0 0%
  • Sheep, Montana creek & other Matsu Valley King

8 17.02%
  • Kusko King

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Fav King, new & improved poll

Default Fav King, new & improved poll

What's your favorite King salmon? me I perfer the Fatty boombatty Yukon king salmon!!!

i immediately assumed we were talking about favorite to fish for or catch...
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

My favorite King is whatever King I've been able to fool into taking my fly offering and is heading back to the ocean like a freight train on steriods. As for eating, the closer to saltwater the better.

I didn't know anyone was "farming" kings? Aren't fish farms illegal (for now?) If the poll is referring to hatchery kings, then I'd have to select 3 options: SE, Ocean and Farmed since they're all the same down here.

For eating, I've never eaten a river fish. For catching, the farther away from the mainland we are the more explosive the fight. For commercial, I prefer the hatchery kings because they're all nice and uniform size, texture, etc... makes for better sales to restaurants!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

if you've ever ate ocean kings then you will vote ocean kings. I have not tasted anyfish better then those ocean kings.

Quote Originally Posted by markw3 View Post
    i immediately assumed we were talking about favorite to fish for or catch...
    Call me biased, but I vote for these:

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Don't get to fish Kings in many different places, but this brute came out of Ship Creek in May of 2003 - my first for the 2003 season. This is my largest fish out of Ship to date. Caught on a Shag Rug fly - a fly of my own design, a sort of spawn fly/egg sack spinoff. Taken on a 10 wt. with an old Pflueger 1099 Double Action reel. Broke this rod on a good fish in 2006. This was one GOOOD EATIN' King !!! Can't WAIT for the 2007 run!

The first truly fresh Alaskan salmon I ever had was grilled Kusko king....haven't beat it yet....but I keep tryin.

Best catch was a dime bright, lice shakin, 20 pounder I caught on a fly while waitin for a plane in Quinahagak on the Kanektok....that was unbelievable. I was fishin for a Dolly.

And hey, isn't one of the worlds largest run of kings on the Nushagak in Bristol Bay, why isn't that one listed.....oh, that's right, it's 5 percent locals and 95 percent Texans fishing it, all guided by folks from Oregon....never mind, silly me.

ps, My real favorite are the kings that bring about 199,999 relatives with them 30 miles from my front door.

Thumbs up Favorite King

I voted for ocean kings for best eating. However, my favorite King fisheries are a couple of small coastal rivers in south central Alaska. Fish are dime bright chrome, avg 25 - 30lbs, and primarily caught from the bank. It does not get any better when your getting double digit hooks ups, and the only other fisherman are the people in your party, and the bears. We could probably start a new thread on the best rivers in Alaska for King fishing.

I voted ocean kings, but I end up mostly with Yukon kings since the gf goes home every summer to put up fish.
    Now what ?

Thumbs up Nice fish sketch

How big was that king. 35-40? Very nice, I don't see too many of them that big in ship creek. My biggest fish out of there is 30. I think if you go early in the morning when it isn't crowded ship can be great.

Talking Had to hump this...

FATTY BOOMBATTY From a .25 mile away from the house...http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...e06085copy.jpg

I didn't think you could grow em that big in a tub........

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonMan View Post
    How big was that king. 35-40? Very nice, I don't see too many of them that big in ship creek. My biggest fish out of there is 30. I think if you go early in the morning when it isn't crowded ship can be great.
    To be honest, I don't really know except that it bottomed out my handheld scale, which if memory serves me, went to 50 or 55 lbs. I know handhelds aren't very accurate, but man, that was a heavy fish!

Default gusdog...

That Fatty boombatty was carried home from a carnival won from a coin toss game...