Thread: Kelty Noah's Tarp

Default Kelty Noah's Tarp

There are a ton of sil nylon tarps out there but I keep seeing folks using the Kelty Noah's tarp for equipment and cooking areas and as well as rain cover for tents and hammocks. I sorta like the idea of all the tie-down tabs and different ways you can set up the Noah's tarp using shock cord to stop or reduce flapping in wind.

Anyone have any experience with them and how do you like them?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I bought one and used it on my last sheep hunt, I have no complaints about the tarp, it met all expectations. The bummer for me was when I left a corner of it propped up by a trekking pole over night after I used it for a wind break. The wind increased during the night and the pole came loose from the ground, the wind whipping the tarp around caused the pole tip to rip a small area of the tarp. No fault of the tarp.

I use one on float hunts to make an overhang over the tent. Its great for sitting under when it rains as well as not getting wet when you exit the tent. I haven't used it heavy wind, but with the tie downs available, it shouldn't be too difficult to fully tie it down. I won't go on another hunt without it. I use the mid size tarp. Another benefit, while it is much more expensive than a regular tarp, I do not miss the noise of a regular tarp in the wind.

Good luck,
    Moose44

I have 12x12' and 16x16' Noah's Tarps and used them for several years. They have a cantenary cut so they shed wind with little flapping about, and all the tie-outs allow them to be used in a stiff wind. They have their limits of course, but serve the same purpose as a River Wing and other, similar tarps. The Kelty Noah's Tarp is just less expensive than those. They've been durable.

The 12x12' Noah's Tarp sets up easy as a 1-2 person shelter with three corners on the ground and one suspended by a raft oar or other 8-10 pole. The 16x16' version catches more wind, and seems to stretch the limits of an open tarp shelter, but works well in moderate conditions. It sure is nice to have all that dry space though. Smaller tarps are always easier to set up and more wind resistant. I wish they made a 14x14' version. That would be a better compromise for me.

I have one of the large Kelty fly's and I really like it, it folds up small and lets a lot of light in, I bought a set of ploes from NRS, http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2772.2 I would have liked to buy the NRS river wing but the Kelty was more affordable. The NRS poles are high qulaity and longer than what Kelty offers, if I remember coreectly......
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Thanks folks!! Just orderded a 12 footer from Sportsmans at $60. I'm glad to hear your comments because I was concerned that a 16' would be too big.

Thanks again!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

ya i've got one too, love it. it will leak if water pools in it. remember to keep it at an angle to drain. i carry if everywhere on my sheep hunts, easy shelter to get outa the weather, cut the wind and cook lunch in, wrap around packs or meat to keep dry you name it. light weight and just flat out handy. love all the tie outs, i ditched the tent stakes with mine and just use rocks or whatevers out there, gets it even lighter.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Just got mine yesterday and I'm gunna play with it today. I'm thinking it will be a "porch roof" over my little BA 3 person. I saw a picture of a guy that hooked it up to a couple trees on the water's edge and to the stern of his canoe and he was sleeping in the canoe. Looks like the uses are limited only by your imagination!!

What are the advantages of these tarps over buying the two pack of blue or brown tarps sold at Costco? I think a 2 pack runs about 20 bucks for size 12x16.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    What are the advantages of these tarps over buying the two pack of blue or brown tarps sold at Costco? I think a 2 pack runs about 20 bucks for size 12x16.
    Weight and packed size for starters

Lighter weight is an advantage for sure. But also the cantenary cut greatly reduces flapping and increases wind shedding. (Cantenary in this case means it is sewn together on the diagonal with the center tightened up, and the edges are scalloped). The fabric is also far stronger.

I spent about an hour playing with different configurations of the tarp and sure enough...it is only limited by your imagination. I used a tree on one end and a homemade pole on some of the setups but certainly could have used a treking pole for a lower set up.

The tarp is light weight and very easy to set up in the ways I tried. I'm going to get some 1/8" bungie and use it to set up so it will keep the material tight so it will shed water and wind. I'm going to leave it set up for a few days and get an idea how it works under different conditions. Temp is close to freezing tonight so I expect it to sag overnight...we'll see, but the bungie should stop that problem.

So far I like it a lot and much better than a blue tarp!!

Overnight the wind pulled out the little push-in stake on the pole end. With new 18" rebar stakes it is back up in 15G20 wind with some flapping but not much. It seems to take the wind load and stay steady without moving a lot...pretty neat thing!