Thread: Dog Sitter

Default Dog Sitter

I got news today that I my have to leave the state several days 20-25 or so for work. This has me quite bummed as my little pup is doing so well and I was looking forward to springing her forward with her next level of training.

My question is -- is there anyone willing to take a young 5 month pup in for a while and continue her training or at least hold her at this point till I get back OR does anyone know where I could kennel her and she would still receive training. She is in full force right now and I really do not want to lose momentum.

I think Baron is in Texas?????

Help please any ideas would be helpful.

Forgot to mention that if you are wondering where she is at in training I posted that on Progress of a Dog thread.

Where are you located?
    What date are you planning on leaving?
    Is this a one time event, or will this repeat? If repeat, how often, monthly?
    A little more info might help us determine who can help, or how.
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Where are you located?
    What date are you planning on leaving?
    Is this a one time event, or will this repeat? If repeat, how often, monthly?
    A little more info might help us determine who can help, or how.
    ARR
    Funny how when you know all the answers you forget to post the really necessary stuff -- sorry about that.

I am located in Eagle River
    Leave the middle of April
    will be back the first week of May
    This should not be a repeat occurance at least for this many days. The puppy can stay with my kids but the perfect storm is that both my wife and I are going to be gone at the same time so we are having grandpa come up and watch the the teenagers. Although they can be depended on to watch and feed the pup they have never had that much interest in her and definately not interested in training dogs (sad I know). I really wanted her to at least hold her ground while I am gone . I not real sure what might be best heck maybe I am over reacting and the break in training would not be any big deal -- thoughts on this??? Just wanted to put it out there. Thanks for the reply

NDH,

You might try contacting the Midnight Sun Gun Dog Association (http://msgda.org/) or the Alaska Working Retriever Club (http://www.alaskaworkingretrieverclub.com/) or Retriever Club of Alaska (http://www.retrieverclubofalaska.com/). They might be willing to send a notice to their email lists to see if someone can help you out. I'm pretty sure Baron is still in Texas.

Karen

How is your puppy around other dogs? I have a 2 1/2 year old chocolate lab Nitro who we train ourselves and I currently have him in the AKC Retriever training for trials. I have been working with Nitro at least every other day and I try to everyday if possible since I got him back into the training classes. I always get him out to exercise at least 3-6 miles besides the training b/c he is a very energetic dog.

I work full time but depending on how house trained the puppy is- I may be able to help you out. I do have the ability to come home at lunch if I need to so it is possible. Especially if he gets along with other dogs. Email me and we can see if this works out. I live close to Eagle River. My dog loves other dogs, especially puppies so he would love the entertainment and I could always work on her training for you while you are gone. It would actually be good practice for me again for when we get another puppy. Do you kennel her during the day as well as night? Also is she up to date on her shots and Kennel Cough? That one is going around (Kennel Cough) so I had my dog given the shots since he is in these classes and around other dogs.

My husband is on these forums a lot “Bnknwnto” and I just joined today under my own profile if you are wondering b/c of the join date as today.

NDH,

I forgot that I cannot send or receive IM messages yet since I do not have enough postings. You can either post to the thread if you still need a dog sitter, email me at work at lori@maritaseaandski.com, or IM my husband with profile bnkwnto.

Lori

Default an idea

You might also inquire of Howl-a-Day Inn in Wasilla, a nice boarding and retriever training facility in Wasilla operated by Trish Kolegar-Redifer. The number is 376-5643.

Thanks to all for the help and to Flyfishgirl for the offer to assist BUT I do not think I will be needing to board after all -- work has changed and for now looks like I will not be going--YEA -- more time for me and the dogs to train.

Thanks again