Thread: Halibut Jig Skirts?

Default Halibut Jig Skirts?

So I recently ordered some new Halibut jig molds and am in the process of ordering everything I will need to make them.
    I already had some molds and a fluid bed for the powder coating. Ordered some more powder paint and the hooks for the new molds as well as the 3D eyes etc.
    The one piece I am lacking is the skirts sized for halibut. I am looking for something like the Delta tackle double skirt.
    I can buy them at the local box store but figured if I was going to buy from a box store why not order online and save a little $$$.
    Cheapest I could find online was from halibut.net at a price of $2.20 each with shipping if you buy the 5 packs. I tried deltas website and followed their links but nobody had them for a decent price.Most were running $7-$8 per 2 pack.
    Anybody have a cheaper/better source of these type skirts?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

It's been about two years since I stocked up but when I did last I got the best value a Charkbait and Melton tackle. I have no idea if that still holds true but will at least give you two places to check out. ~Mist~

Check out the blue water sources for trolling skirts, both tuna and marlin size. We call them hoochies, but they call them skirts. They come in a lot more sizes and colors than you see in most salmon racks, and they can be cheaper, too. I just picked up a bunch from Bass Pro Shop, and they worked out to be about half the price I pay in local stores for hoochies. You can also find nylon "hair" from some of those sources for not much money. I picked up 4-oz bundles (enough for about 100 average halibut jigs) for $12 each IIRC at one shop a couple of years back. You use it like bucktail. It comes in bundles about 12" long, so you can cut it to any length you want.

Thanks for the ideas guys. After looking some more online it seems the ones I found online at halibut.net are still going to be the cheapest ones in the sizes and styles that I like. Comes out to $2.20 each shipped if I buy them in the 5 packs.
    I know they sometimes have them at places like Trustworthy in Soldotna for a decent price but they don't always have them and they aren't always on sale.

Ebay has a ton of them and they are cheaper. Just search Halibut and you are going to find a lot of them. What colors are you going to go with? Here is a sample of what they have. http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-X-4-SUPERT...item2c5eb11982

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Ebay has a ton of them and they are cheaper. Just search Halibut and you are going to find a lot of them. What colors are you going to go with? Here is a sample of what they have. http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-X-4-SUPERT...item2c5eb11982
    Yeah I checked EBAY. Most of them cost more than Halibut.net after you figure in the shipping. The ones that were cheaper were cheaper in quality also I believe.
    Either way the price isn't going to kill me at $2.20 each so I will probably order some.
    I like the glow colors but also any of the brighter colors appeal to me and the butts don't seem to mind either. I think it has more to do with the tentacle like motion it provides vs the color anyway.
    Shipping kills us on everything up here. Living in MN does have a few advantages for you even if you don't have our great fishing.

I just scored some Boneyard Grubs for 2.20 each and shipping was reasonable. I would like to see some pics of your jigs when you get done. I did look on Halibut.net and they do look like good quality skirts. I do like jigging for butts. Soaking bait is not all but it sure is fun to feel them hit it and then be able to set the hook!

Yeah, even Basspro beats them. Here is their skirt page. Pick your size and the price goes up and down. But a 5-pack of 4 1/2" is only $3.49.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Yeah, even Basspro beats them. Here is their skirt page. Pick your size and the price goes up and down. But a 5-pack of 4 1/2" is only $3.49.
    Yes basspro is cheaper for the 4 1/2" skirts you list but any bigger and you get fewer in the package for the same price.
    I also like the idea of the double skirt. The bass pro ones arent as full. Not that they wouldn't work but I was looking for some more like the ones on Halibut.net. I might order a few to try as basspro has treated me pretty good in the past on shipping and such.
    I think I will see what I like looking at jigs and skirts in the store and decide witch ones I want to try and then order them after I have decided on sizes and color patterns.
    I will be making 12,14,16,20,and 24 oz jigs so will probably need more than one size.
    Thanks again for the replies guys.

The product on Halibut.net looks identical to what Delta Tackle sells-colourwise anyway.

Where did you get your jig molds? I'm having trouble finding anything over 4 oz. Thanks

Do a google search for Hilts molds, they make bullet head molds up to I believe 24 oz.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kbarnes View Post
    Where did you get your jig molds? I'm having trouble finding anything over 4 oz. Thanks
    I got these jigs from Do-It. They go all the way up to 20 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by kbarnes View Post

Do it makes the spire point in 12,16,and 20 oz. The flutter jig in 7 and 9 oz and the ultra Minnow in 5,6, and 8 oz.
    The cheapest shop to buy from is Zeiners bass shop.
    I bought mine from Barlows tackle because they also had the powder paint and other stuff I needed.
    Much cheaper than buying straight from do it.
    I also bought a 24 oz bullet head jig mold from hilts.
    They are now owned by Dolphin sports and only available from directly from them.
    Barlows also has all your jig parts like hooks and eyes reflective tape,paint etc. I use stainless steel eyes as they are much more durable than the brass ones and those also come from Barlows.
    These molds range from @$30-@$75.
    With all the added costs including lead and paint,eyes,etc it isn't really a cost savings unless you loose a dozen or more of the same jig each year.
    More like fly tying I guess. There is joy in catching fish on something you made yourself.
    I am going to try and find some good skirts at the sportsmans show since I have to be in Anchorage anyway and we planned to go to the show while there.