Thread: Oil Change Extractor

Default Oil Change Extractor

So the search function on this forum is ridiculous so I couldn't find anything about these. I have twin 150hp Yamaha's on my boat and changing the oil is a huge mess. It's tough to drain the oil out without spilling it and then the filter is still left full so when you change it oil drains all over the place. I was thinking of picking up one of these (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=50402). Has anyone used them and what do you think?

This is an ideal time for me to pick one up as I typically do all my own maintenance on my boat, cars, truck. My wife's car is way past due for an oil change but we're in transition and moved into a very small rental. I have no place to get a car inside to change the oil but this would make changing it much easier. If this works out for boats what about a subaru? From what I read they were developed by BMW for oil changes. Any opinions or thoughts? Just trying to kill two birds with one stone here and use this as an excuse to pick up some equipment.

The oil extractors work well on many motors, when I worked at a Honda marine dealer years ago we would use them to remove the oil from new outboards for shipping after we test ran them. They were sold as a Honda service tool. They worked well on yamis or anything you could stuff the tube in. When using the small tube, make sure the oil is warm if you don't have all day

they sell a little unit called fluid evacuator. We have Yamaha 115 on our ocean and thos unit works great. I use of for all kinds of thingsi googled fluid evacuatoramd found them for 58-80. All the snap on trucks have on the truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I have and use an oil extraction pump on my Mercruiser inboard. In fact it even has threads on the dipstick tube to make it easier. I just screw on the pump after warming the engine with the muffs and garden hose and pump away. Mine is a Jabsco pump with the appropriate threaded connection on the intake hose.
    I know my boats dipstick is made long enough to accomodate use of the pump.
    I would check to make sure the dipstick tube on the car goes low enuough in the oil pan to get the majority of the oil out.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    So the search function on this forum is ridiculous so I couldn't find anything about these. I have twin 150hp Yamaha's on my boat and changing the oil is a huge mess. It's tough to drain the oil out without spilling it and then the filter is still left full so when you change it oil drains all over the place.
    I have tried several different brands of oil extractors and they work ok, work much better when the oil is hot. But none work as good as draining the oil.
    Good way it get the oil out of the filter is simply to punch a hole in it while the oil is draining. This breaks the suction and after about 30 minutes the bulk of the oil is gone and you can unscrew the filter without much mess at all.

I have the exact model shown. It works great. Simple, lots of vaccum. I Use it to extract the oil out of the ocean boat. Also works slick for changing out the fluid in the bennet trim tab reservoir and so on.
    Wouldn't hesitate to purchase one. Local store in Anch carries, bought mine about 4 years ago when they were on sale.

BK

Patrick,

I have one that you can borrow if you would like. It works great on the outboards.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Amazon.com sells these and some have free shipping.

they sell them at AIH for 75. I have one and love it use it on rzr, boats both outboard and inboard.

Thanks for the help. Thanks Pete for the offer but given the positive reviews I just went ahead and picked one up. Thanks again boys. This is what I love about this site.

So? Are ya gonna tell us where and how good the deal was? That's what I love about this site. Saving us time and money by sharing info......
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Patrick,

I have one that you can borrow if you would like. It works great on the outboards.
    Pete: In your experience, does it do a sufficient job of getting the oil out, or do you pull the drain plug after this pump gets most out??

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Pete: In your experience, does it do a sufficient job of getting the oil out, or do you pull the drain plug after this pump gets most out??
    Hey Ron. The pump does a fantastic job removing the oil. If you do it after bringing the engine up to operating temperature, you can remove nearly all, if not all of the old oil. After stripping out oil drain plugs on a couple of different motors I don't even look at the plugs anymore.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    So? Are ya gonna tell us where and how good the deal was? That's what I love about this site. Saving us time and money by sharing info......
    Unfortunately I didn't get a sreaming deal. I just ran by AIH and picked it up on my way home from work. I needed to get the oil changed on my wifes car ASAP and this was a good excuse to pick one up for this spring on the boat. Still not a bad deal at $75.

Yeah these things are critical for me. I use mine for all my marine engines, diesels too. As everyone says on the oil temp, the warmer the better.
    Tony

Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about getting one for awhile now too.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859