Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 bears out today

Default 5 bears out today

On the way back from a flight this morning, saw a sow grizz with 4 yearlings on a kill near the mouth of the Gulkana River.

Anyone started planning spring bear hunts yet?
    Hunt with your kids, not for your kids

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by politicalbio View Post
    On the way back from a flight this morning, saw a sow grizz with 4 yearlings on a kill near the mouth of the Gulkana River.
    Good Lord! Four cubs!

Now they're multiplying like rabbits!

Default on the kenai pen.

there are a few out too according to the daily news last week.

My gosh! Bio, how many moose and caribou can a family of five grizzlies eat in a years time? Any idea? Any stats on that? With a sow having a litter numbering four, what does that indicate to a biologist? Seems as though this is pretty extaordinary and is it indicative of a TOO healthy grizzly population?

Default Lordy, lordy

So now all sows are having 4 cubs that eat meat right out of the den? Geez, why don't we put all the moose and bou in a giant electrified fenced area so the griz won't have any of YOUR game animals. Humans are so frixking arrogant. I have taken bear, for eating, and taken my share of moose, too, but this is ridiculous. How did all the ungulates survive before humans took over the game management business?

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    With a sow having a litter numbering four, what does that indicate to a biologist?
    Perhaps bio can correct me on this, but I would assume that not all 4 would survive. Typically with litter sizes any more than 2 there will be at least one cub that doesn't make it. The "runt of the litter", for lack of a better term, will typically be outcompeted for food by the other cubs and will slowly become too weak to survive. Still, 4 is an impressive number. Wow.

-Brian

Default Boars

At least two will be fresh meat for a big boar that is waking up in the area!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Perhaps bio can correct me on this, but I would assume that not all 4 would survive. Typically with litter sizes any more than 2 there will be at least one cub that doesn't make it. The "runt of the litter", for lack of a better term, will typically be outcompeted for food by the other cubs and will slowly become too weak to survive. Still, 4 is an impressive number. Wow.

-Brian
    Interested to learn more of the mortality rate, I would think they would be more suseptable to starvation or predation from a boar, in their first year, but since these are yearlings, I would assume their chances of making it through adulthood would pretty much be guaranteed.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by politicalbio View Post

Anyone started planning spring bear hunts yet?
    We flew over that area Tuesday afternoon and then back around Mount Susitna and saw no bear sign. That would have been cool to see. I have the itch!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

For a female to have 4 cubs, it means one thing, that she was in very good physical condition when she went in to her den prior to having cubs. This means that resources (food) were abundant that year or that she was particularly adept at getting food. Grizzly cub mortality in the first year would be 60-70%, and overall 40-70% but they only reproduce once every 3-5 years and the population growth curve is almost flat. The point is that you don't have to panic, grizzly populations just can't explode in the short term.

Incidentally, for some species, unusually large litter size across the poulation may mean that the population is not near carrying capacity and resources are abundant. One cause of this can be over hunting. Odlly, or not, some studies suggest that Grizzly cub survival is higher in hunted areas than unhunted. Likely as a result of a less dense population and less infanticide than in the unhunted areas. The point here is that wildlife ecology is much more complicated than it at first appears. and as mauser boy said, they managed for thousands of years before we came along.

I had seen on some Discovery or National Geographic-type show a few years back where some sows will "adopt" orphaned cubs sometimes. They showed footage of a sow with 6 cubs in tow. I don't know how true it is, but that might be a logical explanation for one sow with 4 cubs? Anyone else hear of this?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    ....Humans are so frixking arrogant.
    Are you human? Or are you a bear?

How did all the ungulates survive before humans took over the game management business?
    By enduring the cycles like everything else.

Are you advocating an end to human hunting so the cycles can continue without human interference?

Quote Originally Posted by 35gibber View Post
    For a female to have 4 cubs, it means one thing, that she was in very good physical condition when she went in to her den prior to having cubs. This means that resources (food) were abundant that year or that she was particularly adept at getting food. Grizzly cub mortality in the first year would be 60-70%, and overall 40-70% but they only reproduce once every 3-5 years and the population growth curve is almost flat. The point is that you don't have to panic, grizzly populations just can't explode in the short term.
    I know blackies mortality rate for cubs is 38% in the first year and somthin' like 18% the 2nd. Interesting that Grizz cubs have that much higher of a mortality rate.

Jake

Guys, bears are OMNIVORES. They don't necessarily NEED moose, bou, deer, etc. to survive.
    4 cubs does suggest healthy bears. It does NOT necessarily suggest there are plenty of ungulates to feed the bears. For those of you that are forgetful, bears, especially griz, eat alot of FISH. Fall fish runs can put a pregnant sow into her den in VERY healthy condition.
    When bears reappear in the spring, fish are generally not a viable food source. That is often the time that their presence is detrimental to ungulate numbers.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Cz in Az correction

"I know blackies mortality rate for cubs is 38% in the first year and somthin' like 18% the 2nd. Interesting that Grizz cubs have that much higher of a mortality rate."

oops, I apologise as I hit send I realised Where i typed mortality, it should say Survivorship. Survivorship is 60-70% thus mortality is 30-40%. But this is just a typical number . One study in Scandanavia recorded Survivorship of 90+%. others record less. So much depends on desities and access to resources it is too complicated to cover in a post. Remember females often don't reproduce until they are 6 years old so they have to reach that milestone before they can put back in to the population.

poked around up in the horse pasture on tuesday. lots of snow, and no bear sign. hope they are out soon, i am getting an itchy trigger finger!

Russian River bears are already active. As well as a brownie off Atkins road in Sterling on the Peninsula.

Default Bears, bares

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Are you human? Or are you a bear?

By enduring the cycles like everything else.

Are you advocating an end to human hunting so the cycles can continue without human interference?
    Maybe a little of both. My years homesteading taught me a few things.
    If the animals can endure the cycles, why can't we? Besides, you were missing my point. Advocate no hunting? I said I have hunted, for food and plan on a spring bear hunt this year. It's just some of the attitudes and ignorance I don't care for. I love Alaska, and I see it being nibbled away more each year. Things that are going on seem to be changing the whole fabric of the place.The whole thing about bears, predators, seems so Lower 48 oriented. Enough from me.

What I find amazing is how few responses on a thread like this one before the bio-technictions start changing the discussion to their personal politically correct views and critisizem. The chest thumpers might want to be a little careful as not to hurt themselves. There is need for a "Grumps" thread..

Back to the original topic.

Woohoo!! Already been out last weekend. No sign yet, but this weekend is looking good. Thanks for the heads up Bio. If ya got anymore info you know where to PM me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast