Thread: PWS Black Bear

Default PWS Black Bear

I've been put in charge of organizing my scout troops big trip for this spring/summer. We will be going from May 29th to June 2nd, with four boys including myself. We will have access to a 29ft. Ocean boat and will be able to get around pretty well.

For all of the boys attending, except for myself, this will be their first experience for hunting and I'm trying to make this a successful positive experience so that they might wish to continue in hunting or at least have a better understanding of ethical hunting. The downside is we won't have access to the boat until the time of the trip, so scoping out the area for prospects on where to hunt is not very possible.

My question is(probably will catch some flack for this)....are there any of the public use cabins out there that are better than others? Also what are some GENERAL areas that could produce some black bears for these first time hunters? Any help or info on the area would help as I have spent basically zero time in PWS.

I didn't think the BSA allowed firearms on "officially" sanctioned BSA outings? I know they offer shooting merit badges with certified instructors, etc but didn't think you could even bring along a pistol for bear defense while camping?

Now if you are going hunting and invite these boys along on a hunt trip, not a BSA event, then that would be different and something they will remember forever.

There is a nice cabin around Culross Passage. Forgot the exact location but we stayed there about 20 years ago. Believe it had 4 bunks and a stove. Would bet money it is already booked for the summer though.

Generally speaking, the closer you are to a cabin the less critters you will see so this means getting 10 miles away or so before you start cruising and glassing the hill's and beaches for bears.

You will need some way to get to shore from the bigger boat because if you are the only adult would not recommend you beach the boat while you stalk a blackie because the tide can go out and leave you stranded if you are away for any length of time.

Its not allowed by boy scouts(12-16) but as all the boys attending the trip are venture/varsity scouts(16-18) who are allowed to hunt. We will also have a leader that is a NRA certified range master along on the trip. BSA may not fully support hunting, but it is also the leaders choice whether or not to allow and support hunting in the meetings.

We will have a smaller skiff to get ashore, there will also be a few(1-3) more adults attending.

Your best bet is going to be tent camping. I cant imagine any of the cabins are still available, they book up 6 months in advance.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Bird Brain's right. I don't have the time to verify but my wife was just mentioning that, once again, we missed the window for this season. You might be able to find one during the week or late in the year but most the good ones and particularly on weekends are gone 6 months ago.

Your best bet is to tent camp. I'd also be happy to help out if I can. PM me if I can help and if not post up another thread about best tent camping spots in the areas you are thinking about going. Good luck regardless