-puller. The only thing I can think of really needing is a sonar upgrade. I do need to get a guide replaced on one of my rods and will be upgrading the drag washers on a couple of reels.

I think what I really need to do is upgrade my snowblower so I can extract my boat from the clutches of winter before the 4th of July
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Plan on selling some of the larger Avet reels we own and replace them with Diawa Tekota 800's. Might add a pot puller to the Sea Sport. Other than that just need to make more 20 ounce bullet jigs when the snow melts and we are good to go.

I would like to pick up 1 more salmon rod and reel, and 1 more jigging/halibut rod and reel. Also would like to get at least 1 more downrigger and possibly a pot puller.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

For the boat... 2 more riggers, building 4 new lite action rigger rods for silvers, already have blanks to build a couple new jigging rods for ling/but fishing (guess they'll need reels too). For the river side, building 2 new float rods and had a buddy back east turn me a new Center pin reel that should be here soon. Got new set of waders as a present and had to buy new boots without felts soles, but my old ones were shot anyway.

So far all I have bought is a bunch of new molds for making Halibut/rockfish jigs.
    The 7 and 9oz flutter jigs as well as the ultra minnow in 5-6-8oz a 12 oz spire point to go with the 16 and 20oz I have and a 24oz bullet head jig.
    I also bought some more powder paint and 3d eyes the hooks and wires for these jigs etc.etc.
    I don't really NEED any other gear right now other than maybe a couple more items to complete my new jigs like some skirts and boneyard grubs.
    I had my reels serviced at Tags last year so they should be good to go.
    Fortunately my Dad lets me keep my boat in his shop and it is plowed out. I just need to make sure he has an ample supply of halibut. This year he needs a little more than I gave him last year with all the relatives visiting.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    For the boat... 2 more riggers, building 4 new lite action rigger rods for silvers, already have blanks to build a couple new jigging rods for ling/but fishing (guess they'll need reels too). For the river side, building 2 new float rods and had a buddy back east turn me a new Center pin reel that should be here soon. Got new set of waders as a present and had to buy new boots without felts soles, but my old ones were shot anyway.
    Which blanks are you using for building your jigging rods?

I'd have to look as I haven't used these yet. I got a couple from Mudhole and one from Dorber. They feel pretty good so far but I have yet to finish em.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Right on. I've been looking at blanks to build a jigging rod as well, but just havent found the one I want....yet.

I debated building a couple of custom jigging rods, but then when I added up the cost of the blank, guides, reel seat and grip I'd pretty much paid for a shimano trevala.

That said, the 250 grm power spell blanks look pretty impressive, and I'm just foolish enough to have to try a different jigging rod that I'll probably build one in the next year or two. And I like the idea of an acid wrap, though I really haven't had the torque problem with the top mounted guides on a rod set up for a conventional reel.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

I bought the wife an electric reel during the boat show. Now I'm looking at getting an Okuma Cedros rod for it. I need a couple new jigging/trolling reels/rods too. Looking prety hard at the Shimano Charter Special 2000. Anyone have the good, bad and ugly about these?
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

new honda 90's... the old ones are gonna go!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I've had a pair of chater special 1000's for 2 or 3 seasons now, nice little reels when spooled with 30-50# braid and wonderful for coho and rock fish. I did replace the factory canvas drag washers with carbon drag washers, definately a smoother drag and a fairly simple low cost upgrade. Last season I got a 3 avet sx reels, 2 live on salmon rods, one a shimano travala xh jigging rod for my wife. Personally I prefer the sx to the charter special, but I have yet to teach my wife and kids how to use your thumb to keep the line from piling up in the middle of the reel on a conventional reel. So in that aspect, level wind is the way to go, and saving a couple bucks doesn't hurt.

Honestly when using braid I don't see why you'd want to go with a 2000 cs reel. You can easily fit 300 yds of 50# braid on the 1000, and the 1000 has plenty of drag. I don't think the cs 2000 has more drag than the 1000, so the only reason to go with a 2000 is if you use mono. I'm running braid on all my saltwater rods and don't see myself switching back.

