Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else thinking of giving it up?

Default Anyone else thinking of giving it up?

After much consideration, I'm thinking I might give up baiting this year. Just doesn't seem to be worth it anymore. The size of the bears I've been seeing in recent years isn't worth it, nor is trying to find a better spot year after year. Don't see as many bears on the stand as in years past and it's just too expensive to move out and go where it's much better. It's a great way to harvest a meat bear but as for finding a big old bruin the odds just aren't there anymore. Time to move on I'm afraid .
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

not to pick on you pike...not at all.. but you raise voice the argument,..'as to why the state MUST do pred control inareas..

i know you like huntimg bears as i do, and put a lot of effort into it.. but if your willing to give up.. show me Where..the public can cut a population if they are not willing to invest the time,effort, and money...

black bears are second only to caribou, population wise...'they are not inhibited by lack of prey... and continue to grow in numbers...

but giving some guys the tools, are taboo for the emotional pillars they are placed upon..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'm with ya Pike. I am still gonna go bear hunting this year, but I think I am going to forgo feeding the brown bears this year. It's too much work just to have all my bait stolen by a bunch of squirrels and brown bears. I'd rather spend my time more productively. If the state would lighten up and let us remove a few nuisance (browns) bears from the area I'd still do it. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I don't know if I'm going to do it this year or not. I've been discussing it with a couple friends. I spent more time tending to the bait station than hunting over it. This fat ******* ate us out of house and homePRMS0020.jpg
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

I like baiting because it's a great springtime hunt. I actually baited for years without shooting a bear, waiting for a large one. Now I just want the meat and to get out in the spring.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Those that have been hit hard by grizz need to be moved also..'as the grizz will come back year after year, remembering where he got an easy meal..we actully plan on establishing baits in some of the units this year, that will allow the taking of grizz next year. it will take a bit of extra work as i think the grizz need more privacy then the blackies do..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    ....we actully plan on establishing baits in some of the units this year, that will allow the taking of grizz next year...
    Which areas are those?

not to pick on you pike...not at all.. but you raise voice the argument,..'as to why the state MUST do pred control inareas..

i know you like huntimg bears as i do, and put a lot of effort into it.. but if your willing to give up.. show me Where..the public can cut a population if they are not willing to invest the time,effort, and money...

black bears are second only to caribou, population wise...'they are not inhibited by lack of prey... and continue to grow in numbers...

but giving some guys the tools, are taboo for the emotional pillars they are placed upon..
    I get what you are saying, if I do give it up I'd be happy to let someone in on the area I have a bait. It's by no means a secret area and it's a place a guy who wants to bait in the valley without driving forever can feel pretty good about getting a bear or two each year... there are grizz there too. I'm at the point though I'd rather go look around PWS and chase one of those real big bears around each year.

Yea, if they'd go to a draw hunt system to bait browns I'd probably do that...
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobnick View Post
    Which areas are those?
    12, 20c'20e,and 21D.

meet on face book here

12, 20c'20e,and 21D.
    i have to look up which..but either 20E, or 21D,, has a fall season that will be open this fall, the others have to wait for the regulations to take effect July 1.. and they dont have fall seasons

meet on face book here

I'm taking a break from baiting this year. I want to let my spot cool off (grizz finally got us last year) and spend more time with my newborn son. I still plan to hunt spring bear, but I'm going to try and do it on foot in the mountains.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I'm not sure what I am going to do this year. I may just run the river for a couple weekends and do some spot and stalk. Only time will tell since time is what is holding me up. I have an area that has a ton of bears but it is so far away that the $4 plus gas is going to put a kink in baiting plans. I figure set up a couple baits up there and let it sit for a week and then sit on it for a couple days and then pull it all.

i have to look up which..but either 20E, or 21D,, has a fall season that will be open this fall, the others have to wait for the regulations to take effect July 1.. and they dont have fall seasons
    Thank you. I didn't know about any of this.

Not me, i'm planning on taking any meat bear(s) this year(of course if a big one comes in..), also have a few others who are planning on taking a bear off my bait as well, plenty of blackies in my bait area. Also debating the merits of establishing a grizz bait site that I picked out for next year, this season as Vince is doing....but I do agree with ya pike, a PWS hunt for big bears would be a blast.

I can understand wanting to give it up, but for me there isnt a chance in HELL. Its so much fun and gets me out of the house after our long cold winters. Finding and putting up new stands are most of the fun. I Cant wait to bring some tasty meat home for my family to eat. Size is only secondary to me. I want a big boar, but a bear is still a bear. So I will bait till they make it illegal or I cant do it, however I am not judging you or anyone for not wanting to deal with the hassle any more.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

I wish I could this year! New responsibilities at work and a young one due any day have me sitting another year out. I hope to at least be able cruise PWS once or twice.

As do I agree wish I could but I was unable to last year due to a Divorce and this year I am putting into it everything I can to get a stand and bait out so hopefully you can find a area that you can find a better spot.. I am trying a new spot this year and hope it works if not at least I got out and tried.. if I am successfull I am in a 3 bear area and I have 2 kids that will be following mine up if itworks out..

I'm looking forward to the upcoming bear baiting season as the camping and bear baiting makes for a nice spring/summer hobby.

If we get brown bears into our area, probably pull the baits and then do some spot and stalk or some predator calling. Don't know how many years I'll bait for bears ... as others say, it takes time and monies.

Good luck everyone.

As bad as I want to bait this year going have to sit it out. Main reason is the cost of fuel for my boat.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

well last year I stoped baiting because I was to busy and gone a lot. But now with the new regisration draw to get a spot through the kenai refugee i really have no interest in dealing with it any more. I guess I will just get one or two bears in the fall in the mountains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast