Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single outboard to twin outboard

Default Single outboard to twin outboard

How easy if possible would it be to change a single O/B to a Twin or is that even worth it. I would like all the feed back i know there are tons of questions that can be ask. From a 225 to twin 115. Can a transom hold that or would it need to be beefed up. First want to know if its possible or just stupid.

what is your transom rated for?. what is the goal? saftey, are you moderizing your drives for efficientcy?

I'm not really up on the single vs. twins stuff but i'd bet you'll be slower with twins.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

The short answer is not easy and not worth it.

The long answer is the pro's to twins are it's easier to manuver a boat with twin screws and in certain hp ranges twins are the only option.

The minuses are:
    twins consume more fuel
    twins are heavier
    twins have more drag so not as fast as same hp single
    twins are more expensive to purchase than same hp single
    twins are more expensive to maintain, more sparkplugs, more oil to change
    twins typically aren't sized large enough so one will get the boat on plane if one conks out, so you have an expensive thirsty kicker.

Typical failure sources in boats are the power system and the fuel system. So to have a truly redundant system each twin needs it's own indepent power system, and fuel system. And not only do you need independent fuel systems, you need to fill up at different locations so a single bad load of fuel doesn't take out both motors even if you have independent fuel systems.

Get a new 225 four stroke single and be done with it.

I can't see twins unless you have a boat that needs 450+ hp.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

the transom is rated for 300hp. I read and heard once you get the twins trimed and powered right they can be way more fuel effective. Now reading what you have wrote i will not go with twins just up grade to a newer motor. Thanks for all the thoughts on this subject was curious how they may compare. i didnt think about drag with two motors figured smaller and more fuel efficent.

Paul hit it right on the head. I'll tell ya what a good buddy of mine used to say about twins "double trouble"

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

So when you guys got to pick out your boats you would pick single over twins.

Quote Originally Posted by hoythunter View Post
    So when you guys got to pick out your boats you would pick single over twins.
    I am partial to outboards and a single outboard wouldn't reasonably work for me. In a smaller boat I would not hesitate to go with a big single and 20 horse high thrust for a kicker. What kind of boat are you talking about?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

If your boat is rated for a 300 then put a 300 on her. I have NEVER heard of anyone complaining about having too much Horse Power then throw a good kicker on her.
    The bigger motor will get better MPG and last longer because you can go easy on the throttle and don't have to run wide open to get anywhere.

i went single over twins when looking, better fuel economy & less headaches...the kicker will get you out of trouble if your worried about it crapping out....most twins setups wont plane most boats running one engine.

Completely humor me here, and since the rivers are a ways off from being liquid, what boat DOESN'T need 450+hp? Name one, I dare you!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    The short answer is not easy and not worth it.

The long answer is the pro's to twins are it's easier to manuver a boat with twin screws and in certain hp ranges twins are the only option.

The minuses are:
    twins consume more fuel
    twins are heavier
    twins have more drag so not as fast as same hp single
    twins are more expensive to purchase than same hp single
    twins are more expensive to maintain, more sparkplugs, more oil to change
    twins typically aren't sized large enough so one will get the boat on plane if one conks out, so you have an expensive thirsty kicker.

Typical failure sources in boats are the power system and the fuel system. So to have a truly redundant system each twin needs it's own indepent power system, and fuel system. And not only do you need independent fuel systems, you need to fill up at different locations so a single bad load of fuel doesn't take out both motors even if you have independent fuel systems.

Get a new 225 four stroke single and be done with it.

I can't see twins unless you have a boat that needs 450+ hp.

Quote Originally Posted by akboater80 View Post
    Completely humor me here, and since the rivers are a ways off from being liquid, what boat DOESN'T need 450+hp? Name one, I dare you!
    I dont think an 18' Lund needs 450HP, I could be wrong about that though
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I dont think an 18' Lund needs 450HP, I could be wrong about that though
    you sir, are indeed wrong

heck, dont be timid. beef up that transom, slip that 225 to the side and get another set right beside her. if one goes out you will still be good to go. no replacment for displacment.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I am partial to outboards and a single outboard wouldn't reasonably work for me. In a smaller boat I would not hesitate to go with a big single and 20 horse high thrust for a kicker. What kind of boat are you talking about?
    1999 2600 Sea swirl

What about on a 26ft boat twin 150s if one crapped out the other 150 could pretty easy get that boat going just not up on step.

Quote Originally Posted by hoythunter View Post
    What about on a 26ft boat twin 150s if one crapped out the other 150 could pretty easy get that boat going just not up on step.
    If one motor will not get the boat above hull speed, its just a very heavy & expensive trolling motor........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

If you run twins and you are propped so that one engine can get you on plane, then you are way under propped when running both engines. Assuming one is running counter rotaters, then you need to have two spare low pitch props so that if one engine conks out, you can re-prop the one that is still running to get you back. Engines usually don't conk out in the best of conditions, so you will either be replacing a prop in a chop, or will have to find a safe anchorage to change props.

Properly setup twins with truly indepent power, fuel and steering system is the ideal way to go, but when you look at the expense of doing it properly, the cost/benefit really makes one consider if it's really worth it, especially as it's not just the added 20-30% purchase price, it's also the added costs of fuel and maintenance.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Ok with twins out of the question what are good high HP motors i have owned an older mariner and inboards so not really up to date on new motors prices and fuel effective. Been out on a friends with a 250 suzuki quiet and powerful!

I once blew through a 100hp main and a 6hp Kicker on one trip. I had a VHF and called a Pan-Pan and got towed home by a good samaritan vessel.

If you have communications, save the money. Bad stuff happens but we are Americans and the USCG is at the ready in AK.

I'm not saying be unprepared, just saying that the USCG has your back. A main and kicker is very capable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast