Thread: Ling candy

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default Ling candy

That's just sexy there, I don't care who you are!Ling cod anyone.jpg

Looking good.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I don't care what they eat, as along as I can eat them. Take them over halibut anyday!! Just watch out for the bear trap as you bring them on board

Saw the ad on Craigslist. I'm off to Cali for a week, but I'll take a few when I get back.

Nice jigs. How many oz are ther?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Sent ya a PM
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

akriverrat when you powder paint these jigs did you have to use a taller cup on your fluid bed?
    The cups I have are 3"x3" with the airstone type bottoms. I am thinking I may need to add an extension to them when I get to doing these I have the 5oz,7oz, and 9oz Flutter jig molds.
    I am slo wondering if you have tried dipping the top half in one color and the bottom half in a different color?
    I can't wait to get some done and try them out.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    akriverrat when you powder paint these jigs did you have to use a taller cup on your fluid bed?
    The cups I have are 3"x3" with the airstone type bottoms. I am thinking I may need to add an extension to them when I get to doing these I have the 5oz,7oz, and 9oz Flutter jig molds.
    I am slo wondering if you have tried dipping the top half in one color and the bottom half in a different color?
    I can't wait to get some done and try them out.
    I made my own fluid bed using 2" abs pipe with a coupler as a base. Allergy pillow case in place of the airstone some 1/4 inch tube with a hose barb screwed into the base and aquarium pump with inline regulator, works like a champ. Some colors act funny and are hard to tame but that's the nature of powder castigated and nothing to do with my bed. I'm kinda a near freak when it comes to my jigs and I haven't figured out how to get the clean line on a half and half jig, simply dipping will work but there will be no clean line as the powder acts like a slow rolling boil when you have it set just right. Masking will give you two clean lines and a non colored strip. If you figure it out lemme know and have fun with your new bed!

That way if I need a taller cup I just whack off a longer piece of abs, sorry I forgot to explain. Thanks gray, these particular ones are 7 and 9oz.... for the big boys!

I just started collecting lead to make 24 oz jig for this upcoming season. Nothing fancy likes yours.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    I made my own fluid bed using 2" abs pipe with a coupler as a base. Allergy pillow case in place of the airstone some 1/4 inch tube with a hose barb screwed into the base and aquarium pump with inline regulator, works like a champ. Some colors act funny and are hard to tame but that's the nature of powder castigated and nothing to do with my bed. I'm kinda a near freak when it comes to my jigs and I haven't figured out how to get the clean line on a half and half jig, simply dipping will work but there will be no clean line as the powder acts like a slow rolling boil when you have it set just right. Masking will give you two clean lines and a non colored strip. If you figure it out lemme know and have fun with your new bed!
    Thanks for the reply. I have done some standard type jigs in mine before but nothing long like these flutter jigs.
    I have the stuff to make some taller cups and I may try to adapt to a 2" so I dont have to put in so much paint.
    I also just bought a 14oz Torpedo jig mold as well and that is a longer style jig only rounder almost like a test tube bottom on each end only tapered with an eye for a hook on each side and one on the top if that makes sense. A skirt on this style jig finishes it off.
    I have an actual jig like this in a 20oz and I love it. The problem is the factory eyes are brass and even small butts have twisted off the eyes. Especially when I am trying to unhoook one and it starts to thrash. Holding the jig tight keeps the other hook out of my hand but allows the fish enough leverage to break the brass eye sometimes.
    I was only able to find a 14oz style mold but it should work good and I am going to use a much tougher Stainless steel eye. I have some short eyes and long ones and I hope the longer ones fit my new mold.
    I like to use Stainless steel eyes in all of my saltwater jigs and sinkers.
    I am going to expirement with doing a multi color dip. I may just end up using the brush method to add some powder paint accents.
    I will be sure to post some pictures of the finished product when I get some done.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

akriverrat, Went out of Whittier on Sunday and tried one of your jigs. We had 4 guys on the boat. I let one guy use the 9 oz blue jig. He was the only one to catch fish the whole day. Caught 4 rockfish. 1 being a very nice yelloweye. That was just a test run so I guess I know what jigs I'll be using from now on. Thanks.

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

In addition to my 7 and 9 oz flutters, I'll also be throwing 2 & 3 ounce flutters for rockfish and silvers this season. Working on my fluid bed right now.....
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"