Thread: lynx mounts

Default lynx mounts

I was fortunate enough to be out hunting the other day and get a couple of nice lynx. My wife suggested that maybe we should get one full mounted which shocked me because i was just going to get them tanned and hang them. I was thinking either getting one swiping at a rabbit or grabbing a ptarmagin. Has anyone gotten any lynx full mounted and who would you reccomend for a taxidermist? Any info or pictures is appreciated. Thanks
    ~Justin

I got my first trapping this year which was 38 inches. I had the same ideal. I live here in Soldotna, so my prices were for this area. A basic mount from 3 reputable places were 1100 to 1500 for the basic mount ( WOW REally that much!!!) was my reaction. If I want them with a Hare or Ptarmagin and also depending if I wanted false rocks up to 2500 or more. so I choosed the tanned rug cut. which is sent out of state for 175. I sew some felt on it and throw it over the couch. look on the internet for pictures to see what poses you like. I would call around. get recommendations. This is my first time getting anything worked on. Everyone says you get what you pay for has been the first comments. Hope this helps out

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    I was fortunate enough to be out hunting the other day and get a couple of nice lynx. My wife suggested that maybe we should get one full mounted which shocked me because i was just going to get them tanned and hang them. I was thinking either getting one swiping at a rabbit or grabbing a ptarmagin. Has anyone gotten any lynx full mounted and who would you reccomend for a taxidermist? Any info or pictures is appreciated. Thanks
    ~Justin

I have seen quite a few really bad cats! There are really great taxis out there that do many animals fantastic but just can't seem to get cats to look right. I do agree with the "you get what you pay for" in the extent that a good cat guy costs good money. Unfortunately it is completely possible to spend the same money and end up with an ugly mount. When it comes to cats especially look at their work on other cats before choosing.

Yes I agree This was the other point that fellow trapper had told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have seen quite a few really bad cats! There are really great taxis out there that do many animals fantastic but just can't seem to get cats to look right. I do agree with the "you get what you pay for" in the extent that a good cat guy costs good money. Unfortunately it is completely possible to spend the same money and end up with an ugly mount. When it comes to cats especially look at their work on other cats before choosing.

yeah, thats why i was hoping someone had one done recently that turned out well. I also have seen some god awful cat mounts (bobcat,lynx, lions) that look terrible. One eye bigger than the other with a surprised look on their face. I'd hate to shell out a couple grand for something that i'd want to hide. Thanks for the responses guys i'll keep looking to see what i can find out. thinking knights but haven't seen any cats they've done. my buddy just got a full mount wolverine done that looked amazing.

I know I keep pointing people too him, I should stop really or his wait list (if he hasnt already put a cease and desist out due too to much buisness) gets too long. I've seen a pedistal cat I almost had the perfect cat for this year. Rich Hamilton does fantastic work! You can see his work at the sports show or look him up. Browtine taxidermy. He's a one man operation whose nack for details is not beat in this town! When it comes to heads, specifically fur bearer heads they look pretty dang awesome! He also had a 3 wolf head and a fox in a pedistal mount. He's not cheap but like said you'll get what you pay for and imho you wont regret it!

I had Kathy at Foxy Beaver taxidermy in Big Lake do my full body Lynx and it turned out great. I looked for the right taxidermist since the face on cats are so hard to do. Go to her website and checkout her mounts, you won't be dissappointed. I love in North Pole and we worked out a good deal to get my cat to her and back to me. 6-9 months turn around. I have no regrets having her do it and I'd have her do all my mounts in the future.

http://www.foxybeavertaxidermy.com/
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Don't let price get in the way of getting a nice mount. Alot of people try and find the cheapest price around and then they complain when their mount isn't what they were expecting. Cats can look fake but so can any other mount if the right steps arent taken during the mounting process. Here is what my full body Lynx mount looks like. Hope this helps.

nice looking mount there. i'm still looking around. i'm not trying to get off cheap i just want it to look good. people can still charge a lot and it might still look off.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    I had Kathy at Foxy Beaver taxidermy in Big Lake do my full body Lynx and it turned out great. I looked for the right taxidermist since the face on cats are so hard to do. Go to her website and checkout her mounts, you won't be dissappointed. I love in North Pole and we worked out a good deal to get my cat to her and back to me. 6-9 months turn around. I have no regrets having her do it and I'd have her do all my mounts in the future.

http://www.foxybeavertaxidermy.com/
    I just looked at this site....and I hope you were kidding. I didn't see a "lol" or a smiley face.... I'd be PO'd if my cat turned out like some of those on that page.

My advice: look around, and look around some more. Cats are the hardest. HARDEST!!!! their faces just require the touch, or whatever. Just not for everyone to do.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

well the one i had her do for me turned out great. What didn't you like about the cats on her website?
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Cats are the hardest for sure. Find someone who can make the cats face look "real". I am done commenting on taxidermy work as the sheep I have seen on here I do not like at all. Seems too much effort is put into putting wrinkles, etc. into them and they just don't look right to me. Plus capes are virgin white. I've only seem one dead ram that made me say, dang, that this is white as snow! All the others have been off white and that is how I want my ram mounted as.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    well the one i had her do for me turned out great. What didn't you like about the cats on her website?
    Faces. and eyes. She just missed on that. Like it's been said by lots: cats are hard to do BECAUSE of getting their face just right. It's hard! For every good mount i've seen, i've seen 100 that aren't. The real issues is if you're happy. Thats all that matters!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

if you go to my profile page you can see the before and after photos of the mount she did for me, i don't know how to post those photos on here.