Thread: painting the bottom..

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default painting the bottom..

picked up and older river jon the other day. she a little dinged and dented, has one leaky rivit, nothing i cant fix. but what are the thoughts on bottom pai nt on the aluminum skiffs?
    will regular bottom paint take and hold? is another type required?.. might need some flames on it too.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

there is a product called flex steel or steel flex you can order it online best stuff ever for boat bottoms it is like a bed liner but not as heavy when dry wont scratch or peel AND it will seal your leaky rivit. Comes in just about any color you want.

STEELFLEX SUPER SLICK EPOXY COATING #9X-2000 For airboats. Super slick surface is produced in one operation. Not necessary to spray an additional topcoat. Contains Teflon plus additional friction red additives.

http://www.fascoepoxies.com/products.html

You can order it from there and it rolls on nice and easy.

Quick slick , Frog spit,GatorGlide

http://www.fastduckmotors.com/quick-slick/

Airboats R us in eagle river puts frog spit on his airboats and I think he sells it. Shoot just stop by Skips he's in fairbanks and have him put Teflon on it
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    there is a product called flex steel or steel flex you can order it online best stuff ever for boat bottoms it is like a bed liner but not as heavy when dry wont scratch or peel AND it will seal your leaky rivit. Comes in just about any color you want.

STEELFLEX SUPER SLICK EPOXY COATING #9X-2000 For airboats. Super slick surface is produced in one operation. Not necessary to spray an additional topcoat. Contains Teflon plus additional friction red additives.

http://www.fascoepoxies.com/products.html

You can order it from there and it rolls on nice and easy.
    $99.00 gallon..does 120 sq ft.. shipping is UPS, she would not give me a price quote on shipping nor will they ship USPS..is not haz mat
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Last time I ordered it was in 2007 for my Jon and I want to say shipping was around 22 bucks also that gallon will cover a lot on a Jon you should be able to go all the way up the sides and possibly the inside floor.

http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11977

Heress 23 pages on the stuff including the best ways to apply it. If you haven't been on that site beware its addicting lol.

I would be careful putting copper based bottom paint on an aluminum boat with out first putting a good epoxy barrier. You can set up a serious electrolysis problem.

i did the inside with a roll on bed liner.. to seal all the rivits and make it traction friendly. a gallon went a LONG way.. and still have some left. being shes a classic.. ( 1969) i did a good look over, filled it full of water, and only had one leaky rivit.. nothing to worry about.. it sealed up good. shop and office still smell like curring bed liner though.. she's NOT realllll happy about that part.. SO i have to wait till warm weather strikes for bottom paints
    Last time I ordered it was in 2007 for my Jon and I want to say shipping was around 22 bucks also that gallon will cover a lot on a Jon you should be able to go all the way up the sides and possibly the inside floor.

meet on face book here

You definitely have to do it outside and use a mask that stuff is harsh! Even better if there is a breeze of you set up a fan because it will linger around.

http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11977

Heress 23 pages on the stuff including the best ways to apply it. If you haven't been on that site beware its addicting lol.
    no Kidding! thanks for the link those guys really like the stuff

meet on face book here