Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whittier Winter Kings

Default Whittier Winter Kings

I have heard that there are guys fishing winter kings out of whittier, anyone have any info on this? locations, depths, or time of year... thanks in advance.

How far are you willing to go? They are there, but it is a run to get into them consistently from what I have heard.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I thought there was a terminall run of them to the harbor in whittier? I dont think this early though.

I just looked up the stocking records. The harbor was last stocked in 2003 so that pretty much answers that question

the info is wrong whittier stocked both silvers and kings for the last 3 years I book through mj charters owner jimmy and mary
    jimmy has been part of the stocking crew info is direct from them you can call to get more info from them. Kings should be in this year
    mid summer good luck

ADF&G stocked these kings:
    Jun 08, 2010 Whittier Chinook Salmon 108,881 9.4 Diploid
    Jun 10, 2011 Whittier Chinook Salmon 100,194 9.8 Diploid

They have not stocked any coho for many years. If coho are being stocked, then it's coordinated with PWSAC hatchery.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Thanks, FishGod.

I was on ADFG's website this last weekend looking for those stocking updates for Anchorage area lakes and couldn't find them with the site's redesign. Can you post the link?

Hey Fish, I'm suprised you could find any certain info with the new design. I had an area Bio supervisor and myself looking for certain data a number of months ago and he couldn't find it either. Even though he had signed off on said data. Go figure... a new design or a new way of stashing info, you tell me.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

So, do these fish stay out for years or come back the following year since it's a terminal run?

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    ADF&G stocked these kings:
    Jun 08, 2010 Whittier Chinook Salmon 108,881 9.4 Diploid
    Jun 10, 2011 Whittier Chinook Salmon 100,194 9.8 Diploid

They have not stocked any coho for many years. If coho are being stocked, then it's coordinated with PWSAC hatchery.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Thanks, FishGod.

I was on ADFG's website this last weekend looking for those stocking updates for Anchorage area lakes and couldn't find them with the site's redesign. Can you post the link?

The only lakes in Anchorage that have been stocked since November are Jewel, Sand, and Campbell Point.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...iesSearch.main

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    So, do these fish stay out for years or come back the following year since it's a terminal run?
    Just like any stock of chinook salmon, some stay out for 1 yr, 2 yr, 3 yr, or 4 yrs. Terminal run or not, they will stay out and feed for 1-4 years and return when their bodies tell them to.

Copy all ~ thanks for the response...

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Just like any stock of chinook salmon, some stay out for 1 yr, 2 yr, 3 yr, or 4 yrs. Terminal run or not, they will stay out and feed for 1-4 years and return when their bodies tell them to.

Default Winter Kings

The winter kings are few and far between, Whittier does not stock kings only silvers. You can get a few kings but you really have to work at it. They do not come easy, not like the silvers in the fall that are plentiful unless storms and sea lions chase them off the silvers are easy pickings.

Quote Originally Posted by tjb View Post
    The winter kings are few and far between, Whittier does not stock kings only silvers. You can get a few kings but you really have to work at it. They do not come easy, not like the silvers in the fall that are plentiful unless storms and sea lions chase them off the silvers are easy pickings.
    I have never heard of winter kings out of Whittier. And you wouldn't find stocked kings hanging around in the area during "winter" months anyway. They go elsewhere to feed.

If you really want to fish for winter kings, Seward has some to be had, and Homer is well known for them. Like I've said before, I moved to Homer because there are "feeder (or "winter") kings in K-Bay 365 days a year. This is one (of two---I released the first one) I caught today off the Bluffs:
    IMG_4066.jpg
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Here is my favorite coho helping hand for PWS. http://pwsac.com/about/hatcheries/wa...berg-hatchery/
    I'm waiting for those 2010 Chinook!!
    The Coho numbers are near the bottom.

Got two 17# feeders at the mouth of the inlet we were shrimping in about three years ago, but that was in July and they appeared to be running with some chums that were staging in that area. I don't bother wetting a line while shrimping unless some compelling evidence suggests that I should. In this case, I wanted to see what was jumping, and we had little to do while the pots were soaking.

Kings probably aren't most folks' target or reason to fish within the sound. But, if you have the gear, bring it. If you see feed on your sounder, there's no sense in not pulling a flasher and spoon or hoochie through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I have never heard of winter kings out of Whittier.
    They're there, no question. As with any other saltwater area in Alaska, where there is bait and current, you'll find feeder kings passing through. As noted by spoiled one, though, it may take a significant run to get into consistently productive areas. There's no doubt that Homer is more productive in near-harbor areas, but there are winter kings to be found in the Sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    As noted by spoiled one, though, it may take a significant run to get into consistently productive areas. There's no doubt that Homer is more productive in near-harbor areas...
    Wow! Thanks for the "spoiled one" moniker. That's really uncalled for, and especially from a forum administrator, even if it IS in jest. But what you said is exactly my point. You have to go a LOT further to find winter kings out of Whittier than most people are willing to which is why it is not considered a viable winter king fishery. In Homer you can find them at times about a mile from the end of the Spit. You could go shrimping out of Homer if you wanted to, but you have to go east of Gore Point to do it which isn't an option for most people. That's why Homer isn't known for shrimping.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Here we go AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Wow! Thanks for the "spoiled one" moniker. That's really uncalled for, and especially from a forum administrator, even if it IS in jest.
    Don't flatter yourself. Brian was referring to my post. Perhaps you should read the entire thread before making accusations!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast