Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Trip For Soldiers

  1. #1
    Member Bob the fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,011

    Default Trip For Soldiers

    Starting around June, I am wanting to take a couple guys (2 on each trip) fishing (maybe 3-4 trips with different guys over the summer) either to the Knik River (tailrace) for Kings, if they show up this year, or maybe the Little Su, again for Kings and again if they show up this year or down to 20 mile for silvers later in the summer or any suggested spots for salmon or rainbows or lakers or whatever. I don't have any special type of license in order to do that. I have a good safe/reliable (Phantom 60/40) jetboat and as always, I have all the required (and more) safety gear for my boat. Of course, they can bring/use their own gear and pitch in on gas if they want but I would never charge them a fee or anything like that. I sincerely want to thank the soliders that go to war to protect our freedom and this would be my way of doing that. Any idiers??? Please send me a PM with requests or suggestions) ... "fishon"


    Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    The US Army Warrior Transistion Unit at Fort Wainwright conducted an ice fishing trip at Birch Lake yesterday and Alcanron and I were invited to help organize and assist the event.

    About 20 soldiers particpated and most had never ice fished before. The temps hovered around -5 most of the day and the ice was about 3 feet thick. The area was prepared for their arrival by setting up protable ice huts with heaters and punching holes. They arrived in passenger vans and were able to access the lake just fine. The fishing was slow but the soldiers managed to catch a few small fish. Seemed like everyone had a great time.

    This event, and others like this event our Warriors attend, may seem like nothing but fun and games. However, the events serve a direct purpose in the healing process; physically, mentally, and spiritually in their road to recovery while they are in transisiton.

    I wanted to thank the folks at ADF&G for all the equipment which was loaned for the event. I also want to thank all the men and women serving in the US Military both past and present. I challenge everyone to get involved in ways to serve, those that served us.

    Attachment 58062Attachment 58063

    Fish ON!
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    Starting around June, I am wanting to take a couple guys (2 on each trip) fishing (maybe 3-4 trips with different guys over the summer) either to the Knik River (tailrace) for Kings, if they show up this year, or maybe the Little Su, again for Kings and again if they show up this year or down to 20 mile for silvers later in the summer or any suggested spots for salmon or rainbows or lakers or whatever. I don't have any special type of license in order to do that. I have a good safe/reliable (Phantom 60/40) jetboat and as always, I have all the required (and more) safety gear for my boat. Of course, they can bring/use their own gear and pitch in on gas if they want but I would never charge them a fee or anything like that. I sincerely want to thank the soliders that go to war to protect our freedom and this would be my way of doing that. Any idiers??? Please send me a PM with requests or suggestions) ... "fishon"
    Bob great to see your willing to take some folks fishing. A big ! RC, (Bear) works with the Wounded Warrior Brigade on Ft Rich so if your interested I'll pass on your name and contact info. He bought the 24' Phantom Herc 250 Diesel last year so maybe you could team up and take a number of soldiers out for a day of fishing. It would be great if you could share some of your fishing techniques and experience.

    For those that have an ocean boat and would like to participate in Valdez's Military Appreciate day shoot me a pm. I've been participating in the event since and 2005 and coordinate all of the other charters who participate as the PWSCBA president. Private boats can also participate and the good news is Crowley donates all of the fuel expenses for the day for those willing to par take and PeterPan Seafood usually donates the bait. If its's something you might be interested in send me a pm and I'll put you in contact with the POC coordinating all of the boats. The event kicks off with a BBQ in Valdez Saturday June 9th and fishing on June 10th.

  3. #3
    Member Armed_alaskan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Palmer, Alaska
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    Starting around June, I am wanting to take a couple guys (2 on each trip) fishing (maybe 3-4 trips with different guys over the summer) either to the Knik River (tailrace) for Kings, if they show up this year, or maybe the Little Su, again for Kings and again if they show up this year or down to 20 mile for silvers later in the summer or any suggested spots for salmon or rainbows or lakers or whatever. I don't have any special type of license in order to do that. I have a good safe/reliable (Phantom 60/40) jetboat and as always, I have all the required (and more) safety gear for my boat. Of course, they can bring/use their own gear and pitch in on gas if they want but I would never charge them a fee or anything like that. I sincerely want to thank the soliders that go to war to protect our freedom and this would be my way of doing that. Any idiers??? Please send me a PM with requests or suggestions) ... "fishon"
    Good idea Bob. One thing that needs a clear understanding is the legal aspected behind giving free stuff to active duty Soldiers or service members. Mel mentioned a guy he refered to as RC, if it's the same guy, he used to run the Youth Center on Ft Richardson.

    I can do some leg work in the next couple of weeks and provide you with some POC's and numbers, I currently work nights on JBER but in 7 days I go back to the day shift, (easier to make calls) I'll start calling for more information.

    (I'll add some folks to my boat too.)


    Tony

  4. #4
    Member AKHunterNP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    902

    Default

    Bob, PM sent
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

  5. #5
    Member HCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mat-Sue
    Posts
    267

    Default

    Bob;
    You could just give me a call, remember I am the Ops guy at the Warrior Transition Battalion at Ft Rich. I can fill you in on all the legalities to keep you out of hot water or link you up with all the other local agencies that do what you are talking about. I deal with these type of donations daily.
    Mike

  6. #6
    Member KelvinG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna, AK
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armed_alaskan View Post
    Good idea Bob. One thing that needs a clear understanding is the legal aspected behind giving free stuff to active duty Soldiers or service members. .......
    Tony
    Legal aspect???

    Tony, donít take this wrong. I think itís great youíre willing to point out possible legal pit falls.

    But what the hell is wrong with this country? Why in the world would there be a "legal aspect" to giving freely to the people who serve our country?

    The older I get, the happier I am that I live in the woods! The fact that as a country we need to legislate EVERYTHING just drives me up a wall.

  7. #7
    Member HCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mat-Sue
    Posts
    267

    Default

    Legal aspect???

    Tony, donít take this wrong. I think itís great youíre willing to point out possible legal pit falls.

    But what the hell is wrong with this country? Why in the world would there be a "legal aspect" to giving freely to the people who serve our country?
    Active duty Soldiers fall into the same catagory as any government offical when it comes to donations, gifts etc, unfortunate but that is the way our elected officials have written the laws. Soldiers and donator can actually get into some serious problems for excepting or donating those things without the dang paperwork that goes with it.
    Now do I agree with the whole thing, no. But not our call anymore that we empowered other people to make the rules for us. And yes I am retired Army so I know exactly what your talking about, when you say it drives you up a wall.
    Mike

  8. #8
    Member Armed_alaskan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Palmer, Alaska
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    Legal aspect???

    Tony, donít take this wrong. I think itís great youíre willing to point out possible legal pit falls.

    But what the hell is wrong with this country? Why in the world would there be a "legal aspect" to giving freely to the people who serve our country?

    The older I get, the happier I am that I live in the woods! The fact that as a country we need to legislate EVERYTHING just drives me up a wall.
    Don't take this wrong, but maybe you should stay in the woods.

  9. #9
    Member KelvinG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna, AK
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armed_alaskan View Post
    Don't take this wrong, but maybe you should stay in the woods.
    Oh I will, no doubt about that!

  10. #10
    Member KelvinG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna, AK
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HCL View Post
    Legal aspect???

    Active duty Soldiers fall into the same catagory as any government offical when it comes to donations, gifts etc, unfortunate but that is the way our elected officials have written the laws. Soldiers and donator can actually get into some serious problems for excepting or donating those things without the dang paperwork that goes with it.
    Now do I agree with the whole thing, no. But not our call anymore that we empowered other people to make the rules for us. And yes I am retired Army so I know exactly what your talking about, when you say it drives you up a wall.
    Mike
    Thanks Mike

    You canít legislate morality.

    I was going to write I guess I can see their point for writing another law, but I canít. I would bet anything covered under this law is covered under civilian bribery laws or equivalent UCMJ laws.

    Anyhow, I donít want to hijack this thread. I think giving back to the men & women who serve our country should be the standard, not the exception. And no matter how many hoops we have to jump through, itís worth it.

  11. #11
    Member Armed_alaskan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Palmer, Alaska
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    Thanks Mike

    You canít legislate morality.

    I was going to write I guess I can see their point for writing another law, but I canít. I would bet anything covered under this law is covered under civilian bribery laws or equivalent UCMJ laws.

    Anyhow, I donít want to hijack this thread. I think giving back to the men & women who serve our country should be the standard, not the exception. And no matter how many hoops we have to jump through, itís worth it.
    Don't get me wrong Kelvin, I completey agee with you on the support to our troops, but the left wing agenda doesn't see it that way.

  12. #12
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    There is no legal ramifications against two friends going fishing so I do not know what you guys are talking about?

    Nobody ever said this was a donation to FRG or a unit or anything else to that affect. One guy said he had a open seat or two this summer and wanted to find someone in the military to fill it. Pretty simple concept but leave it to some of you on here to ruin it.

    Its the exact same thing as me standing there in front of my platoon on Fri afternoon asking the guys if any of them want to go fishing in my boat.

