Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Made Camo Autoloader Shotgun Recommendation

Default American Made Camo Autoloader Shotgun Recommendation

Is there such a thing as and American made Camo Autoloader?

Checked out Winchester SX3 ~ really liked but said made in Belgium and imported through Utah.
    The Winchester XTR 101 I've been shooting for 25 years was made in Japan.

Asked if the dealer new of any other American made Camo Autoloaders and he thought maybe Remington.

I said, I'd seen the Versa Max on the Outdoor Channel so he handed me one.
    The forearm was loose like a pump gun and both he and I tried to tighten the knob with no help.
    Further investigation reveled the entire barrel and magazine assembly loose at the receiver.

I did do a search to see if there was anything specific on this topic but didn't find anything ~ forgive me if I've missed it. Don't spend too much time on this particular forum.

The only one that comes to my mind is Mossberg.

I am suprised to hear that about the Versa Max. I wonder if somebody didn't reassemble it correctly when they pulled it out of the box.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I figure it may not have been assembled correctly but was suprised when the employee just stuck to back in the rack and went on to help the next customer. Seems like a reputable gun ~ at least in the commercials...wonder if thet guy's still shooting rounds through it??? LoL

I looked up Mossbergs and found several options. That 935 Magnum turkey / waterfowl combo is nice.
    Looks like they don't shoot 2 3/4 inch though they do shoot 3 & 3.5 inch.
    Only thing that concerns me some is the price seems pretty low so I'm not sure about the quality...
    I know that even with the less expensive Rems and Wins the lower priced models do not seem well built.
    I will see if I can locate one locally and get a feel for it.
    While I didn't provide peramiters in the OP, I expected to spend somewhere around $12-1400.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    The only one that comes to my mind is Mossberg.

I am suprised to hear that about the Versa Max. I wonder if somebody didn't reassemble it correctly when they pulled it out of the box.

I'm pretty sure the Super X3 is made in US. Great shotgun. Need to find a dealership where they know guns, stay out of Sportsmans, most don't know much. Versamax is a great shotgun, has a couple of quirks to taking it apart and putting it together, obviously someone didn't put it back together right. First time you do it, will have you wondering. Most shotguns you replace the barrel, etc with the bolt open. With the Versamax you do it closed. Been a long time since I played with one but that's what I remember about it.

I really like the SX3 as it shoulders very well and sight alignment seems natural. Many different forums' review has great things to say about this model. Might be wrong but thought I recalled reading Browning FN Belgium stmped right on the barrel just ahead of the receiver and above the forarm. If I'm not dreaming, it even says something like Imported by [something ~ something] Utah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Paw Jack View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Super X3 is made in US. Great shotgun. Need to find a dealership where they know guns, stay out of Sportsmans, most don't know much. Versamax is a great shotgun, has a couple of quirks to taking it apart and putting it together, obviously someone didn't put it back together right. First time you do it, will have you wondering. Most shotguns you replace the barrel, etc with the bolt open. With the Versamax you do it closed. Been a long time since I played with one but that's what I remember about it.

Winchester was bought by FN, who own browning. I know they still make the model 70's in the US but I'm not sure about the shotguns. I would much rather have a Winchester, Browning, Beretta, or Benelli than a Mossberg. If you are looking for a high quality shotgun you will probably have to buy a foreign one. Provided you don't buy the Versa Max.

Right on...I try hard to buy American made and am constantly finding it harder and harder to do ~ whether it's solid-wood furniture, vehicles, or guns. I have my opinions on why that is but will save that for another discussion. I do appreciate the responses to my question.

Winchester was bought by FN, who own browning. I know they still make the model 70's in the US but I'm not sure about the shotguns. I would much rather have a Winchester, Browning, Beretta, or Benelli than a Mossberg. If you are looking for a high quality shotgun you will probably have to buy a foreign one. Provided you don't buy the Versa Max.

I have the moss 935, it is a alright gun. but right now it is in the process of getting fixed. had 2 problems with it so far. PM me if you want to know the details.

All of the Winchester shotguns are made in Belgium. That includes the SX series autoloaders and the SP series slide action guns. If I were to give credit where credit is due, I'd have to say they're good guns, but I can't get over it. Winchester is as American as apple pie, as American as Chevrolet. To see a Winchester made abroad is like seeing a Chevy truck made in Mexico...waaaaaaait a minute!....

The current production Model 70 rifles are made in Columbia, SC, along side the M16's and M60's made for the military. All of their lever guns are made in Japan. I initially applauded Winchester for resurrecting the Model 92, until I saw that it was made in Japan AND cost $1600. Common sense almost forces you to buy a foreign made gun. Ticks me off.

I don't know much about the Remington and Ruger lines, but I know that Remington is selling a couple of SxS guns that are made in Eastern Europe someplace.

I don't believe that Winchester will ever be the company it once was. It's sad. My family has bled Winchester red for at least 3 generations, but they don't even make a 22 that I could buy and give to my son. His first gun will be Henry. =(

Selling Winchester to a French company...what's next? might as well sell Smith&Wesson to a British firm...Waaaaaaait a minute!

I agree 100% with you FL2AK, the most iconic American rifle ever made is now made in Japan, that is very sad! I love Winchester lever action rifles. There is nothing like them. They are the finest lever action rifles ever made. In my opinion they are the most beautiful guns ever produced. I am always on the look out for them at gun shows or pawn shops.

I bought one of the Miroku Japan 1886 models in 45/70 a while back, though I consider it a non genuine Winchester rifle. It's a replica/clone, even though it has Winchester stamped on the side of it. At least its a gun you can shoot. The Miroku Japan rifles seem to be well made, and they shoot fine, but to me it's still a fake without the "Manufactured by Winchester Repeating Arms Co, New Haven Conn. USA" stamped on the barrel or tang.

Ruger has stopped making shotguns entirely. So if you find a red label it may be an investment, like the Gold Labels became.

And those Henry lever .22's are great rifles. I bet your kid will love it! Or you can try to find him a Winchester 9422. I always see one or two of them at the gun shows.

At least we still have Colt!

Went to Boondocks in Eagle River and worked past the "standard chaos" and eventually got information on and was able to check out Remington's Versa Max Waterfowl edition. This one was properly assembled and shouldered/sighted pretty well. The soft butt pad did hang up on my lightweight outerwear so I'd be looking at changing to a plastic cap similar to what Winchester uses. Is it just me? I do not find Boondocks’ environment conducive to making me reach for my wallet to accommodate their cash only policy. The only folding money I've used in the past dozen years or so has been at the car wash, coffee shop or a rare vending machine purchase. I could understand if they didn't want to bother with credit cards in order to pass on savings to their customers but I didn't see a difference in their pricing...Back on topic ~ Remington's pretty much the only American made mid-grade camo autoloader shotgun I can find. Starting to lean more toward the Remington versus the Winchester not because it feels better [because I personally think the Winchester feels more natural] but because I'd really like to support our own economy.

At least we still have Colt!
    Funny you should mention that. There was some talk in the house a while back about purchasing a 44 for backpacking/fishing, and the first thing to my mind was "I wonder if Colt still makes a 44." I decided against any handgun, but it made me think.

I had heard that the Japanese clones were actually good rifles, which makes it all the worse. I can't get past the extreme price tags, though. If I'm buying a Winchester clone, I'll buy the Rossi clones made in Brazil. 1/4 the price and very good rifles.

I liked your comment about New Haven, but I think Winchesters made in another state is better than none at all. That said, I give them no support over this whole Belgian shotgun/Japanese lever gun thing. All of mine are pre-64's, and I've just received my C&R license so that I can have them sent to my door direct. (Makes it hard to find legal waterfowl ammo for the shotguns, which is why I didn't suggest it to the original poster.)

I am moving a couple "collectables" to get a [new model] functional autoloader. Both .22's though ~ Pre '64 Winchester and a Buckskin 572 Remington. Both were given to me and they just sit in the safe...

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    "All of mine are pre-64's, and I've just received my C&R license so that I can have them sent to my door direct. (Makes it hard to find legal waterfowl ammo for the shotguns, which is why I didn't suggest it to the original poster.)"

I had a feeling they didn't assemble it right. I have heard nothing but good things about the Versa Max, so I bet it will be a good gun for you.

AKluvr95, what model Winchester .22 are you referring too? I may be interested.

PM Sent ~ left me know if you'd like to arrange to see it.

I had a feeling they didn't assemble it right. I have heard nothing but good things about the Versa Max, so I bet it will be a good gun for you.

Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    PM Sent ~ left me know if you'd like to arrange to see it.
    Darn it! Too late lol.

I own several Remington model 11-87 both of which are made in the USA and my newest one was purchased simply because it came in camo.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

I may have overlooked the 11-87 in the super max waterfowl class... I do have a couple Remington's but really could use some feedback on both the Versa Max and now the 11-87. Really I thought he said 11-87 when I looked at the gun initially (the owner? and the sales associate were arguing about some banking issue and I may have been de-railed) so I guess I'm back to square one on this project.

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    I own several Remington model 11-87 both of which are made in the USA and my newest one was purchased simply because it came in camo.

So I researched the 11-87 super mag waterfowl [leaves only the sportsman] and now I remembered why I didn't include it ~ discontinued....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast