Thread: Whittier to Codova and back this summer

Default Whittier to Codova and back this summer

My wife and I are planning a week long trip to Cordova this summer-June 20th-June 27th. Plan is to spend 2-3 days heading down and a couple of days in Cordova and then 2-3 days coming back-all dependent on weather. We will be doing a bit of shrimping, exploring and just enjoying the trip. Wouldn't mind have another boat join us. If you are interested send me a PM and we can discuss details.

Stay safe.

You may want to add some specs on your boat for compatability. Length and speed etc., a 30 knot boat and a 10 knot boat won't "pal around" together very well .

Would love to do a trip like that, but it is not in the cards for me. Have a safe trip.

Good idea. It's a 24' SeaSport Explorer. Cruise about 24kts but on this trip may be poking along.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Won't be there at that time but aounds like a.great trip. If you haven't been there take time to go out to the "milion dollar bridge" and watch th Childs Glacier calve

I am planning the same trip but later in the summer, probably July and taking about 10 days. I would be interested in anchorages or cool sights that you find or of course good fishing/shrimping for which you can PM me if you want. Took the ferry to Cordova last year for silver fishing and it was a blast and I like the town. There are not to many destination ports in PWS, I'm guessing Valdez and Cordova are the best options.

Seeker,

Will do. I already have a general idea of our course but it all depends on weather and where we decide to explore. Now if I can just get the five feet of snow and ice melted that has encased my boat by June.....

I may be interested, I will have to get back with you after discussing it with the wife. We were thinking about going form Whittier to Valdez...but Cordova may be even better. What kind of distance have you figured it would be?

I will talk to the wife, but we probably won't know until we get closer to launch date. Things / plans seem to change quickly.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

AKBB if i remember correctly its aprox 90 miles from whittier to cordova, i used to make the trip at least twice a season when i was gill netting.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

We have been planning on doing the Whittier to Valdez trip too. Cordova? Hmmm. Might be fun too. But we were planning on doing it when Cap'n Ron was going to be back in town.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Sound like a great trip! Re that there is no gas until you get to Cordova...unless you go into Valdez which is a 60 mile roundtrip from your likely route Whittier to Cordova. About halfway from Whit to Cord there is a good place to duck into for the night, actually several, and I may be out there for the 4th of July if you want to rendevous...PM me for details and we can talk about it!

With poking into bays and doing some exploring on the way I'm figuring about 120 miles. Won't be in any hurry, we are sightseeing, shrimping, may drop a line and just enjoying the trip. I've done some preliminary on anchorages and it looks like there are more than a few options.

If you don't have it already, head to Tidal Wave books and pick up The Cruising Guide to PWS. It really makes enjoying PWS so much easier. We try to explore one section during every trip out. Great Book....
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Ditto on the cruising guide, and the same couple (Jim and Nancy Lethcoe) wrote "A History of Prince William Sound" it covers a lot of ground starting with geology and the original natives, then the English, Spanish, Russians, Americans through the '64 quake and the oil spill and was revised again a year or two ago...great read!

Thanks Steve. I figured it would be farther than that. Sounds like it is much more do-able at that range.

TriIron, send me a message sometime with some details about your plans. My wife is all excited about the idea. If we went with you, I would not be able to leave on the 20th. I work on the Slope and fly home on the 20th, so leaving port that day would not work for me. Not asking you to change your plans for me, just throwing that out there in case I am able to tag along.

P.S. We love to fish so I would be interested in checking out some new territory along the way.

Thanks....AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

We are still looking for another boat to join us. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks and be safe.