    I better watch my back or you all will turn me in for letting a couple of guys pitch in for fuel to.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

    Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

  13. #13
    Member AKHunterNP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    902

    Default

    There is no legal issue with what Bob offered and you're probably just making him second guess his offer. He doesn't need any special insurance, hold harmless statement or anything else. This is not some organization or foundation, it's a guy with a boat and some available time to help some guys out. He doesn't need any special license or any other requirement.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

  14. #14
    Member Bob the fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Thank You!!! You are correct, almost second guessing this offer. Just wana go fishing with someone that would appreciate it. I don't wana open any new doors to the man coming to see me. Guess we will just wait and see what happens. Won't be for a while as it's 15 degrees outside right now... come on summer!!! "fishon"


    Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    There is no legal issue with what Bob offered and you're probably just making him second guess his offer. He doesn't need any special insurance, hold harmless statement or anything else. This is not some organization or foundation, it's a guy with a boat and some available time to help some guys out. He doesn't need any special license or any other requirement.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

  15. #15
    Member Armed_alaskan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Palmer, Alaska
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    There is no legal ramifications against two friends going fishing so I do not know what you guys are talking about?

    Nobody ever said this was a donation to FRG or a unit or anything else to that affect. One guy said he had a open seat or two this summer and wanted to find someone in the military to fill it. Pretty simple concept but leave it to some of you on here to ruin it.

    Its the exact same thing as me standing there in front of my platoon on Fri afternoon asking the guys if any of them want to go fishing in my boat.

    I better watch my back or you all will turn me in for letting a couple of guys pitch in for fuel to.
    I guess you could ask anybody if they want to go fishing, that's cool.

    The post indicated wanting to give back and get Soldiers not just anybody off the street or it would have been posted that way.

    Also, The post was connected with FWA outing as a planned trip with donations from another Gov't organization with more that two people ( said 20+) indication a planned trip with just military.

    I guess the spin can go anywhere posters want to take it.

    Just trying to help not hinder.

  16. #16
    Member AKHunterNP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    902

    Default

    Army Regulations 1-100 and 1-101 covers "Gifts and Donations" and "Gifts for Distrobution to Individuals".

    5. General policy
    a.
    Accept only those gifts that promote health, comfort, convenience, and morale.
    b.
    Accepting alcoholic beverages is not authorized.
    c.
    The donor must pay all transportation charges from point of origin to recipient


    Also, In general, military personnel and their family members may accept unsolicited gifts as long as they are not offered because of their official position or from a "prohibited source."

    A prohibited source is any person or group that:

    Seeks official action from the employee's agency; does or seeks to do business with his or her agency; conducts activities regulated by his or her agency; or has interests that may be substantially affected by the individual employee's official duties.


    Since Bob is just being a nice guy and offering his time and equipment and not asking for anything in return, I think he's good. No worries Bob.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

  17. #17
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armed_alaskan View Post
    I guess you could ask anybody if they want to go fishing, that's cool.

    The post indicated wanting to give back and get Soldiers not just anybody off the street or it would have been posted that way.

    Also, The post was connected with FWA outing as a planned trip with donations from another Gov't organization with more that two people ( said 20+) indication a planned trip with just military.

    I guess the spin can go anywhere posters want to take it.

    Just trying to help not hinder.

    Bob never said anything about FWA or 20+ Soldiers that was from jedimastersalmonslayer's post about a recent ice fishing trip conducted with the Warrior Transition Unit on Fort Wainwright.

  18. #18
    Member Bob the fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Thats exactly correct. I said I would like to take 2 guys fishing... Don't wana join no FWA or nothing. Just wana go fishin!!!... THATS IT!!! "fishon"



    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Bob never said anything about FWA or 20+ Soldiers that was from jedimastersalmonslayer's post about a recent ice fishing trip conducted with the Warrior Transition Unit on Fort Wainwright.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

  19. #19
    Member Armed_alaskan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Palmer, Alaska
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Bob never said anything about FWA or 20+ Soldiers that was from jedimastersalmonslayer's post about a recent ice fishing trip conducted with the Warrior Transition Unit on Fort Wainwright.

    His Idea came from the attached post from jedimastersalmonslayer's post and made the comment about thanking Soldiers' so that's how this topic started. At this point you can put an ad in the paper,,,, someone may take you up on it,,,,, or,,,,, you can spin it anyway you want,,,,, I really don't care anymore,,,,, do as you will.

    Carry on!

  20. #20
    Member AKHunterNP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armed_alaskan View Post
    His Idea came from the attached post from jedimastersalmonslayer's post and made the comment about thanking Soldiers' so that's how this topic started. At this point you can put an ad in the paper,,,, someone may take you up on it,,,,, or,,,,, you can spin it anyway you want,,,,, I really don't care anymore,,,,, do as you will.

    Carry on!
    Wow, no need to get so hostile. You're right, his IDEA came from a post that someone had an actual organized event. His is not an organized event, just a guy looking to do a good deed for some Soldiers. There is nothing wrong with what he is doing. He's not doing it for a tax write off, recognition or compensation so there is no "spin" to put on it. relax a bit.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •