Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: does any one have a depth finder on there jetboat???

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

how well do these new sonar work in the heavy silted waters of our rivers? we always used depth only on the yukon and tanana, for marking channles..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have knocked mine off at least 4 times. All my buddies have too. They are nice to mark channels and such when fishing and to check water temps. I rarely use the sonar in the rivers anymore. I would not live without it in the ocean for fishing and such however.

I know they go thru fiberglass but are you sure they go thru aluminum what brand are you talking about ive not found one

Dirty little town near the end of the road

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    how well do these new sonar work in the heavy silted waters of our rivers? we always used depth only on the yukon and tanana, for marking channles..
    They work fine in the silt, from my experience.........in the Tanana
    “There is no wealth but life.” John Ruskin

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

thanks gramps, i have been eyeballing one of them lowrance DSI modles..will be interesting to see if the silt distorts the imaging
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    thanks gramps, i have been eyeballing one of them lowrance DSI modles..will be interesting to see if the silt distorts the imaging
    I guess I should qualify that it will give accurate bottom readings, but have never seen a fish on the screen....so there may be some interference that I am unaware of...........
    “There is no wealth but life.” John Ruskin

I just talked to garmin and they said an alumaducer will go thru aluminum made by vexilar. http://vexilar.com/pages/accessories...sducers_au.php heres the link.

Here's another questions to throw out there... I have a garmin 400c, it has the Vexlar Circle thing on it (which I have no idea how to read it though). So will this Alumaducer also work using the normal screens? You know, the ones that show the bottom and the fish and the bait balls or whatever else in the water? I looked on the website and can't find the answers to these questions. Also, will it penetrate the aluminum bottom AS WELL AS the 3/16" of Hardkor bottom coating?...thanx... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by sheffrey View Post
    I just talked to garmin and they said an alumaducer will go thru aluminum made by vexilar. http://vexilar.com/pages/accessories...sducers_au.php heres the link.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    Here's another questions to throw out there... I have a garmin 400c, it has the Vexlar Circle thing on it (which I have no idea how to read it though). So will this Alumaducer also work using the normal screens? You know, the ones that show the bottom and the fish and the bait balls or whatever else in the water? I looked on the website and can't find the answers to these questions. Also, will it penetrate the aluminum bottom AS WELL AS the 3/16" of Hardkor bottom coating?...thanx... "fishon"
    I am using a 400c with the stock ducer I mentioned earlier, so no need to buy one from Vexilar. but I did contact Vexilar when I was originally contemplating this and I am quite certain they make an adaptor to go to Gramin....Did you look at their site as I think that info is on there as well.

I dont know anything about hardkor? but I would be doubtful that it would work, if there is any space between the hardkor and the boat bottom, I suspect it would not read correctly. But what the heck you can try your Garmin in side and see if it will work.
    I bet the Garmin in hull for fiberglass will also work jus fine with aluminum......!

LOTS OF PREVIOUSLY WRITTEN THREADS ABOUT HOW TO DO THIS........sorry didnt mean to yell, but do a search..............

I use my depth finder to find fish, just because it's a river boat doesn't mean I don't take it to the ocean. It's also very nice when running the Yukon those really wide rivers are very hard to read and I find it as piece of mind.

My garmin 160C fish\depth finder works just fine in the silt, lakes, ocean, anywhere i have taken it. Marking fish in the river is sketchy at best. Just remeber that running in a river that the depth you are in or reading is at the back of the boat. while moving at 25-35mph it can go from 3' to 1' in the length of the boat. (yes there is a stroy behind that statement) it is good for finding the channels and while using my moving map gps with the bread crumm active it works fairly well for the braided river system.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12