Thread: 2003 Mountain Max Ratcheting!!! HELP!!

Default 2003 Mountain Max Ratcheting!!! HELP!!

I was out riding and had only been riding for maybe 10 mins when the track started ratcheting real bad at any speed over 10mph! I thought maybe the hyfax were hot as the trail had been mostly moguls with not much loose snow. Well after riding the side of the trail and going through some powder I finally let the machine sit for a few mins, then fired it up again, but to no avail.

So any ideas I came home and tighten the track way up but still seem to have the problem. What could be causing this?

If the track tension is correct, then your drivers are worn out.
    Boondocking & Bowls of Deep Fresh Powder !
    2002 RMK 700 144"
    2010 Summit 600 Etec 146"
    Weekends and Holidays Rule Mondays Usually SUCK

Another thing that sounds like ratcheting is a drive chain that is too loose and jumping over the gears. Pull the chaincase cover off and inspect for damage.

I can tell it's ratcheting just by the feel of it. You can feel the track hitting when accelerating.

Ratcheting and track hitting the tunnel are two different things. Ratcheting occurs when the drivers slip by the lugs they drive on inside the track. If the track is tight, check your owner's manual for correct adjustment, then you are going to have to look elsewhere. How much ice was up inside the tunnel?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Front arm in the rear suspension broken/missing bolts and not maintaining track tension?
    Drive axle spinning in the sprockets?

A little better description would help us help you.

As from the previous posts, I have had a track ratchet, and it is a violent event, at least to me. The track really has to climb up about 3/4 of an inch from its usual position to do it.

Once you go through the machine, if you really think it is ratcheting, you can get the no-slip drive sprockets from Wahl Brothers Racing. Ran these on my 99 Polaris xcr-800 and they work like a charm.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Driveshaft bearings went out and blew the bearings out the chain casing sidewall. drained all the oil out as well as ruined the oil seal, bearings, and chain casing.