I've been moving to lighter smaller reels and feel that is the best direction to head when you can find one with sufficient drag. I'm also a huge fan of lever drags as I can pre-set the drag and don't have to worry about somebody fiddling with the star drag and setting it too high or too low.

There are ways to increase the drag on the shimano charter specials and tld's, but IMHO with the graphite frames and stock gearing you are better off sticking with the stock drag washers. If you want more drag in a small reel be ready to plunk down for an aluminum framed reel.

Just bought a boat...

Tons of new gear in the future. Pot puller, crab and shrimp pots, Shimano TLD 25's, rebuilding some Penn 109's and 209's, landing net, stero and speakers (have to have my music underway), and the list goes on.

B.O.A.T. Break Out Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I've had a pair of chater special 1000's for 2 or 3 seasons now, nice little reels when spooled with 30-50# braid and wonderful for coho and rock fish. I did replace the factory canvas drag washers with carbon drag washers, definately a smoother drag and a fairly simple low cost upgrade. Last season I got a 3 avet sx reels, 2 live on salmon rods, one a shimano travala xh jigging rod for my wife. Personally I prefer the sx to the charter special, but I have yet to teach my wife and kids how to use your thumb to keep the line from piling up in the middle of the reel on a conventional reel. So in that aspect, level wind is the way to go, and saving a couple bucks doesn't hurt.

Honestly when using braid I don't see why you'd want to go with a 2000 cs reel. You can easily fit 300 yds of 50# braid on the 1000, and the 1000 has plenty of drag. I don't think the cs 2000 has more drag than the 1000, so the only reason to go with a 2000 is if you use mono. I'm running braid on all my saltwater rods and don't see myself switching back.

I've been moving to lighter smaller reels and feel that is the best direction to head when you can find one with sufficient drag. I'm also a huge fan of lever drags as I can pre-set the drag and don't have to worry about somebody fiddling with the star drag and setting it too high or too low.

There are ways to increase the drag on the shimano charter specials and tld's, but IMHO with the graphite frames and stock gearing you are better off sticking with the stock drag washers. If you want more drag in a small reel be ready to plunk down for an aluminum framed reel.

Thanks for the info. Thats exactly what i was looking for. Now that you mention it, the 1000 would be better. I checked one out at B&J's today before work. Nice looking reel too. I also plan on putting braid on it too.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I went a bit nuts on tackle and rods/reels last sumeer so I am concentrating on fine tuning the boat this spring. I have picked up all the parts and it`s just a little here and there to get everything done that I wanted to do last year. The only real major component will be a new pot puller...got it last year but didn`t install it completely (not wired). I have a 6` hole in the yard and the boat in the driveway now...removed about 300#s of ice and have started the projects...may even hit the shrimp opener.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Christmas present was a Furuno FCV585 depthsounder, now looking to upgrade the B744 ducer I have with the B260. Also got a pyrometer and turbo boost gauge and loaded up on some decent fishing gear at Pro Fish'n Sea's garage sale last fall like an Avet 2 speed reel and halibut rods.

I'm gonna need a front end loader to get my boat out of the snow berm around my boat in Seward!

I also bought 340lbs of salt to try and break the ice out of the driveway so I could ge tthe boat to a hangar on base. All the salt did was melt through and create a river of water under the ice. Need more warm sun!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    Christmas present was a Furuno FCV585 depthsounder, now looking to upgrade the B744 ducer I have with the B260. Also got a pyrometer and turbo boost gauge and loaded up on some decent fishing gear at Pro Fish'n Sea's garage sale last fall like an Avet 2 speed reel and halibut rods.

I'm gonna need a front end loader to get my boat out of the snow berm around my boat in Seward!
    How'd you get in so good with the old guy in the red suit? One of these days I'll be upgrading to a 585 or 620 in my boat, but looks like I'll have shell out myself

Replaced all electronics. New Simrad NSO system with structure scan and a new chirp transducer. Look out salmon!!

With the price of fuel I am investing in bigger oars!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast