Thread: Cut short......setting up a Hunt

Default Cut short......setting up a Hunt

A few day back, the wife and I ran some supplies to a place we like to hunt, a bit South of here allright, and a Looooong trip regrdless.
    We took some food, 10 gallons gas, some stove oil for the cabin and took away the old bedding that was there and a squirrle had gotten to during the summer it was unused. As well we inspected and repacked the firearms there and the ammo is all good, as well as restocked with candles and Toilet paper, its up to snuff now, and awaiting our return.

Klik on the pix, they'er Vids

When we visted "The trap" (old stone Caribou corrals and Wolf funnel )

and when we headed home......

We intended on looking for Fur, but a big blow came on and we just went home in a big blinding wind, useing the compass, and came home on one piston, as the replacement engine I dropped in was tired, old and now dead ~~LOL!!~~ what a waste........

We saw a Bazillion Caribou, but are not in need of meat, hide, nor sinew, so we just atched them graze and kept on moving......

Anyhoo, Ive got a dish for internet now, and guess who can upload good vids again
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Sno-go's are nice,faster and cheaper than dogs but what a pain.Never owned one but kinda wish I did as I miss out on alot of winter beauty.Thanks for sharing again.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Is that your summer hunting grounds then? Use it for trapping in the winter too? Cool vids, my dog had to jump on lap and check them out too! You guys don't worry about guns and ammo walking off? Looks to be pretty well sucluded!

I know it's not an "easy" life, but I do envy being away from all the "politics" and BS of everyday "city" life......THAT'S FOR SURE...!!!

Looking forward to more vids now....

Very cool indeed Sir!
    Not many have the burning desire to both live the remote lifestyle, and also embrace 2012 technologies like you have - we are very lucky to have you and your family to enjoy your daily travels. May your love of life burn for many many years to come!
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I know it's not an "easy" life, but I do envy being away from all the "politics" and BS of everyday "city" life......THAT'S FOR SURE...!!!
    Politics and BS also exist in village life. Sometimes it's worse!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks for posting Edward! The longer I live up here the more I wish I would have came here much sooner!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Politics and BS also exist in village life. Sometimes it's worse!!
    You got that right, and usually it involves family, which makes it even more personal. That being said, I do love it so.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I avoid the "drama" as best I can, but I have 5 daughters and a wife,......... so I guess thats self explanitory.~~LOL!!~~

I lived in a small village with a lezbian Jesus freek who lead an 'in the closet' gay pastor and the Sheep, a few years back, and after some really weird 'Politics' from the church , I moved back to camp, simply because I didnt need tio return from there anymore, and too, Ive been working my ass off the last couple years , working on houses, camps and getting them filled with proper living 'stuffs', (Running water is AWSOME!!!!!)building sleds, aquiring tools, makeing nets,fixxing junk for another life, enslaved to propell me across the tundra and waters, bought a couple small boats to get by with and am building to very large boats to make my escape with, and it looks like we can take the satalite dish for internet with us Well see, I guess.

Camping.........thats where everything doesnt matter. The wind and tides dictate the day and the way, or just staying in and keeping busy, theres work to do, even in a tent.

We live in a village, and stress over the price of goods and trying to replace worn equipment and get it moveing with high priced gas. Selling Artwork is not as easy as it was a few years back, so we get simpler and repair things alot more, not to hard, but not easy by any means.

We dont worry about theft much at all, 'cept a couple teenage kids who will soon put themselfs in prison, Im sure.

The only theft I have experianced in a camp besides AK State Troopers, has been from 'new to the area' guys who thought that the stuff in the cabin was 'abandond' because no one had been there for a few months.The other time was just outright theft with one guy on the ground and another in the air. I lost rifles then, but never since. I have found people camping in the buildings before and joined 'em. Theres no problem, we will use theres if we need, and they ours. Its a small world here too, in villages and camps.

When live in camp and stress over 'fuel'....gas is carefully meterd out and every start of a machine calculated to bring in something, be it fur, meat , wood, ice or people and mail.........with dogs, its all about feed, whats on hand, how much can you take before you have to find some, as its just not at hand in the villages, you gotta think and plan, stash and exchange, so no matter, theres always worries and a fellow can get poor quickly here.

No TV helps alot , too, but we hear stuffs on our one and only radio station, KOTZ.

Yep, Chris, except an occassional trip upriver, and a Fall Hunt, I roam west and south of the Kobuk Delta, in both Summer and Winter. I like the Ocean as much as I do the land, and with the way the pennesula devides the Sound from the inlet, we can cruize both sides, and in Winter , we can portage right over from one to the other, fresh or salt water. Walking, drifting, riding snowmachines and coasting back and forth is fun and profitable, hunting, beachcombing, Mammoth Hunting. My oldestSson lives at my turn around point, where we gas up, repair, rest, outfit annd come home with. Noorvik is my freezeup/darkness place, but I have much to do before I get to roam, but its comming, ever so slowly, one day atta time ~~LOL!!~~ Ohhhhhhhhh, the Drama, the Drama.........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default strangerinastrangeland

Hope the drama skips ya man! I have had enough drama the first two months of this year to last me a couple years. That's cool you keep your cool when someone is in your camp. Give and take relationship up there. Not sure it would be/ is the same around here, unless very close friends or family. Happy drifting!

Default upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Anyhoo, Ive got a dish for internet now, and guess who can upload good vids again
    Congrats on the Internet upgrade. I think that you probably don't roll this way, but if there had been a cup out there collecting money to pay for that upgrade, I'd have tossed a few bucks that way now and again. Love your stories and pictures. Dumb system won't let me rep you so soon so words will have to suffice.

About that artwork, is it available on any web site? If so, it shouldn't be against any rules here to mention it I would think/hope.

Has your wife ever considered that they might sell more/better if they're signed with your forum ID? Just a wild idea, and no offense to your wife or her work, of course.