Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear meat for dinner.

Default Bear meat for dinner.

Just curious if anyone out there does anything with the meat from their trophy grizzly or brown. I'm hoping to harvest a trophy this fall and I want to use as much of the meat as possible. Anyone have any suggestions? Recipes?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

grind it.. fennal and corriander does well with fall bears, itialin sausage, brats, hot links...there pretty good here in the interior.. i dont know many who eat themhe fall down south
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

For browns its best if real late in the fall with lots of berries in them,spring they are ok.If not sure at least take the backstrap and give it a try.Like Vince said it make good sausage
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Brown Bears in Spring and Black Bears in August of a Fish free Blueberry slather'd Mountainside, and few meats are finer......

Treat like wild Pork, cook well, whatever you do
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Will you be hunting on Kodiak? Won't most of those bears be eating fish in the fall? Your nose will tell you if it is fit to eat!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

If they haven't been eating fish, they're good eating. I like to smoke the hams, make corned bear roasts, marinate backstraps, grind it into burger or sausage, and can the stew meat. Its all good.

Just had bear stew for dinner last night and will have the leftovers tonight.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Walk-in has given some good ideas. One of the guys that we hunt with got a griz off the Denali a couple years a go. He corned some of it, did some sauage, cut of some and canned it for stew meat and ground some. As long as the bears are NOT feeding on fish, they can be good eating and I see no reason to waste good meat. We are down to the last of ground black bear meat so will be looking forward to some good bear hunting this next season.

On two occasions we cookd up brown bear meat for gee-wizz purposes. So I have eaten at least eight fork-fulls of that meat. <grin>
    It ain't "the other white meat". It don't taste like chicken. And I found it to be not nearly as good as berry fed fall black bear meat.

Following your brown/grizz bear meal, please report back to the forum and briefly describe your dining experience.

Is a fish fed brown worth doing anything with?

I drew a tag for a fall brown in Kodiak. Oct. 25th-Nov 30th...I'm thinking even if it stinks to high heaven of fish that I"d still ground some for a lifetime supply of sausage.

yeah, cook it on a cedar board at 300 degrees for about 3 hours...take off heat...remove bear meat...eat the board!

LOL, out

what you do is take some of the fishy bear and some leather off your boots,fry them up in some butter and garlic,when cooked just right toss the bear to your dog(well he probably wont eat it either)and eat the leather you will be better off. Alaska true you are the man..8 forks,I have tried to eat bb on the peninsula and could not even get past one fork...

I have heard varied results on fish eating brownie when made into sausage so you never know might be good .I have had less then perfect blackie taste great when made into sausage...

Larry you beat me to it....lol
    Last edited by Bear; 03-21-2012 at 17:52. Reason: content

We ate the backstraps off a spring kodiak brown bear tasted ok marinated in italian salad dressing and barbequed. It was a little tough but not bad.

Twice I've cooked up fall grizzly berry bear backstraps! Salt, pepper, a little garlic powder and it was great. Even my 14 year old daughter loved it. Salmon fed bear meat? It might be good for something but I'll be darned if I know for what.

Quote Originally Posted by KLNhunter View Post
    ..I'm thinking even if it stinks to high heaven of fish that I"d still ground some for a lifetime supply of sausage.
    Your absolutely right about life time supply! No one will eat it so it will last a lifetime.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

we ran into some locals up river a couple years ago and they scolded us for not saving the foot pads....according to them you fry up the foot pads and eat the fat in them and they're delicious. i'll take their word for it.

I eat the interior and northern bears, but nothing on the coast. The mere smell is enough to keep me away. They are only good for making coats and blankets. In SE, we couldn't even cook it good enough for dogs to try it.

Now that I live in berry heaven, wow, it's good meat.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

You wouldn't want to eat the coastal bears. Even the old Aleuts out here tell me they wouldn't eat them unless they were starving.
    Now what ?

Having processed a few brownies over the years at some of the local game shops I used to work at, I have to say that with the "fishy" bears there is not enough fennel in the state that can mask that aroma. We always cooked a sample for the customer to try and it almost ran us out of the building most times. I remember two that almost lost their lunch from 1 bite. Most after smelling it cooking declined to try it.
    Like one said "If I wanted to make fish sausage, I'd use fish"
    Let the fishy ones lay.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    On two occasions we cookd up brown bear meat for gee-wizz purposes. So I have eaten at least eight fork-fulls of that meat. <grin>
    It ain't "the other white meat". It don't taste like chicken. And I found it to be not nearly as good as berry fed fall black bear meat.

Following your brown/grizz bear meal, please report back to the forum and briefly describe your dining experience.

Tried reppin ya but i cant right now the computer god tells me...bummer. Good post dennis...ive got exactly seven less forkfulls brnbear eating experience... and that was one forkfull too much. Ill eat black bear...but i dont bearhunt for the freezer, theres just lots better game to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post
    Tried reppin ya but i cant right now the computer god tells me...bummer. Good post dennis...ive got exactly seven less forkfulls brnbear eating experience... and that was one forkfull too much. Ill eat black bear...but i dont bearhunt for the freezer, theres just lots better game to eat.
    I'd listen to ninefoot and the others. Personally, I think I'd rather walk the beaches after the hooligan spawn and pick up the dead ones, grind them up and eat them, at least you'de have a little salty flavor in it....
    Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast