Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Ruger Bisley....

Default Looking for a Ruger Bisley....

I'm looking for a Ruger Bisley in blue as a base gun for a custom. I don't care about caliber as long as it's a large frame Bisley. It doesn't have to be pretty. The cheaper the better
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

What are you cooking up, Snyd?!

Perry, if I had the money I'd buy this; http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_Gen...ey_41_Mag.html
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    What are you cooking up, Snyd?!
    I've decided on a John Linebaugh built 500L.
    Last edited by Snyd; 03-19-2012 at 13:22.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Perry, if I had the money I'd buy this; http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_Gen...ey_41_Mag.html

Thanks for the heads up. I think he's high on the price by about 150 bucks by the looks of it. I can get a new one for close to that.

Fun build, was looking at those yesterday on his site. Kind of funny (though I understand) shaving a little off the front end of such a high end build.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    Fun build, was looking at those yesterday on his site. Kind of funny (though I understand) shaving a little off the front end of such a high end build.
    Ya I hear ya. If I can find a used one locally it should go for around 350-450 depending on condition. I can order a new one for 542 from buds and they say free shipping to Alaska. But I can't see it before I buy it to verify the serial number is far enough from the frame opening for the conversion. Might have to call them anyway.

Default Silk purse or sow's ear

I guess I'm just kinda cheap but spending over $2200 on a $400 gun just seems pretty strange to me.

I find it interesting that John Linebaugh considers the Colt SAA or New Frontier as the "ultimate packers" for the lower 48 and considerd the S&W Mdl 25-5 as his " favorite all around packin' gun". " It's packable, practical and powerful, and that's what Old School sixguns are all about." http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=12

Make certain you post some pictures and let us know how your project turns out! Perhaps I can catch up with you sometime in Fairbanks and give it a try - maybe I'll even change my mind

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

You've got to handle them and shoot them to understand.

I don't think the price of his conversions are unreasonable. Seeing a new Freedom Arms Premier .500 Linebaugh retails for $2,320 without any options they are in the ball park. Add in the fact you are having a revolver built to your unique specifications and it truly could be a "one of a kind".

Am considering selling one of my S&W 500's (the 6.5 inch, will keep the 4 inch version for back up) and having Mr Linebaugh build me one as well. First need to fire my FA 475 Linebaugh when it comes in and see if I can handle the recoil before moving up.

Synd, How long will it take to have the 500 built?

Default Fit. finish, operation, precision workmanship, or ??

Perhaps I would understand: after all I do appreciate the much superior finish, precision fit, operation, and workmanship of a S&W (as compared to a Ruger and lesser handguns guns) so I'm sure I would see those qualities in the conversion also. For instance I bought a Old Model .45 Blackhawk and a S&W Mdl 25-5 at the gun show last weekend; handling and shooting them really emphasises the differences in quality and price. Comparing my Colt New Frontier to the Blackhawk would perhaps be a better comparison however - the Colt is definetly worth the exta money to me.

I do find it interesting that even John holds the Colts SAs and S&W Mdl 25-5 in such high regard and considers the Model 25-5 as his favorite "all round packin' gun". http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=12

You've got to handle them and shoot them to understand.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I don't think the price of his conversions are unreasonable. Seeing a new Freedom Arms Premier .500 Linebaugh retails for $2,320 without any options they are in the ball park. Add in the fact you are having a revolver built to your unique specifications and it truly could be a "one of a kind".

Am considering selling one of my S&W 500's (the 6.5 inch, will keep the 4 inch version for back up) and having Mr Linebaugh build me one as well. First need to fire my FA 475 Linebaugh when it comes in and see if I can handle the recoil before moving up.

Synd, How long will it take to have the 500 built?
    I have not talked with Mr. Linebaugh yet. I'm going to wait until I have the base gun in hand and am ready to send it off. I've talked to some guys online and based on those conversations I'm figuring 18-24 months. But who knows for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I guess I'm just kinda cheap but spending over $2200 on a $400 gun just seems pretty strange to me.

I find it interesting that John Linebaugh considers the Colt SAA or New Frontier as the "ultimate packers" for the lower 48 and considerd the S&W Mdl 25-5 as his " favorite all around packin' gun". " It's packable, practical and powerful, and that's what Old School sixguns are all about." http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=12

Make certain you post some pictures and let us know how your project turns out! Perhaps I can catch up with you sometime in Fairbanks and give it a try - maybe I'll even change my mind
    Well the way I look at it is where else are you going to get a casting or forging thatís all hogged out with grip frame and all the other little parts rough fitted for $4-500? Saves a lot of time and money and what you get isnít a Ruger anymore itís a Linebaugh, Ruger is just the raw material its made from.

Colt SAAs are better fitted guns but Iíd rather have a Blackhawk for the better cylinder steel and coil main spring . . . I can make the Ruger as well fitted as the Colt for less than the Colt price and then I have the Ruger's coil spring and cylinder steel.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I have not talked with Mr. Linebaugh yet. I'm going to wait until I have the base gun in hand and am ready to send it off. I've talked to some guys online and based on those conversations I'm figuring 18-24 months. But who knows for sure.
    I'd call him first, he may have a donor gun on hand or some advice tidbits on getting one.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I'd call him first, he may have a donor gun on hand or some advice tidbits on getting one.
    The custom shops, like Linebaugh, Huntington, Bowen, Clements, Harton, etc. normally do not provide donor guns. You need to bring your own to the party.

Default Linebaugh perfers the Colt SAs and S&W

John himself considers the Colts and S&W Mdl 25-5 a better choice than Rugers for a packable gun- who am I to argue with your expert?

I'm not sure the cylinder steel is any better in the Rugers than the new Colts - why should it be any different? Of course the metal in the older Colts isn't as good but no one loads them up hot anyway. I haven't ever seen a brokern leaf spring in a S&W or other quality gun so don't think the coil springs are a big deal anymore. The leaf springs can also give a different action that can be kind of neat - coil springs are pretty much linear in action and they do rub against the guides to make then a bit sluggish. The leaf springs give a feel of quality that coil springs just don't have - they are part of the feel of quality that is hard to explain.

The Rugers are a good value -no doubt about it. But even after you do everything to them you still have a bulky cast frame vs. the lighter forged trimmer frames of the Colt or S&W. You get what you pay for and in an expensive gun I expect a lot.

Well the way I look at it is where else are you going to get a casting or forging thatís all hogged out with grip frame and all the other little parts rough fitted for $4-500? Saves a lot of time and money and what you get isnít a Ruger anymore itís a Linebaugh, Ruger is just the raw material its made from.

Colt SAAs are better fitted guns but Iíd rather have a Blackhawk for the better cylinder steel and coil main spring . . . I can make the Ruger as well fitted as the Colt for less than the Colt price and then I have the Ruger's coil spring and cylinder steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I think he's high on the price by about 150 bucks by the looks of it. I can get a new one for close to that.
    What, no one haggles anymore?
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

The custom shops, like Linebaugh, Huntington, Bowen, Clements, Harton, etc. normally do not provide donor guns. You need to bring your own to the party.
    Yes I know but I also know Bowen had a little stack of Ruger donors last year so sometimes, for various reasons, they can have donors. The other part of that, advice and tidbits, there may be some donors, some production years, that are better/worse suited for the job at hand than others and it would be wise to know in advance of buying if there are.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have 4 ruger bisley Blackhawks. 5.5" stainless. 3 are sequentially numbered and 1 has been shot a few times. I will be listing them today. You can email me at my username @gmail.com
    Zach

Default Old Model Rugers also?

Do they build the high end conversions on the large frame Old Model Blackhawks? The OM actions are so much nicer without the transfer bar messing up the trigger pull and messing up cylinder rotation etc.. Colt never bowed to the political pressure and kept their old simple action intact - the Colts just handle so much nicer than the new Rugers.

I wonder if there is some licensing and tax issues involved with the customer furnishing the gun versus building on a customer's gun? For example, if you build on a customer's gun you can stay a gunsmith instead of a dealer and ship the gun back and forth without going thru a FFL.

Yes I know but I also know Bowen had a little stack of Ruger donors last year so sometimes, for various reasons, they can have donors. The other part of that, advice and tidbits, there may be some donors, some production years, that are better/worse suited for the job at hand than others and it would be wise to know in advance of buying if there are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast