Thread: Taxidermy and direct sunlight...

Default Taxidermy and direct sunlight...

Just had a question here: Does direct sunlight affect taxidermy in any way? ....just wondering because did some re- arranging and moved some mounts that are exposed to sunlight directly thru some large windows.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Just had a question here: Does direct sunlight affect taxidermy in any way? ....just wondering because did some re- arranging and moved some mounts that are exposed to sunlight directly thru some large windows.
    Direct sunlight will bleach out your mounts.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://www.alaskahuntplanning.com/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

And fluorescent light will turn white mounts darker.....

The Ultra Violet rays from the sun coming through a window actually burn the hair or fur.

It does look like it is bleaching them out very quickly. If you touch the hair on a mount that has been in the sun too long or Behind a window , the hair will Crumble in your fingers.

You can though order specially treated windows that will almost eliminate this effect but not all the way.

We are doing a show room for Cannon Safe company & they put the treated windows in , but they spaired no expense, of coarse with all the animals we are putting in the room, its a neccesety.

You can get the treated windows from any dealer that sells Jeld-Wen windows.

If you do not protects ANY MOUNTS from the sun, they will deteriorate Very fast. Especially with 24 hours a day sun light.

Thanks for the info. guys....thats good to know. Guess I'll be re-arranging again.

There is a film out there that a company puts on windows, a tint of some sort and it also keeps heat in the house. Neighbors in my area have it on their houses, quite a few actually. I think they may be at the Home Show this weekend at the Sulivan arena. I know not much info for you but there are products out there and maybe no need for new fancy windows.

I checked into the tinting film & in most cases at least a couple years ago did not repel the UV rays.
    Yes it keeps the sun heat down but the rays of the sun are are the ones doing the damage.

I sure would check on that though, they might have invcented some new product.

Didn't find the window tint people, but didn't look to hard after hearing an owner of contractor company has replaced windows after a few years of the tint being installed. The glass up here installed backwards with the due to the local codes. So this stresses the glass and causes them to crack. Plus like protaxidermy stated, they may not reduce all the UV rays anyways. Just giving an update on the info I found out.

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    I checked into the tinting film & in most cases at least a couple years ago did not repel the UV rays.
    Yes it keeps the sun heat down but the rays of the sun are are the ones doing the damage.

I sure would check on that though, they might have invcented some new product.
    Interesting. The UV protective films have been around for quite some time. Here is a 3M product that fits the bill: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...s/Residential/
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.