Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: German Wire Hair

Default German Wire Hair

I'm thinking about getting a German Wire Hair in the near future for an all around hunting dog/family pet and just wondering if anyone has any expierence with these dogs and what you think of them. I know there are lots of great all around hunting breeds out there but I'm somewhat partial to the German breeds because my wife is German and I hunt and have hunting buddys in Germany. The Wire Hair sounds like it will fit perfect with my family and just seems like it will fit well with the diverse hunting situations I tend to find myself in.

Thanks, Mike

Fine bird dogs, Mike! Quite versatile, tough, cool looking, fun dogs. If this is your first pointing dog you should probably be asking yourself if you are up to training it yourself, or if you should seek the help of a pro trainer? This is a great adventure you are embarking upon and it will change your life in so many great ways. Nothing like bird hunting over a good pointing dog! Best of luck to you and check back here often to let us know how your search concluded.

Jim

I had one who was a little spook and fear biter. Be careful what you buy. Look carefully at the ***** and if the male is on the premises check him out too. No sense making a mistake that will last 10 12 years. Even with her fearfulness she had a sense of humor and was very devoted to me.

When she got old and arthritic, I bought my first lab puppy. I have had labs now for over 20 years.

Go with a Drahthaar, better chance of getting good hunting instincts. Very easy to train...the Germans do a better job with breeding than the AKC ever will...

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Go with a Drahthaar, better chance of getting good hunting instincts. Very easy to train...the Germans do a better job with breeding than the AKC ever will...
    Thant's what I've been hearing. I'm certainly going to look into it but I wonder what the cost of such a dog is since there's so much training/certification required.

Jim,
    This will be my first pointer. In fact, this will be my first hunting dog of any kind other than beagles
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Fine bird dogs, Mike! Quite versatile, tough, cool looking, fun dogs. If this is your first pointing dog you should probably be asking yourself if you are up to training it yourself, or if you should seek the help of a pro trainer? This is a great adventure you are embarking upon and it will change your life in so many great ways. Nothing like bird hunting over a good pointing dog! Best of luck to you and check back here often to let us know how your search concluded.

Jim

http://www.vdd-gna.org/ Baer19d see the link on the left? Check it out. I've had three German wire-haired pointers and one Drathaar(12years old), while you can certainly find a good hunting GWP... I had two good and one bad...the odds of getting a strong hunter through the vdd-gna is vastly improved. Go to the breeders link and check out the available pups for this spring...getting a pup that is bred to retain the good hunting characteristics, means you work less in training and get to enjoy more hunting....

snowstash.jpgI just got a new Drat female from Minnesota. Looks like she will be a keeper. Smart as a whip, somewhat independant. Has a great nose and loves birds. I went with the DRat because of the hunting lines on breeding. Drats can't be bred unless they show top notch hunting ability and cooperation with the hunter. Looking forward to the adventure. Duckdon

Supporting Member broncoformudv's Avatar

I have owned two, the first was a natural and one hell of a great dog overall the second one is not a hunter but gets along great with my family and enjoys the outdoors. The next one will be from a VDD member.

They are great dogs and will hunt till they drop. The wire coat helps them in the cold and they are great swimmers as well. The one thing I will say is they have a lot of energy when pups which last till around the age of 5 years old then they calm down a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by baer19d View Post
    Thant's what I've been hearing. I'm certainly going to look into it but I wonder what the cost of such a dog is since there's so much training/certification required.
    Can't say for all DD pups out there but look to spend $1200 to $1500 for a quality Drathaar pup. Look at test scores of the parents and the over all line test scores. I got my pup out of the Ritterberg Kennels in Woodbury Minnesota. Dan has dogs that place every year, very well in nose and track and score very well in all events. He runs in the US and Germany so he is up against the top of the top DD's in the world. I think he is usually sold out way in advance. Expensive, ya, worth it, ya, in my opinon. I waited over a year for my girl but I could not be more pleased. Here is my pup Josey doing a 450' blood track at 12 weeks old. At 14 weeks is great with gun fire, retrieves huge live tame ducks and never backs down from an adventure. Very confident and loves to explore. She's got da nose for it. Duckdon josey19.jpg

Both breed are fine choices.
    I have known and hunted over several wire haired pointers and drahthaars...they were all fine hunters.

The key to any breed is the quality of the breeding. There is some degree of training involved in all breeds, depending on your expectations of the dog.

Whatever breed you choose, good luck. Let us know and share pictures. You will likely never hunt birds without a dog again.

Well I looked into the Deutscher Drathaar and they seem like great dogs but I'm not sure if I should go this route. This will be my first gun dog and I don't know if I'm ready to spend that kind of money on my first dog. I should be able to expect reasonable resualts from a German wire hair breeder who is not part of the VDD right? I mean, if he is reputable and breeds specificaly for hunting than he dogs should most likely be good just without all the certification.

Supporting Member broncoformudv's Avatar

You never know what you are going to get when you buy a dog regardless of the breeder or strain it came from just like people there are lemons.

Hi,
    I own and breed GWPs for hunting but also show as well (I know blasphemy) my thought is that the dog needs to be sound to perform his/her job.

As long as you buy from a breeder who also hunts their dogs (most GWP people Do) you should be ok you have a good chance of getting a birdy and hardworking pup. Be specific when talking to a breeder about what you want and be willing to wait.

GWPs are supposed to be aloof but not fearful so a lot of socialization is needed or the aloof will turn into fearful. Very high energy dogs they need plenty of exercise year round.

If you have specific ? Pm me

One of the best dogs I have ever owned! Infact my GWP is the best dog I have owned to date.

I got my drath from Germany about three years ago. She is a great dog both hunting and as a pet. They are naturally very loving and develop strong connections with the family unit but they are breed to hunt. The Germans are very meticulous with breeding and training, which was why I was drawn to breeders in Germany. There are also several fine breeders here in the states. PM me if you have any questions.
    "What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

If any of you are intrested in the Drathaar line of dogs feel free to call me. I ain't no expert and I ain't no breeder. Nothing to sell, just really like my only Drathaar. Come on out to Peters Creek and meet "Josey" and see what you think. She is 5 months old now, full of the devil but a really good pup. Hard hunter, independant and easy in the house. I am working on her basic training, starting remote sit and down and water work. Also doing some blood track work and general boat and hunting behavior skills. She's the real deal in my opinion. I would love to hook up with outher "Ugly Dog" owners and any other hunting dog owners that are serious about owning and hunting any breed of "good meat dogs" that are well trained......or at least heading that way with that frame of mind.

FYI: There is a NAVHDA training weekend June 8-10 in Cantwell. I will be there with Josey and if I was a guy wanting to have a look at a bunch of versatile dogs all in one place I would make the trip and have a look.

Hey Live2huntAK, lets get together soon and campare notes and dogs. Would love it. So few DD owners in Alaska. Don

Im a German Dog lover. I have owned 2 GSPs in AK, and then 3 years ago I took on a German Wired-Haired Pointing Griffon. No going back now. This is the perfect bird dog for Alaska. Many call them the "Four wheel drive dog". They do it all. And have a great personality too.
    Here he is pointing ducks yesterday:

Sorry about the poor quality, it took it with my iphone.

And here he is at 2 years old calm enough to take a 4 hour ride is a helicopter:

I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Love our GWPs ~ awesome in the field, eager to train you...here they are shrimping. White dog's from Georgia ~ Gray from Montana.
    Hair can be troublesome in briars and right now the cottonwood's sticking to their feet. Just ran them for 20 minutes and spent a half hour pulling sticky seed pods from them. White dog's hide not too thick ~ I have to watch her during duck season 'cause she'll hunt until hypothermic. I'd never let her get that way but something to be aware of. Had a great time grouse hunting but then the snow got way too deep...just seems to be not enough fall [big game season's short and overlaps birds] for them to get the most from life here in Alaska. I used NAVHD's green book for training [I was in the Air Force stationed in Idaho and had access to plenty of birds] and they are very obedient.
    Whittier April 27-29 with J~Me 078.jpgWhittier April 27-29 with J~Me 082.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast