Thread: haines salmon derby in may

Default haines salmon derby in may

I believe there is a salmon derby in haines on the last weeekend of may and the 1st weekend of june.Anyone take part in this over the last few years? Just wondering if there is any decent chinook fishing in haines anymore. Or is the chinook fishing better down between haines and juneau?

saw some pics of some nice fish caught after the derby last yr....there's always some decent fish, it's catching them, weather plays a big factor there.....fishings usually not that "hot" it's not like a silver derby, and the returns in haines aren't that big, but it's a good time & they have some good prizes for a weekend or 2 of fun. good luck

The last few years have not been the best with very slow first weekends. They did have a big day on the second weekend when a surge of fish passed through. The winners have been trending to the smaller side as all of Southeast has been. I wish I could say the fishing was on the upswing for King's but that would be wishful thinking.

not sure if your just looking for derby fishing or wanting to catch a king......used to be they were releasing hatchery kings across from Skagway & a guy could catch one most days going out between Skagway & Haines. the fish aren't large but 8-20 lbs & they seemed to be around longer too, south of seduction point i never new of many king spots till you get to the juneau area....good luck