Thread: Southeast Hand Troller Permit??

Default Southeast Hand Troller Permit??

I am moving to Sitka for work I was thinking about getting a hand troller permit and fishing on the weekend it in my sport boat just to help with the cost of getting out on the water. Any thought here??

most hand trollers end up wishing they had a power troll permit, cranking up 30-50lb weights gets old quick for most

Hand trolling is fine, if you stick to doing what hand trollers do best.. shallow, up against the kelp. If you are going to crank 20fa with 35lb balls, you better have some good 2 speed gurdies or a power troll permit.

As for making money.. can you find/catch fish?

I have been looking lately, the going cost is around $25,000.00, you cannot just borrow one that is not being used, I checked on that because I have a friend that has one and is not using it, you have to buy the permit, look on Alaska permits for sale, or IFQ's for sale in Alaska. There have not been many available at a low price.

Talking to a few Brokers hand troll permits are 10 to 12.5 grand right now a two speed gudies would be a must. I would not be trying to make a living at it Just a cover the cost and get a foot into a Alaska fishery and help cover the cost of getting out on the water. I have fished centeral alaska my hole life never Southeast I have killed my fare share of fish more to come.

If you can find fish, and know what it takes to stack them, then you'll be fine. I'm a shallow water kelper, and I troll shallow kelp lines with 2 spreads a side. It is very profitable if you know how to do it right. It's a simple game of knowing where the kings are, running out there in the dark and and having gear in the water at first light. I'll fish the same 100yd stretch, and clean out most of the kings in an hour or two. By the time the first charter boat shows up you'll have the majority of what you'll catch for the morning. Being the only boat at some of those prime kelp lines on the outer coast in SE AK can really pay off. Fishing evenings too can be really good, after all the sport boats have gone home.

BTW, you can catch 20 kings an hour while hand trolling, with only four hooks in the water, trolling 8fa. You gotta be dialed into the fish though.

The coho game is similar. Find out from the charter boys where they're catching in sitka. Be the 1st one there, and fill your deck while they are still on their way out. Coho bites usually go to a scratch by 9 or 10 am. You could have over a hundred by that time though if you stay in the prime areas and the sport boats don't get too thick.

If you decide to fish like most of the other trollers and fish deeper water with lots of hooks in the water, you'll wear your arm out, and it'll take you 5x as long to catch less fish.