Thread: Badlands ox pack pros and cons please...

Default Badlands ox pack pros and cons please...

Would like any advice either way I'm 6'4" and looking for a great pack.

Looks like a nice pack. Did you see this link? http://www.santanaoutdoors.com/servl...FUoZQgodFAr0Jg

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Did you see this link?
    Bryan is the Ox....

Oops

Bryan is the Ox... and/or forgot a skinning knife?

A 4400 CI pack weighing 9+ pounds is a little more than I like to carry around, but then again it looks pretty sturdy. I am also 6'4 (34" waist 170 pounds) and tried one on at Sportsmans last year. Comfortable fit on shoulders/chest and around hips, but for the price and weight I didn't want to pull the trigger on a pack that was not exactly what I wanted. My day pack is an older Badlands, i think 2200 size. It is an uncomfortable mother... and never has enough room. Only reason I keep it is because I don't want to invest in a different pack that I'd only wear for a few hours at a time. That being said a hunting buddy has an older version of the Badlands 4500 internal frame and even though he has like 8 other packs he shows up with it almost every time. I'm saving up for a Kifaru Longhunter right now, its bigger than 4400 but that company also has many other packs that are similar in size to the Ox - even their most sturdy beefy packs are lighter weight.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonahtic View Post
    Oops

Bryan is the Ox... and/or forgot a skinning knife?

A 4400 CI pack weighing 9+ pounds is a little more than I like to carry around, but then again it looks pretty sturdy. I am also 6'4 (34" waist 170 pounds) and tried one on at Sportsmans last year. Comfortable fit on shoulders/chest and around hips, but for the price and weight I didn't want to pull the trigger on a pack that was not exactly what I wanted. My day pack is an older Badlands, i think 2200 size. It is an uncomfortable mother... and never has enough room. Only reason I keep it is because I don't want to invest in a different pack that I'd only wear for a few hours at a time. That being said a hunting buddy has an older version of the Badlands 4500 internal frame and even though he has like 8 other packs he shows up with it almost every time. I'm saving up for a Kifaru Longhunter right now, its bigger than 4400 but that company also has many other packs that are similar in size to the Ox - even their most sturdy beefy packs are lighter weight.
    Aren't the Kifaru all internal frame packs?

Get a Barney's or if your budget is less get an old Dana Design Terraframe or Loadmaster on Ebay. Your other option is get a Kelty Cachehauler and have Apocalypse Design Rambo up that sucker. It will be heavy but it will haul anything thing and the 1000 denier cordura will probably last into the next century.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Aren't the Kifaru all internal frame packs?
    Yeah I think so, they have some tactical haulers that look like a hybrid. Didnt know if NoBadDays' heart was set on internal or external

OX is not a quality pack..get a Barneys or something else. I spent over an hour in Sportsmanís tearing it apart and checking everything from head to toe on this thing. The pack is not bad..the support system is not good. the little devices they have to secure the poles and main pack to the side pieces "tension bar you bend" broke on us when I tried to put it back together. The store rep was there watching us (seems he was concerned about us inspecting it) he saw this piece fail as we tried to line everything up..said he was not impressed with them either..gathered all the pieces and took it to the back. I have a KUIU 6000, Cabelas Alaska guide, external frame, Mystery Ranch Mule or 7000cuin. I use them for different types of outings..but will stick with the KUIU for now..I think it is a pretty solid pack..frame could use some lubricant from what I hear..but look forward to using it this spring for bear. Will post pros and cons on it after 10 days across the Inlet.

I still like the positive advice and recommendation on the Barneys and the Kifaru Longhunter. Will probably move to the latter as time goes on and sell the MR and Cabelas.
    I would not buy it...just my 2 cents worth. If you have the funds to spend on it..find something better.

Good luck.
    DH01
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

What is the Barney pack? Where can you look at it on the Internet? How much are they

Quote Originally Posted by nobaddaysinak View Post
    What is the Barney pack? Where can you look at it on the Internet? How much are they
    Here ya go..... http://store.barneyssports.com/

There is more talk about it here as well: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t-hunting-pack