Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does any one have a depth finder on there jetboat???

Default does any one have a depth finder on there jetboat???

I'm in the market for a depth finder for my extreme shallow that reads when under power. does anyone have one that works good. Any suggestions would be great.

I have a garmin 389 with a transom mounted P66 airmar transducer, It works well under power. I also have the same airmar transducer plugged into my smart craft gauge. The brackets are spring loaded to pop up when you hit somthing. Some times they do some times they dont. The mounts are pretty cheap if you find them online.
    I have had cheaper transducers that didn't work at all under power. It could have been the silt or me not mounting it correctly but the airmar has been trouble free.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

I have a Humminbird that I have had for quite a-while. Don’t use it much anymore. Works under power just fine. I am on my third transducer. Found out the hard way that by the time it alarmed for shallow water I was on the gravel / sand bar. Don’t use it on rivers anymore – I can find the gravel / sand bars just fine with the bottom of my river boat.

Can't you just look over the side?

I lied its, a p52 with the smartcraft and a p66 with the garmin. Here is the link with the part number if you have a smartcraft gauge.
    http://www.mercurymarine.com/_media/...tall_Sheet.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by f0zzy2 View Post
    I have a garmin 389 with a transom mounted P66 airmar transducer, It works well under power. I also have the same airmar transducer plugged into my smart craft gauge. The brackets are spring loaded to pop up when you hit somthing. Some times they do some times they dont. The mounts are pretty cheap if you find them online.
    I have had cheaper transducers that didn't work at all under power. It could have been the silt or me not mounting it correctly but the airmar has been trouble free.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Quote Originally Posted by pacific23 View Post
    Can't you just look over the side?
    Where is the fun in that?

Took a buddy of mine to California to pick up my new boat and sea trial it , we were out of New Port [ my old stomping grounds ] and I said "Hey Wayne, the water under us is over a 1/4 mile deep" He walked to the port side and looks over like he going to see the ocean floor.
    That's when I started laughing.

On a jet boat use a "in hull" transducer.
    Vexilar, garmin (maybe even Lowrance, probably others?) make them or you can use just about any stsndard transducers will the proeper epoxy also, generally will connect to a existing depthfinder, You will not have to worry about knocking them off.
    There has been many threads here on this subject, do a search and you should find plenty of good info..........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Akgramps, you beat me to it! Why put it on the outside of the boat where it is so easy to get knocked off? Do a search on here an you will find lots of info. Shoot through (no drilling a hole) the aluminum floor!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I have an Eagle Seafinder 480DF that has worked well for the last 8 years. I chose this particular finder after having used several less expensive models mainly due to the fact that it has a high speed transducer and is supposed to be good to 1500ft for the saltwater trips (seperate story there). This is a clip from the website: High-performance, low-profile 50/200 kHz Skimmer® dual-frequency transducer with built-in temp sensor delivers an extra wide angle of fish detection area with high sensitivity settings - Operates at boat speeds up to 70 mph (61 kts)

For a jet boat a depth finder only provides certain level of assurance that its not to shallow mainly due to the fact that the transducer is mounted on the transom and you are generally traveling at a decent/high rate of speed. That said if the transducer isn't capable of high speed operation (which alot are not) then it will be of no use. I try to avoid super shallow areas but I have been in a few and have yet to stick my boat. Some would say I'm not driving it hard enough but the thought of scratches or damage to the bottom is simply something I don't want.

Only thing I would change is that I went with the grey scale model and knowing what I know now the extra few bucks for color imo would be well worth it.

Thanks Guys, does a thru hule transducer go through aluminum??

I was told by a garmin dealer that an "in hull" transducer would not penetrate aluminum. Can anyone confirm if that is true? Can it? or not? I Asked about it and was told that the rear outside hull mounting is what is ususally used on an aluminum boat. Broke it once and would love to get rid of it if the "in hull" thing is true.

Thanx and please advise... "fishon"

num

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    On a jet boat use a "in hull" transducer.
    Vexilar, garmin (maybe even Lowrance, probably others?) make them or you can use just about any stsndard transducers will the proeper epoxy also, generally will connect to a existing depthfinder, You will not have to worry about knocking them off.
    There has been many threads here on this subject, do a search and you should find plenty of good info..........
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by sheffrey View Post
    drill a hole add gasket and sealent and done..make sure there is a rubber gasket on both sides..and some 5200 around hole...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I did a lot of research this winter on this very subject. I bought a Garmin 546s due to the time I take my 21' Hewescraft Riverrunner out in the salt. I did bought the unit as a combo with the cheaper transducer that came with it which I plan to run in the rivers (as needed) and I bought a garmin TM260 to use out in the salt. If you want a thru hull type of ducer there is a really cool one called the alumaducer which a lot of people like. The only reason I didnt go with it is the bottom of my boat has a bunch of minor scratches and some dents in the area where the ducer needs to mount and they say that will distort the return to the ducer.

Good luck in your hunt, there are several good units out there, you just need to decide what you are going to use it for.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by sheffrey View Post
    "thru hole" means a hole in the hull, "in hull" means no hole in the hull, both work, on a riverboat I prefer a in hull and you can buy t-ducers that are desinged for that purpose or you can use a regular t-ducer, nothing special. Thanks to Music Man I decided to use the dual beam https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=395&pID=85635 that came with my 400c.
    Works on the river and reads to 600 ft in the ocean ok. Its handy in the river but it wont save your bacon as things happen way to fast to avoid, learn to read the water, you can feel the boat hump up when its shallow, then you could look at your depth finder and say "oh my"........have you used the search feature on here? tons have been written......
    TR

I really wanted the thru hull but was worried if it would shoot threw UHMW. Thats why I went with the transom mount. What do you guys think would it be accurate threw 3/16 aluminum and 3/8 UHMW?

f0zzy2: It might work if there is absolutely no air gap between the UHMW and the aluminum, but I would do a temporary test first. It will work through the Aluminum!! My hull is .250 an have no problems at 49mph down the Yetna.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

what i fail to grasp though, is by the time the depth finder picks up on shallow water, you are allready piled up??? I can see a depth finder for fish and anchorages and whatnot, but for running a river?? Really?

Read the water. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by akboater80 View Post
    what i fail to grasp though, is by the time the depth finder picks up on shallow water, you are allready piled up??? I can see a depth finder for fish and anchorages and whatnot, but for running a river?? Really?

Read the water. Period.
    Reading the river should be your first action but a depth finder confirms what you think the depth is. When I get pretty shallow I feel the boat lift along with my butt tighten. I don't read a screen when I am playing in that shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    I was told by a garmin dealer that an "in hull" transducer would not penetrate aluminum. Can anyone confirm if that is true? Can it? or not? I Asked about it and was told that the rear outside hull mounting is what is ususally used on an aluminum boat. Broke it once and would love to get rid of it if the "in hull" thing is true.

Thanx and please advise... "fishon"num

What the dealer said is incorrect, they will shoot thru aluminum with no loss, I was skeptical at first, so I attached a identical ducer on the transom, switched back & forth several times and always read the same.............
    TR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast