Thread: harding lake

Default harding lake

is there lots of fish in harding this year

average but cold nites and mornings makes fishing sloooooow.

does that mean they barely feed for 8 months ? Some of our best days have come in weather we didnt belong being out on that lake! Though that was a number of years back now before the ice craze on harding caught on. We seemed to have less lookers and more takers.

yea fish and game stocked harding big time n early 2ks. less little guys now for them to gobble up lately. now just waiten 4 there turn again bein pulled up to the white lite

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Laker Hunter View Post
    yea fish and game stocked harding big time n early 2ks. less little guys now for them to gobble up lately. now just waiten 4 there turn again bein pulled up to the white lite
    hmmm
    From ADFG stocking report info:
    Jun 07, 2011 Harding L Arctic Char 4,561 54.4 Triploid (sterile)
    Sep 01, 2011 Harding L Arctic Char 2,313 11.7
    Triploid (sterile)

I think the big fish are eating just fine. Maybe thats why they are so healthy and less ready to take. Those numbers are the amount and weight.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    does that mean they barely feed for 8 months ? Some of our best days have come in weather we didnt belong being out on that lake! Though that was a number of years back now before the ice craze on harding caught on. We seemed to have less lookers and more takers.
    I have fished the lake since 2002 a handful of times every year. I have not seen any big change in the amount of people on the lake ice fishing when I go out...nor when I get reports from friends out fishing the lake. BAD WEATHER: Here is a video from a couple years ago when the Chinook came in and melted the snow in January

http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_vid...a11331e7c00e73

i was refering to 1999 29k, 2001 15k 2003 30,000 and 2003 26,000 fish were stocked last two years small n comparision. so less for them to eat than years past. oh well plenty medium sized lakers and char. The best thing so far was a 5lbs char that i caught and released had pike bite alround mid section and he lived to get away.

Have you been marking the bait fish schools in the lake?

yea seen many clouds of waves of them. sum times looks like a big fish till zoom in on them. when bored from lack of hookin big boys thought it would b fun to lower a small micro hook to try catch sumof them . get bored alot prayen and cussin over hole sum times.

have you seen the 50 foot thick bait balls yet?+ I was geared up to head out today and couldnt get the blasted auger to start....new fuel and some starting fluid and she started right up...thats after working a 12 hour shift, and screwing off getting gear ready this morning after work....ended up just crashing lol. Those big bait balls are the least ciscoes....the bait fish you are looking for and atleast from we've seen the preferred feed on the big lakers and char in the lake. Harding is plugged with baitfish, dont be fooled! Unless the ciscoes have declined in the last few years. I'm sure the stocking helps....when you start catching pigs barfing them up over and over again you'll connect the dots. The two I've kept 1 laker and 1 char, both were plugged with them and snails, no rainbows.

as for pressure....wish we could talk some time Jedi, and you could sit down with the crew that intially fished that lake, we've had this conversation (me and the gues that started on the lake in the late 90's) recently and their story has changed. I always look when heading out checking traps and normally dont see many or any people, but the pics on this site and another have shown something.....along with the interest F&G has taken by reducing hooks and the mortality rate studies done not so long ago.

The big factor in pressure is people realizing, which I am sure most on here already do, is those 30lb fish are in the 30 year age class. Harding is not known for great reproduction (studies done as early is 06-08 time frame if memory serves me correct). With the pressure in summer and the success rate in winter jumping from most catching little to a number doing well, pressure takes on a hole new meaning.

I bet at one point people never gave thoght to the pike being closed in that lake. So when you share the wealth, I hope those who are getting hand fed, are getting the full picture. That early crew has come around, but it's taken years for them to do so. Traps are put up, ice gear is out, sleds greased and ready, see ya on the big lake!

speaking of lakers, if anyone gets the itch, and wants to hit the denali, holler.

Default New Store?

As slow as it has been out on the lake lately I thought I was actually at this place Three trips and no fish.

From Hero to Zero in 1 trip.Sum times u feel like u ate the whole box by urself . got to luv all the things u think of when ur sitten over your hole with a limp line. hours after hrs at Harding