Thread: ?GlacerBay SeaSport Boulton FishRight???

Default ?GlacerBay SeaSport Boulton FishRight???

First Time Post

My Wife and I are in the market for a new boat. We are moving to Sitka for work. We curantaly have a 19.5 cuddy Bayliner 115 evenrude we ran it out of Homer last summer time to upgrade. I have narrowed it down to 4 boats any thoughts would be appreciated. A few must haves are a Piolt house heat head be able to overnight comfterable outboards 24-30' trailerable radar ect.. under the $100 grand price

GlacierBay Catermeran 252

SeaSport 24

Boulton explorer 26

FishRight SeaStorm

There is a kingfisher on craigslist right for $109k. It's already in SE. Make a 100k offer.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bod/2908603969.html

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

lots of sea sports in sitka & there's a few on the used market, some diligent shopping should find you something in the $40,000 to $60,000 range.

I do have a soft spot for the seasports I know of a few on the market. I am going to be looking at a 27' seasport duel 150 hondas. That Kingfisher was a realy nice I do like aluminum. There is a Glacier Bay that has real cought my eye range and efficency for about the price of a seasport.

Any one been on a Glacier Bay Catemeran ??????? 252

i would definitely sea trial a glacier bay catamaran with some sea conditions. they might offer a superior ride going into it but tend to get squirrley in a beam or aft sea, at least the ones i've watched. there's usually a fair amt of boats for sale in the local harbors that aren't advertised also, watch the boards harbors & post office & papers....good luck

After looking at them, I wouldn't get a FishRight or Boulton, personally. Don't know anything about the Glacier Bay, but had two Sea Sports in the family. Loved them both, and miss them. Any reason you're going new? If it was me with those choices, I'd probably get a Sea Sport 27' Pilot. Love that boat/layout.

Lots of good aluminum boats to choose from, too, if you look around the state and Pac-West used market.

Lots of boats on the Alaska Boat Brokers website that fit your needs. A couple of Ospreys (great boats) and lots of others.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Fiberglass boats have a warmer, homey - cushy factor that metal boats don't have, however, metal boats are more utilitarian - durable and keep their resell value better. Just my opinion. That said, I have seen some metal boats that are pretty sweet, but that's a different level of finance.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Something like this would be hard to top.

http://juneau.craigslist.org/boa/2911331934.html

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Something like this would be hard to top.

http://juneau.craigslist.org/boa/2911331934.html
    I would second this recommendation...very hard to beat that!

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I have a Glacier Bay 2690. It has the Alaska Pilot house (fully enclosed hard cab with the hard, lockable door) with twin Honda 150's. We decided on this boat because the wife and I both get sea-sick. I know, I know....let's not get into the boat owners that get sea-sick thing!!

We love the ride of the Cat. It is very smooth and very, very stable. It does have it's down falls, like everything does, but it is about the best boat for us. We wanted something that we could go out for 3 or 4 days in, sleep comfortably and feel safe. We also wanted a boat that could handle the big waves and bring us home safely. With all of the cabin space, a queen sized been and a toilet / shower, we do give up some fish deck space on our 2690.

But, everything is a compromise. I can live with a little smaller fish deck so we can have the bed and toilet, and a nice warm, heated cabin with lots of windows.

Shoot me an email if you want to ask any questions, or if you want to stop by and take a look at it.

I think it is a great boat for our needs. You just need to decide what will work best for you. Look at many boats, as there are many builders and many different styles out there. When you see the right one for you, you will know it!

Alaskan
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

I just added some pics of our Glacier Bay 2690 to my albums so you could see what it looks like. Enjoy the boat shopping experience...it is quite exciting looking at all the boats. Good Luck!!
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Well after walking the docks all summer my wife and I have found a 2001 Seasport 2200 sportsman with a 5.0 Volvo DP under 500hrs we are going to buy this week.

I would love to get feed back on this boat.

thanks

unless your getting it dirt cheap I would think you'll be wishing for a bigger boat before long. doesn't take much people, crab pots, shrimp pots, ect to take up room....just saw a 27' on craiglist in wasilla for 65K....just my opinion but around sitka a 27 or 24 would be a good size boat. doesnt take much seas to wish you had a bigger boat.

I think If I keep is simple and well thought out a 22 will get me out on the water for half the price of the 27' my wifes grandparents have a 27 piolt and I love it and yes there will be a few day's I will want a bigger boat like every one does but 89% of the time its just me and the wife. Have you been on a 2200 under way? I have been on many trips out of Seward back in the day on the MWR seasports it was great.

Thanks for the input!

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/3354979216.html looks nice.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bod/3350402933.html ia a former forum members boat. He took excellent care of it.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Very nice that osprey has cought my eye a few times big boat.

I love the seasport in a few years there will be a upgrade but for half the cost right now the 22' will have to work.

Have you ever been on one under way?

Thanks

My family had both a 22' Sea Sport and later the 27' Pilot. While I loved the Pilot, the 22' was honestly just enough boat to get us pretty much anywhere we wanted to go. When we had all four of us on board, it was cramped for anything other than day trips, though, whereas the 27' was obviously designed for a more extended trip.

For a starter boat, and if you've found a good deal, you really can't go wrong with the 22'. Yes, you will probably start to dream of something bigger soon, but that can be said of most boats under 30'...you always want this, that, or the other thing.

Whatever you get, enjoy it, learn from it, and build from there.

I used to live/fish out of Sitka. You are right.. a 22' Boat will do 95% of it, and the days it can't, you are better off on land anyways. A 22' is perfect for 2, and fuel consumption will be considerably less. A big difference between a 22' and a 27' boat when it comes to feeding it, storing it, and towing it. I'd take the 22' any day for your purposes.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention:

The 22 rides smaller than the 27...it's shorter and lighter, primarily...but it's obviously a hull designed for ocean use, and if you turn the rpm's down and don't try to be on step through the nasty stuff, it handles most seas quite well.